UC CX80 Predator (50-80# rating) custom rail rod “Reel Choice”?

LR Houdini

Jun 26, 2020
Long Beach, Ca.
Name
Don Burnett
Boat
N/A
Any reel suggestions for my new custom UC CX80 Raptor rail rod ?

I’m partial to the Okuma Makaria SEa’s and the Penn Fathoms … I’ve been fishing with both this year…

I’m not sure if this new rail rod is going to be too much for a MK 15TII SEa ?
If so … then I’m considering fitting it with a Penn Fathom 40N ?

You know something to handle 60#+ top shots and 100#+++ bluefin 🎣

I have the MK 50,20,16 SEa ‘s and UC Viper (130#), Centaur (100#), a Calstar 775XH (80#) … all rail rods …

Im looking for a good solid 60# outfit “REEL” that fits my new UC CX80 Raptor rail rod ?
Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

Shon

Fish til I can't fish no more
  • Jan 21, 2014
    Redondo Beach/ Mammoth
    Name
    Shon
    Boat
    Pac Voyager/Vagabond
    I have the Okuma Andros 16ll on my CX80 Raptor. It’s a killer combo. Killed tuna to 120# already!
    I think the Makaira 15t ot 16 would be epic on that rod! They are fantastic reels!

LR Houdini
    LR Houdini
    I fished my MK16II with 600 yds of 80# hollow and a 25 ft 60# wind-on fitted to my Calstar 775XH rail rod (60-120#) and put a 120#+- bluefin in the boat … so you guys are right … I figure I can switch hit between the MK15T and my MK16 on either rod until I decide which is the best fit…
    Thanks
    Reactions: Shon
    Upvote 0

LR Houdini

Jun 26, 2020
    Long Beach, Ca.
    Name
    Don Burnett
    Boat
    N/A
    LR Houdini
    LR Houdini
    I’ve been fishing either or 60#-80# top shots … the last trip they were line shy so I used 60# on my MK16II … got lucky and snagged a 120# … but I’d rather fish 🎣 an 80# top shot on my 755XH Calstar (60-120#) … I’m hoping a 60# top shot on the CX80 Raptor isn’t too light … might have to back the drag back down a tad …
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Pyromedic56

Jul 7, 2020
    Northern California
    Name
    Steve Land
    Boat
    None
    I have a Penn Fathom 40N 2-speed on my 76 Raptor. I’m going to use it as a 60lb/light 80lb rig next month.

LR Houdini
    LR Houdini
    I’ve seen a few of the Penn Fathom 40N’s fished on several boats this year … when the 40N is the docks reel they put on their rental rods …that tells you something … they are a reliable reel … good drag system, good line capacity, and will stand up to the larger bluefin with that die cast aluminum frame ….
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
    Jul 3, 2004
    BD Outdoors
    Name
    John
    Boat
    None
    I fish mine , with the following reels ..
    visx 12
    torque 40nld2
    mak 15T
    all good from 50-60 lbs

LR Houdini
    LR Houdini
    I’ve been asking over a year ago if UC were planning on making a 10E…
    I read your last write-up …
    I got my hands on a blank yesterday … wasn’t cheap, but I wanted a 10 foot stick, have you sold your three blanks yet ?
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

aznboy619

Abalone King
    Apr 25, 2006
    Alhambra
    Name
    Victor
    Boat
    None
    You got a lot of great choices for reel for the 80 Raptor. It will depend on what price range you are comfortable on the reels.

I have fished my 80 Raptor with a 12VISX, Avet HXW Raptor, Makaira 15T, Torque 40N2, Dauntless 600, etc. It is all about what your a comfortable with.

Reactions: Bob Sands
    Upvote 0

LR Houdini

Jun 26, 2020
    Long Beach, Ca.
    Name
    Don Burnett
    Boat
    N/A
    Thanks for your input …
    I’ve been doing the service on my reels for years …
    I’ve been selling off my old Penn international’s …
    All of my Shimano’s and Newell’s this, year …
    I have been fishing with the Okuma Makaria’s and I’m pretty sure I’ll purchase another to fit the CX80 Raptor … mainly because I’ll become familiar with servicing them … when I got rid of my old Newell’s (8) and Shimano’s (5) I had no smaller reels so I purchased a Penn Fathom 15 and 25N … I may get a 40N and keep it in my reel bag … I kept my older Torium 20 and Avet HXJ for wahoo … I have two Accurate single speed Tern’s a 500 and a 600N … I love fishing for wahoo on the longer trips … but the verdicts still out on these Accurates … I’ve seen several Accurate’s being worked on by reel repair guys this year …
    Them bigger 100#+ bluefin 🐟 this year (5 trips so far this year)
    I shouldn’t say any more … I’m still partial to my old school tricked out Cal Penn’s, but were so heavy … and wanted to rock from side to side when playing larger tuna 🎣
    I did hang onto one of my 30T’s … it most likely will become my trolling reel … you know dragging them wahoo lures.
    Later 🐠

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Any reel suggestions for my new custom UC CX80 Raptor rail rod ?

I’m partial to the Okuma Makaria SEa’s and the Penn Fathoms … I’ve been fishing with both this year…

I’m not sure if this new rail rod is going to be too much for a MK 15TII SEa ?
    If so … then I’m considering fitting it with a Penn Fathom 40N ?

You know something to handle 60#+ top shots and 100#+++ bluefin 🎣

I have the MK 50,20,16 SEa ‘s and UC Viper (130#), Centaur (100#), a Calstar 775XH (80#) … all rail rods …

Im looking for a good solid 60# outfit “REEL” that fits my new UC CX80 Raptor rail rod ?
    Any suggestions?

If you like the features and performance of the Fathom FTH40NLD2, but your budget will allow the MAK, then serious consideration should be given to the Torque TRQ40NLD2.

LR Houdini
    LR Houdini
    I like the Torque 40N a lot … but I’ve got so many Makaria’s now I most likely will stay with them… why … because I’ve been servicing my own reels forever… and this old brain of mine has short term memory anyway … thanks for you I put 👍
    Upvote 0
    tony38
    tony38
    the mak's series comes with a 5 year warranty vs the 1 year with torque's and international.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    I have a Mak 15T SEa on my UC GP Terminator, which is similar to your new Raptor in line class (strong 60/stealthy 80 is how I think of it). I Love the combo, but... IF you want to fish 80# braid and still have sufficient capacity for the Larger Models BFT you will need to spool it with Pro Spec or Maxcuatro. The 15T is a great reel, but does not have as much spool capacity as a Penn Torque 40 nld2 or a Penn VISX 12. Personally I spooled mine at 15# tension with 500 yards of 65# Daiwa J-Braid and really like the fit. I fish it with 60# leader. My UC Centaur/Mak 16 SEa with 100# braid gets the nod if 80# leader is required.

This came for a boat ride (Oregon) last time I had my GP Terminator/Mak 15T SEa out to play.

PXL_20210603_180008442.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Chuck Roast

Jul 16, 2012
    LA CA USA
    Name
    Chuck Roast
    Boat
    20' Skip
    I fish my cx 80 raptor with a visx 12 full of 80# solid to a short topshot of 60 or 80# fluorocarbon. Works good for me. Caught some nice fish @ Guadalupe a week ago with it.

Reactions: LR Houdini
    Upvote 0

LR Houdini

Jun 26, 2020
    Long Beach, Ca.
    Name
    Don Burnett
    Boat
    N/A
    Thanks … I’ve got a 10E blank … it’s at Darin Dohi’s…
    It on his backlog to wrap for me … Jamie did a pretty good write-up on the 10E … the 10E has a very small diameter butt section and it’s similar to the 9E … it’s just another new toy…
    Thanks again for the feedback… 🎣

Upvote 0