Saltwater Ugly Bayliner limits @ Westport - 24# King!!!

Trent

Almost A Member
Jul 16, 2009
Olympia WA
Name
Trent E Rickman
Boat
20' NorthWest Signature
Steve's dad is up visiting from California, and Steve really wanted to take him out salmon fishing... He called me and said it's gonna be pretty calm out there Wednesday, according to the weather man... and we all know the weather man never lies....
Boss let me take my personal holiday, so I cured 4 dozen herring, we hooked up ol' Ugly and headed to Westport Tuesday evening and spent the night at a friends cabin.
Alarm went off Wednesday morning at 5:00 am and we were crossing the bar by 6:05 am. The whole fleet went about 10 miles north, so we followed 'em, only to find mass jellys... Steve had one fish hit and break off, and I caught one wild Coho and that was it...
At 8:00 am Steve told me to give Mike a call and find out where they killed 'em on Tuesday. Mike totally hooked us up, so we pulled up and made the 10 mile run to the numbers he gave us. We were the only boat around until a late starter saw us and ran out to fish by us... not so much because he was inspired by the site of Ol' Ugly... He just had no idea where everyone else was.
We put the gear out and in less than 5 minutes I hooked into a 10# King! Bonked, bled and iced him, and got another plug cut herring out behind the UV green flasher... A few minutes later, WHAM!!! I'm hooked into a 24# King!!! I'm really feeling grateful to Mike about this time...
We continued to fish near those numbers, making the GPS chart look like a spaghetti ball in that area, and consistently hooked fish until we had our limit. We threw back about 15 fish - mostly wild Coho and 4 or 5 undersized Chinook. Didn't get anymore keeper Kings after the first two, but ended up with 4 dandy hatchery Coho.

... we started the day with 48 herring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzvYwlR6Hsg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_OTmlaGBQ0

Attachments

• IMG_0751.jpg
    IMG_0751.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0766.jpg
    IMG_0766.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0768.jpg
    IMG_0768.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0773.jpg
    IMG_0773.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0774.jpg
    IMG_0774.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0782.jpg
    IMG_0782.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2009
Bremerton/wa/USA
Name
Chuck
Boat
Almar 16'
I cant make out the #'s on the chartplotter,you need a better pic! great job hookin up the californian with some NW fun!

Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    Nice catch!!

Best thing about "Ole Ugly" Fish do not know if you are in a $500 boat or a $60000 boat---just how you bait and what you use and where.

Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Way To Go! Old boats are good, fun and cheap. The old bayliner can still catch em.

Do we want to go there? (Good On Ya! for taking a cali boy fishing up here in the PNW)
    Trent
    You put the link to gamefishin and that troll Nastydrifter lives there since 30 july 2009. A Dull tool in the wood shed.

Upvote 0

Rbob32

Almost A Member
    Aug 9, 2008
    Olympia, Wa
    Name
    Robert Rosie
    Boat
    22, Raider, Sea Raider
    My eyes may be bad but I can make out either 452' or 45.2 ft depth. I am guessing 45.2ft.

Upvote 0

e2_sla

May 21, 2009
    Renton, WA
    Name
    Erik Sweet
    Boat
    20' Woodlridge, Catch 27
    thats 452', you can see his depth chat is set at 600 on lower left corner!!! Atta boy with the out of towners. We did Tess's mom and Grandma from North dakota and Montana to a 29lbs king in Elliot bay a week and a half ago....

Upvote 0

Chasin' Tail

~Jumpers!!~ <*)))><
    Aug 10, 2008
    Lacey WA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    17' Thor-Built Sled, 27' NorthRiver OS
    Im glad to see those numbers put you on some fish. Im going back to them in the AM

All i want to know is were there any hearts eaten?

and no he wasnt in 452' of water. Thats how far he is from the waypoint on his GPS

Upvote 0

dragonballs

I'm off probation
  • Mar 28, 2008
    Arlington WA
    Name
    Vance
    Boat
    40' ocean sport fisher
    great job and nice pics, doesn't matter how old the boat.

Upvote 0

old crow

old crow
    Feb 15, 2008
    Puyallup, WA
    Name
    Duane
    Boat
    22ft Boulton
    i plan on going monday got the kicker running again

hope the weather will be good

i use to have family come up from out of state ,but you can't plan things a month in advance cause of all the changes from wdfw

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Nice job. I sure hope that Cali dad had his breakfast heart :)

Upvote 0

Ugly Bayliner

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 18, 2008
    Olympia, Wa USA
    Name
    Steve Ericsson
    Boat
    20' Ugly Bayliner
    Hah! No hearts eaten, Laurence! At least not this time...

The ol' Ugly Bayliner has seen its share of bloody decks since I've owned it the last 6 years, that's for sure. One thing, when these fish come in calmly and get a look at her, they go ape-shit trying to get away!!!

Here's the crew, the catch, and The Ugly Bayliner herself! If ever you see us out there, swing by and say hi!

thumbsup.jpg

Me and dad with the first salmon he's ever caught! He brought probably 12-15 to the boat looking for his clipped ho's!

SteveandDad.jpg

Here's Trent's catch o' the day.....

trentshog.jpg

And why Trent's gonna' need a bigger sink!!

sinkload.jpg

Fun day on the water, should be great out there all weekend, go get 'em gang!!

Upvote 0

NastyDrifter

Bearded Clam Connoisseur
    Jun 28, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Way To Go! Old boats are good, fun and cheap. The old bayliner can still catch em.

Do we want to go there? (Good On Ya! for taking a cali boy fishing up here in the PNW)
    Trent
    You put the link to gamefishin and that troll Nastydrifter lives there since 30 july 2009. A Dull tool in the wood shed.

I'm a dull tool? At least I don't ram goats. :finger:

Upvote 0