FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
  • Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    No live anchovies at WP for us sporties, they are not catching enough for general sales

Reactions: TJzTJ
    Upvote 0

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    Grady White 265 Express Walkaround
    Do you know if this temporary or expected to last the remainder of the season?

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    There are no tuna. Do not go fishing. You would be a fool to go give it a try.
    That’s what they’ve told me on the docks today. Are you nuts?? We’re going anyway. Gotta see what the boat needs anyway.
    Do you know if this temporary or expected to last the remainder of the season?
    no anchovies in the bay. What you see the birds hitting is the wrong stuff. Herring and whatever else. I’ve been told they can get some anchovies out of the Willapa but need a calm ocean to get them here without too much dead loss. Just need some chovies in the Grays Harbor and then they might be able to fill the pens.

Upvote 0

zing1402

Jul 13, 2020
    yorba linda
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    which one
    1628201287435.png

these imitate i live baitfish it said so on tv

Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
  • Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    That’s what they’ve told me on the docks today. Are you nuts?? We’re going anyway. Gotta see what the boat needs anyway.

no anchovies in the bay. What you see the birds hitting is the wrong stuff. Herring and whatever else. I’ve been told they can get some anchovies out of the Willapa but need a calm ocean to get them here without too much dead loss. Just need some chovies in the Grays Harbor and then they might be able to fill the pens.
    I’ll be on the hunt friday, they are never there, until they are:)

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    A little info to help…. Down in Depoe Bay bait was not available, so we adapted… The use of dead bait can be awesome!!

Locate fish In whatever fashion, sonar, troll, spot, whatever… as you slide in start fishing irons, then someone (it was usually me) begins to slide dead chovies with a live bait hook in them out into the mix… depending on the drift you can slide two or three out… I use a 1/4 or 3/8 oz inline weight to take a couple down a smidge…. Freespool with clicker on and go back to jogging… toss out a few chum baits ever so often to keep the fish coming up on ya…

You’ll be catching jog fish and suddenly you’ll hear the clicker go off…. Point the rod at them and slide it into gear just like you would a live bait and your hooked up!

Patience is the key with jigs and dead bait… If you are in fish and/or marking fish be patient….. it can take 20-30 minutes before you get them under you…

Upvote 0

bdrlgion

Apr 11, 2014
    Seattle
    Name
    "Mulligan"
    Boat
    18' Tiderunner Runabout
    Soooo to all of the tuna gurus what are the best iron choices?
    Flatfalls or flat sides (112g are my fav all-around weights), or P-line lazer minnows in 3-4oz work just as well and are easier on the wallet by a factor of 4. Just replace the hooks on the p-lines with stronger/better ones. Some days it doesn't matter. Some days it's worth cycling through a few diff choices.

Upvote 0

Chasin' Tail

~Jumpers!!~ <*)))><
    Aug 10, 2008
    Lacey WA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    17' Thor-Built Sled, 27' NorthRiver OS
    Break out the Hand Lines & Tuna cord .......and troll ...troll... troll ...troll...troll ...troll and Troll!

Upvote 0

Salmon Hunter

Apr 29, 2010
    West Richland WA
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    19’ Northwest Jet
    As of yesterday not only were they not selling to recreational boats, but charters only could get one scoop. Apparently the lack of anchovies has been a major problem since early May.

Upvote 0

TheWoman

Nobody cares. Work harder.
    Jul 11, 2009
    Olympia
    Name
    Erica
    Boat
    Once you go cat, you don’t go back
    NOAA identified a hypoxic zone on the WA/OR coast, but specifically in Grays Harbor earlier this year. The lack of oxygen in the water means no plankton for chovies to feed on, so no chovies for us. Hope yall havent been skipping arm day at the gym - gonna be a lot of jigging this summer.

Upvote 0

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    Time to check the regs again for cast net rules I guess. Haven’t thrown one in 15 years since I moved here but maybe it’s the only live bait option other than Sabiki rigs.

Upvote 0

Baby J

Grady prick in training
  • Jul 28, 2017
    Graham, WA
    Name
    Jeremy
    Boat
    I’ll see your Banjo minnow and raise you a Rapala jigging rap. I’m totally addicted to using these jigs and have been very successful using them in fresh and salt water. The way they move when jigged is impossible for predator fish to resist. I’m just worried the hooks are too small for tuna.

Upvote 0