UFO, Iron Man, Sumo History

Fillets4Days

Mar 30, 2016
Perris, CA
Name
Jared
Boat
NA
So back when I was first getting into saltwater fishing my favorite jigs were the UFO & Iron Man 2’s & 3’s and lately I’ve been wondering what the history was on those brands and jig shapes. I know Fish Trap made them for a while and Sumo currently does but if anyone has any insight on the history and is in the story telling mood I am all ears. :-)

Last edited:
Reactions: CartridgeCalls

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
So I back when I was first getting into saltwater fishing my favorite jigs were the UFO & Iron Man 2’s & 3’s and lately I’ve been wondering what the history was on those brands and jig shapes. I know Fish Trap made them for a while and Sumo currently does but if anyone has any insight on the history and is in the story telling mood I am all ears. :-)
Fire Iron was another one too,
and they were made in China,
till the molds some how got lost . So shocking , not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fillets4Days

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I've caught so many yellows on Ironman 5's..great yoyo jig.
my Late friend used to sell the Fire Iron #5 for $4.00 each,
I still think that I still have like 20 of them, Blue and White ones ,
from the El Nino days, and there not for Sale .

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
sou cal
Name
Frank
Boat
Kayak
my Late friend used to sell the Fire Iron #5 for $4.00 each,
I still think that I still have like 20 of them, Blue and White ones ,
from the El Nino days, and there not for Sale .
dont blame him..scrambled egg, dorado, blue & white, blue and chrome...all good

Reactions: jer dog

ZZZZZ

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Sumo Jr, Sumo 6, Iron Man 5, Fish Trap 2

The Sumo JR chrome when there is small yellowfin on the surface and below and yellowtail is my favorite. Probably because I used that jig allot also. Skip jig or yoyo on a mid length rod. Skip jig one cast then yoyo the next. Half way through the skip jig retrieve can sink it out and yoyo back with angle. It's just fun to get radical and fish different depths without changing jigs

Not a fan of the Sumo 6 which imo is like a dud 6x. And never really fished Iron Man 5s or fish Traps or UFOs. Just noticed I have a Iron Man 5 and Fish Trap 2.

Same day changed pants to shorts. 2008 coming back from Lupe we are kelping YFT, YT, and Dorado schools. The end of the Albacore year and they had already split before this trip. Was skip jigging for YFT and when the Skipjack would get thick. I would sink the Sumo JR out. Skipjack was all over the skip jig so sunk the jig out deep. Got bit soon after winding by a YFT and the YFT came off. A few seconds later this lone Albacore ate the Sumo JR. It was one of the last Albacore caught out of SD at the end of the run. That's my fish story

Might sound weird. But a Calstar 700H with a medium size yoyo iron can be used for skip jig. A far cast can be made with a 700H and a semi heavy jig. For windy conditions the heavier iron cuts through the wind. The old Trinidad 30s if the variable clicker is removed the free spool increases to super fast. The long rod is most common for skip jig but the mid length rod is fun versatility on each cast. Working all the zones with the same jig

IMG_20201022_182147.jpg
151034-1222186985-9fb9c7d828963f0395ff601889f13d36.jpg
151033-1222186985-2862f3a00ba39c7112d6c40874a78783 (2).jpg

koubster

The Juice
May 30, 2009
Brentwood ca
Name
Orenthal james Simpson
Boat
SS white bronco
Sumo Jr, Sumo 6, Iron Man 5, Fish Trap 2

The Sumo JR chrome when there is small yellowfin on the surface and below and yellowtail is my favorite. Probably because I used that jig allot also. Skip jig or yoyo on a mid length rod. Skip jig one cast then yoyo the next. Half way through the skip jig retrieve can sink it out and yoyo back with angle. It's just fun to get radical and fish different depths without changing jigs

Not a fan of the Sumo 6 which imo is like a dud 6x. And never really fished Iron Man 5s or fish Traps or UFOs. Just noticed I have a Iron Man 5 and Fish Trap 2.

Same day changed pants to shorts. 2008 coming back from Lupe we are kelping YFT, YT, and Dorado schools. The end of the Albacore year and they had already split before this trip. Was skip jigging for YFT and when the Skipjack would get thick. I would sink the Sumo JR out. Skipjack was all over the skip jig so sunk the jig out deep. Got bit soon after winding by a YFT and the YFT came off. A few seconds later this lone Albacore ate the Sumo JR. It was one of the last Albacore caught out of SD at the end of the run. That's my fish story

Might sound weird. But a Calstar 700H with a medium size yoyo iron can be used for skip jig. A far cast can be made with a 700H and a semi heavy jig. For windy conditions the heavier iron cuts through the wind. The old Trinidad 30s if the variable clicker is removed the free spool increases to super fast. The long rod is most common for skip jig but the mid length rod is fun versatility on each cast. Working all the zones with the same jig

View attachment 1215226View attachment 1215235View attachment 1215236
That fish trap is a gem!

Reactions: monster1

monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
That fish trap is a gem!
I bought a bunch of those several years ago at turners. I'm going on a full day trip to catalina tomorrow while my boat is down. Plan on leaving the shit show combat fishing at the stern alone and just sling these and promar deception jigs off the bow.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I bought a bunch of those several years ago at turners. I'm going on a full day trip to catalina tomorrow while my boat is down. Plan on leaving the shit show combat fishing at the stern alone and just sling these and promar deception jigs off the bow.
if I were you, I would pick up A couple ,
Colt Sniper Stick baits to throw off the Bow .

monster1

Typical Striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
if I were you, I would pick up A couple ,
Colt Sniper Stick baits to throw off the Bow .
Thanks man. My buddy has a few I can throw. Are those good for the yellows? How do you retrieve?

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Thanks man. My buddy has a few I can throw. Are those good for the yellows? How do you retrieve?
Last month there was A guy on my trip that hooked 2, Yellows
and he Boated one, but A Seal stole the other one,
he just was doing different speeds on the retrieve , just be sure to use 40 LB, or better leader .

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
That fish trap is a gem!
Cool. As mentioned. Didn't even remember I had it burried away. Have not opened that tray for along time but knew some old jigs that I have not fished were in there. Found some Braid Bombs

Don't fish small iron much. When I should had at times. Like the rubber

Did fish the small Salas Christys

Last edited:

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Looks like it would get a lot of “short bites” with those fish friendly hook covers still in place!
Sure looking hard and that's what you got out of the post LOL

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Just found a old new Fish Trap 1. Wondering what trip I scored the 1 and 2 on, giveaways. Also a, Action broke back lure.
IMG_20201025_103404.jpg

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Like a treasure chest. SM 2.2 who made this?

IMG_20201025_104208.jpg

koubster

The Juice
May 30, 2009
Brentwood ca
Name
Orenthal james Simpson
Boat
SS white bronco
Cool. As mentioned. Didn't even remember I had it burried away. Have not opened that tray for along time but knew some old jigs that I have not fished were in there. Found some Braid Bombs

Don't fish small iron much. When I should had at times. Like the rubber

Did fish the small Salas Christys
I’ve had days where that things outfished the standard heavy stuff locally two to one on yt.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I’ve had days where that things outfished the standard heavy stuff locally two to one on yt.
Locally, the blue and white,
Fire iron # 2, with new hooks on it,
I have caught YT , and calico Bass to
5 LB, and a ton of barries .