UFC - 104 Macida vs Rua

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by ?? fisherman, Oct 23, 2009.

1. calicopro

calicopro Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    17' Boston Whaler Montauk.... "Chocolate Bass"
    I will say Gleison was pretty fuckin huge come fight time, but perhaps the cutting of weight got to him, because he was gassin' in that fight.

2. blowboater

blowboater Fishing with Papa

Name:
    Joel
    Boat:
    35' cheoy lee - Sold
    What a jackass comment!

I thought Machida might have won 2 rounds - they were close. Shogun seemed to dominate - but when you're just counting punches and kicks for points sometimes the tally doesn't go to who looked most dominate.

I'm sure as hell glad I wasn't getting my legs kicked like that!!:fighting0061:

3. vdub

vdub Newbie

Name:
    Vincent
    Boat:
    Rainbow Sandals, Volcom Board Shorts
    i honestly agree with everybody in that shogun rightfully won the fight. but i can see how a lot of people got blindly swayed by this decision to be a robbery. when judging mma, the judges judge each round on a lot of criteria.

1. hit landing percentage: the reason why it was as close as it was, was because machida's landing percentage was ridiculously high compared to shogun's. shogun threw a lot of punches and kicks, but probably landed roughly 40% of them (ballpark guess, dont hold me to these stats) but machida on the other hand was landing somewhere between 70-80% of hits strikes. this plays a pretty big factor in how the points are scored.
    2. takedowns: another big one new ufc watchers will come to learn is judges reward takedowns a lot of points when it goes to their decision. but stuffing a takedown is worth almost just as much, and machida had stuffed 3-4? takedowns by shogun.
    3. damage dealt: this is the biggest reason why everyone (as well as I) thought shogun won. machida's face was relatively jacked compared to shogun. machida had also received more leg damage, and just as much body damage as shogun. and in the end THIS IS A FIGHT, whoever gets fucked up the most should lose!

the final factor of swaying audiences behind the screen is joe rogan. joe rogan was winning my opinion of the fight until i watched the fight again without audio. joe rogan kept talking about shogun shogun shogun, and when you hear that name that many times regarding that the hits landed, of course you're gunna believe him and say that's the real decision.

at the end of the day, it was a really close fight. i believe it was a wrongfully judged match too, and i feel bad for both fighters in this situation because machida is now questioned as a champion and shogun doesnt have a belt after an amazing performance against a killer in his prime. but believe that if shogun landed one of his takedowns, just one of them, that belt would be his