UC CENTAUR TO HEAVY FOR 60LB

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
Yea; I'd want a lighter and softer rod if I were fishing 60# leaders.

Reactions: rdrblck66

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
The Centaur will be heavy in your hand, and not cast 'dines well. 80 Predator or Raptor (mentioned above) are both better choices for that reel/line combo. Not that I don't love my Centaur though! My Centaur wears a Mak 16 SEa loaded with 500 yards of 100# braid. My 40NLD/2 loaded with 80# braid sits on a Calstar 700H and usually fishes 60# leader.

cow man

Tuna addict
Aug 29, 2012
Glide Or. 97443
Name
Jake Waardenburg
Boat
N/A
Also the new series GP80 Predator or even the GP 76 Predator if you want 7’6” version. Would make a great 60# stick..

Reactions: Steve K

cozenone

Jan 25, 2020
northwest
Name
joe
Boat
none
meat stick, no need to reel or for that matter, no need for a reel at all, just flip em back

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Also the new series GP80 Predator or even the GP 76 Predator if you want 7’6” version. Would make a great 60# stick..
I think I would value Jake’s opinion as much as Randy Penny.

Jake knows blanks/rods. He builds a lot of them! :)

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
Jul 3, 2004
BD Outdoors
Name
John
Boat
None
I’d opt to use a predator, terminator or a raptor for 60 ,
This fish was caught on a GP predator 80 with a torque 40nlds2 55 floro on 80lb braid ... this weekend 6/13
The rod has plenty of back bone , it’s fast action , light weight .. My next rod will be the GP 76 Predator for more stopping power

B3B15F71-672D-4A3F-8BDA-CC52C5224F5C.jpeg

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
bobsandsfishingtackle.com
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Hi Lou,

Your question is if the Centaur (You did not specify the version 70 vs 76) is too heavy for the Torque 40 and 60 pound string... The 70 Centaur will be softer vs the 76 Centaur however both will actually work with the noted reel and line setup depending on the application and the desired use of the angler. Please remember, if your connections and line are pristine you can pull much harder than most folks think on non tournament 60 pound string ,as long as the pull is smooth rather than jerky.. The drags, build, flex, bearings etc. of the reel are what determines the ability of the reel to handle higher drag pressures for extended periods of time. The Penn Torque series of reels does all that in spades. Heck, I would use the Torque 40 2 speed with up to 80 pound string for stealthy technical work on most any appropriate rod for most any fish that swims on our West Coast Trips..

Though the Rod you noted for West Coast Standup, bait or artificial, will feel very, very heavy in the hands and body, if this rig is your only choice it absolutely will work... Yes, as many folks on the thread noted there are many other rods where the combo of a lighter weight rod may be more appropriate for that amazing Penn Reel, your questions was only Is the rod too heavy?? By Heavy I am guessing you meant will it bend correctly rather than just a heaviness/weight question..

Getting any rod to bend into the sweet spot areas of the rod is a function of drag pressure and proper rod angles of usage not the size of the reel..The Rod has no clue what size reel is seated on it only what drag settings are being used. That United Composites Centaur really works well at 20 pounds of drag and above... Any less drag pressure than that and I do not believe the rod is at it's best. At 22 - 25 pounds of drag, the Centaur, at least in the 76 version, sings and makes beautiful music. The Reel and Line class you noted does handle, with clean line, pristine connections and smooth pull that amount drag.. The real question is does the angler believe his or her connections and line of choice can hold up to that kind of drag on a smaller and lighter weight reel using 60 pound test line... The Answer to that issue is going to come from your own experience and testing. You can also try this testing using an 80 pound top shot on your Centaur to see how you like that as well.

No question that putting a Ferrari motor in a Mack truck might not be ideal for most applications but if your hand and body feel the combo is okay then it is okay for you.. However, fishing stand up is slightly different than the Mack Truck/Ferrari motor example.. Many anglers just cannot get a great feel of a big Okuma Makaira 16 or Penn VISX 16 large framed reel when fly lining smaller baits such as Sardines or Anchovies.. Since the mental game is a huge part of the fishing hooking and fighting equation sometimes I have had folks on trips drop down their reel sizes on a big rod just to see what their brain reaction and tactile feel says to them.. You would be surprised at the results as they can be very positive. Very personal and angler specific.. Are they perfectly matched?? Nope, but will they work...Yes..

Now, Would I choose that big Stick and Smaller reel on a ultra long trip targeting Giant Yellowfin?? I have to admit, I have used and will continue to use my Avet HXW's Raptor series for big fish stealth work on my 76 Vipers, Heavier duty Calstars, Super Seekers, etc. very successfully though I did have to rebuild the reels after each trip. I fished these at 30 pounds of drag, 100 pound Spectra with 80 and 100 pound tops shots.. The rods had no idea there was a medium frame rig on. Not my first go to choice but I did use those rigs very successfully on most every long range trip I have been on since they were purchased many, many years ago (Way before the Torque 2 speeds came out). Absolutely. Would I use that rig for these big local Bluefin??? Maybe not my first choice but I would use it if that was my only choice, wanted a stealthier feel or I wanted a big rod with a smaller reel??.. You bet..

Now, if you asked would I set you up with the combination you have noted should you come in to the shop and want to buy a newly matched setup the answer would highly likely be No... Unless You, the customer, just wanted that rig, had done your research and believed it the most appropriate. However, if you came in and told me that the choice was between using the Big rig/Smaller Reel noted and going fishing or spending between 500 to 1200 dollars on a new rig, reel, Spectra or rod that precludes you from going fishing, I would tell you to go fishing with what you have and do not buy anything new.

To Prove to yourself if this rig can work, set up your pull scale on your bumper hitch or equivalent.. First, know that your line, connections/knots will hold at 25+ pounds of drag by testing smaller cut sections of plastic to Spectra connections and knot strengths on the Pull Scale. You can pull smoothly as well as jerking the line to see where those connections break. The more you test the more certain you are that your connections are good.

Once you are certain you connections will hold on 60 pound string, Set the drag on the reel for 20 pounds at strike.. Step back 10 feet or so and pull back straight just to make sure your connections are good, then put a bend in the rod until the drags slip making sure your posture and angles are correct.. Do the same test up to 25 pounds of drag as you push the drag lever forward past strike. See how the rod bends and the rig feels in your hands as you load and unload the rod to gather line... Make sure you are using proper angles of rod in relation to the ground or deck, use proper posture/leverage and you might be surprised at the results.. This will answer your question if the rod is too heavy.. The question of will be is it too heavy a rig to hold onto for 16 hours at the rail.. Now that is an altogether Different question..

Best of luck in your decision.. Your wallet size, debt to asset ratio or willingness to use cash or a credit card are the real questions at play here..Add in the willingness for your Girlfriend, wife, friend with benefits or ?? to not get pissed should you spend the extra dough and you will have an answer.. When in doubt, go fishing.

Have a great, safe and sane season...

Jamie

Last edited:

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
The Centaur handles 20-25 lbs of drag very well and it can work with 30 - 35 lbs. So it is certainly on the upper end of fishing 60. It is also a relatively heavy rod and feels stiff until you load it up.

So as Jamie says, it is not an ideal match but will work well if you plan to pull as hard as possible on 60 lb. And Jake (Cow Man) builds and fishes a lot of rods. So I would take a look at the GP80 Predator or GP 76 Predator.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob Sands
Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat
Shogun
I’d opt to use a predator, terminator or a raptor for 60 ,
This fish was caught on a GP predator 80 with a torque 40nlds2 55 floro on 80lb braid ... this weekend 6/13
The rod has plenty of back bone , it’s fast action , light weight .. My next rod will be the GP 76 Predator for more stopping power

View attachment 1156932
What jig is that? Leader/ line. Great catch
Regards Scott

reelconcerned

Jun 12, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
n/a
No CaL Lou; I use my centaur's for #80 lb paired with a raptor HX-3 speed with 520 yds cortland hollow 25ft flour top shot, have several tuna in the 120/150 range, handled it perfectly... 100lb setup I use a raptor HXW-3 speed 100lb spectra paired with a UC Viper have tuna up to 200lb, your mak #20 with a centaur would work but a viper or equivalent has the back bone needed for 100lb line perfect setup and definitely a cow setup...Paul

Reactions: Fishdood

Terryw

Capitan
Apr 7, 2012
San Diego/ca/usa
Name
Terry
Boat
42 Henriques
I second the recommendation for the 7' 6" GP Predator. 60# is the sweet spot in my opinion. Whatever you pick you will be smiling when the big bluefin hits the deck.

Have fun.

Reactions: Bob Sands

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
Jul 3, 2004
BD Outdoors
Name
John
Boat
None
Ok, so the Centaur for all practical purposes is 80# rod. How does it do as a 100# rod .? Say for using with a MK20 Reel for 80/100# use.
Works Fine for a 100 lb , I was on a trip where a guy caught a 245 lb BF using a centaur / Mak 20 on 100lb .. He caught it on a flying fish,
about a 45 minute fight ..

Pitchinwedge

Aug 7, 2016
So Cal
Name
Sammie
Boat
None
GP80 Terminator vs Predator... are both 60lb sticks? Meaning, are they equally happy at 20-25lb of drag? Is the main difference being the Terminator a bit softer at the very tip but shuts of quicker, while the Predator is more parabolic?