Olddog8

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 13, 2012
Poway,ca
Name
Rick
Boat
Sold long ago
I've only used my Wahoo Jr's fishing for Wahoo with Jigs/Bombs. I've caught a couple 25-40lb YFT while fishing Wahoo but have never really pushed the limits on these rods.
Is the Wahoo Jr capable of fishing 15+lbs of drag on mid grade tuna (BFT locally or YFT at the Lupe)?

norcaltunaclub

www.octunaclub.com
Mar 18, 2011
Orange County
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
I've only used my Wahoo Jr's fishing for Wahoo with Jigs/Bombs. I've caught a couple 25-40lb YFT while fishing Wahoo but have never really pushed the limits on these rods.
Is the Wahoo Jr capable of fishing 15+lbs of drag on mid grade tuna (BFT locally or YFT at the Lupe)?
If you’re planning to use the Jr with 15lbs of drag, you should be okay so long if you’re dealing with fish in the <80lb category. You will be sacrificing lift if you hook stuff in the 80-100+lb category, which just translates to longer fight times. If you want a bit more backbone and lifting power, move to the 80 Wahoo 50-80lb. I use this exact rod on those nicer grade YFT at Guadalupe and they handle those 80-130lb fish just fine when fishing with 15+lbs of drag with 60lb fluoro. Hope this helps.

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
Poway,ca
Name
Rick
Boat
Sold long ago
If you’re planning to use the Jr with 15lbs of drag, you should be okay so long if you’re dealing with fish in the <80lb category. You will be sacrificing lift if you hook stuff in the 80-100+lb category, which just translates to longer fight times. If you want a bit more backbone and lifting power, move to the 80 Wahoo 50-80lb. I use this exact rod on those nicer grade YFT at Guadalupe and they handle those 80-130lb fish just fine when fishing with 15+lbs of drag with 60lb fluoro. Hope this helps.
Thanks Doug, that's the kind of info I was looking for. May not be the right rods when you need to get serious (Taxman at the Lupe or crazy ass Bluefin locally).
I knew they are parabolic in action but have never had to push one to see where it shuts off.

norcaltunaclub

www.octunaclub.com
Mar 18, 2011
Orange County
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Thanks Doug, that's the kind of info I was looking for. May not be the right rods when you need to get serious (Taxman at the Lupe or crazy ass Bluefin locally).
I knew they are parabolic in action but have never had to push one to see where it shuts off.
Rick,

Glad I could help. The attached photo is my 80 Wahoo fully loaded with close to 20lbs of drag. It got the job done just fine on those 80-130lb YFT @ Lupe. Had this been the Jr, not sure if the lift would have been bottoming out.....good luck!

6670A1D9-B959-4D72-A303-8C731EB1AFE1.jpeg

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
Poway,ca
Name
Rick
Boat
Sold long ago
Wow, I knew the Wahoo rod was parabolic but dang. There is no way I want to use more than 15lbs of drag to fight a descent size tuna on the Wahoo Jr.
Thanks guys!

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Rick,

Glad I could help. The attached photo is my 80 Wahoo fully loaded with close to 20lbs of drag. It got the job done just fine on those 80-130lb YFT @ Lupe. Had this been the Jr, not sure if the lift would have been bottoming out.....good luck!

View attachment 1048851

Great photo Doug but IMO does not really show the lift capabilities of the rod as it appears that you are actually fighting the fish almost straight off the reel.....the following post with the spinner IMO shows the Wahoo 80 fully loaded

Reactions: Olddog8 and 998R

fishdoggary

I do what I want Bitch!
Aug 23, 2007
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Gary
Boat
Intrepid
The Wahoo Jr. is a 40-60 pound rated rod with a mod to fast taper.
At the top of the rating it is a light 50# rod at best. I believe it would handle 20# of drag but that would be at its limit.
It would probably handle a 40 to 50 bluefin but it would most likely bottom out at the end of the battle...
An 80 Tilefish or an 80 Predator would be a better choice in my opinion.
My choice for a rod for for 80 to 100# class tuna would be the UC RCP70 HP 50 to 80 with lots of back bone when you need it.

Reactions: Fishybuzz

998R

May 22, 2008
san diego
Name
M
Boat
Blue Monkey, BM2
looks like a Stella...
^ bingo

8’ UC US Wahoo paired with a
Stella 14000 80lb MC, FG knot 60lb seaguar premier 1/0 mutu owner.

My brother and I landed 7 out of 23 bft averaging 70lbs, 25 anglers. Only spinner on board. Drags tight after the first run, Pull hard! And that’s how you land these fish under 20mins.

norcaltunaclub

www.octunaclub.com
Mar 18, 2011
Orange County
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
Great photo Doug but IMO does not really show the lift capabilities of the rod as it appears that you are actually fighting the fish almost straight off the reel.....the following post with the spinner IMO shows the Wahoo 80 fully loaded
That shot was taken just moments before the gaff was sunk in and trust me, I was leaning hard into the rod getting that 80 wahoo to lift that fish to gaff. Both photos demonstrate lift from 2 different techniques used to get the fish on the right side of the wood. IMO.......

YFT Chris

Oct 13, 2016
Huntington Beach
Name
Chris Insley
Boat
Intrepid
The Wahoo Jr. is a 40-60 pound rated rod with a mod to fast taper.
At the top of the rating it is a light 50# rod at best. I believe it would handle 20# of drag but that would be at its limit.
It would probably handle a 40 to 50 bluefin but it would most likely bottom out at the end of the battle...
An 80 Tilefish or an 80 Predator would be a better choice in my opinion.
My choice for a rod for for 80 to 100# class tuna would be the UC RCP70 HP 50 to 80 with lots of back bone when you need it.
I'm agreeing with Gary's assessment here....I hooked a solid YFT by accident on the Wahoo Jr fishing on the last Silent Jim Intrepid trip. I put out the sardine on the 48# wire after a couple hoo's were hooked on the anchor. The wrong kind bit that one...in about 60 seconds I was dangerously close to being spooled on the Penn 25NLD2 as the first test. 30 minutes later way up on the bow in a solid ground swell I thought I had a chance...got back to my mono topshot (70 yards to go) and the rod was about maxed. I don't really know what drag I was pulling...earlier Kirk had to save my butt on that first blistering run by buttoning the drag. Well shortly after that, the wire broke as the big circle was going on up on the bow....I never got to see that one. I think the battle could have have gone on a long time barring the wire failure. It was a good fish for that rig and probably a bit beyond in any circumstance. The Wahoo Jr and the 25NLD2 is sweet combo. I also have the US80 Wahoo and that would have been the more proper rod for the above situation.

Terryw

Capitan
Apr 7, 2012
San Diego/ca/usa
Name
Terry
Boat
42 Henriques
Just got back from a trip where I loaned my Wahoo Jr. and Torque 25N2LD to a guy. He made pretty short work of a 85# BFT caught on a flat fall. I think it's sweet spot is 40-50#. On the rail it was lifting the fish just fine.

Reactions: dh515 and Olddog8