BicolBoy

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 22, 2005
San Francisco
Name
Caesar
Boat
27', asiacraft, isabella
Folks - looking to get a custom stick (UC RCE 800 Wahoo) and will use primarily for 40# and 50#. What guide sizing and layout to accommodate the following reels:
  1. Accurate Tern 400, 500 and 600N
  2. Avet JX and HX
  3. Shimano Tranx 500 and Daiwa Lexa 400
Also what fuji or alps guides would you recommend. Thanks in advance!

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
Dec 28, 2017
Lake Los Angeles, CA
Name
Hector Garcia
Boat
I need a ride.
Id go Alps XN regular.

I would start with 20 and end at 10. Its a little hard to get a rod setup for multiple reels, but I would probably recommend a srock one instead, or do stock guide spacing. Those are normally made to accept multiple reels since they are not custom made for a specific reel.

A custom rod is generally built for a specific reel, so you account for spool height, and a ton of other factors.

I think youre going to have problems with the low profile reels, but it could work if you set it up correctly.

Chandler Carpenter

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 29, 2016
Carlsbad
Name
Chandler Carpenter
Boat
None
The hard one is building it for conventional then low profile for 1 and 2 I would go with a 25 Alps XN to start with size 10 runners. But a 25 maybe to tall for the tranx or lexa, hopefully you have access to at least one of the conventional and one low profile on you list to get it right.

SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
I'd most likely start with a 25 for all those reels except the Lexa 400, which rides really low on the blank. For that reel a 20 might be better. Depending on what kind of line setup you are looking to use I'd most likely scope down to either 10s or 8's as the smallest guides. Layout is going to need a static test and will be different if you use the 20 or 25, or the 8s or 10s. Might need one more guide if you go smaller, might not.

BicolBoy

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 22, 2005
San Francisco
Name
Caesar
Boat
27', asiacraft, isabella
Thanks for the feedback guys. SouthBayKiller, are you suggesting that size 25 would be ok for the tranx 500 plus groups 1 and 2 above? I can drop the lexa from the specs.

Which XN? the ones rated for 50#+?

Also would you guys recommend reverse installation of the alps reel seat?

Chandler Carpenter

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 29, 2016
Carlsbad
Name
Chandler Carpenter
Boat
None
Thanks for the feedback guys. SouthBayKiller, are you suggesting that size 25 would be ok for the tranx 500 plus groups 1 and 2 above? I can drop the lexa from the specs.

The regular xn that is rated up to 50 is good. Thats what the factory UC wahoo uses. The CE Wahoo is a good 50lb rod its a little light for 60 but those guides can handle 60 when needed. The HXN's are really for like rail rods and heavy troll rods they would add unnecessary weight to the wahoo.

Reactions: BicolBoy

SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none

Yes a 25 will be fine for a Tranx 500, I fish that reel on all my jig sticks which all have a size 25 stripper, no problem there at all. A Lexa will work with it too, it’s just not ideal. I watched a guy fish all weekend with an upside down spinning rod and got all his tuna in. We are talking about optimal stuff, functionally its not as different as we make it out to be (IMHO).

Chandler Carpenter

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 29, 2016
Carlsbad
Name
Chandler Carpenter
Boat
None
Yes a 25 will be fine for a Tranx 500, I fish that reel on all my jig sticks which all have a size 25 stripper, no problem there at all. A Lexa will work with it too, it’s just not ideal. I watched a guy fish all weekend with an upside down spinning rod and got all his tuna in. We are talking about optimal stuff, functionally its not as different as we make it out to be (IMHO).
Lol saw a guy catch limits of YT like that earlier this year, it was driving the captain nuts

skrilla

allirks
May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Len
Boat
plastic fantastic
Most of the reels you listed are taller so I'd start with a 25 stripper and go from there.

Static test is best test for guide layout.

Alps XN or Fuji MN and K guides are the usual suspects on my rod lathe for similar builds. Hard to go wrong with either.

Nothing too wrong with down locking. I'm going that route for my next 2 personal builds.