U.C. GP AND RGP 900 9E BACK IN STOCK AND ON SALE. SALE ENDING 3-31-2021 PLEASE CALL THE STORE OR COME ON IN.

Dexter Outdoors

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I wanted to get Jake (Cowman) to wrap a Reaper for me but because of the shipping costs he couldn't so I had to get Ken to order one for me and had a friend pick it up and bring it by the house on their way up from San Diego. Kind of a bummer it doesn't match the rest of my UC rods but they do a nice job on the factory wrap. I would have driven from my house outside Sacramento to pick it up from him in Oregon but he couldn't even get it shipped to him

cozenone

Jan 25, 2020
    northwest
    Name
    joe
    Boat
    none
    Jamie has shipped three UC 8' rods to me, very fair shipping, basically the discount offered covers the shipping, and I'm ok with that...Jamie what's your thoughts on a 8' UC deckhand style with a softer tip section for throwing at Wahoo, probably pair it with a Penn 25 stardrag or Trini 20a? Thanks, I have the Monster/Predator and RPG Mega all reel seats in hand, but want to ad some D/H rods

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bob Sands

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    Because of shipping cost it amazes me that rod manufacturers haven't developed rods that are 7' 10" to make shipping more cost effective. Some say just cut 2" off a blank, but with all the new carbon and exotic materials being use to make blanks nowadays I don't believe in cutting blanks.

cozenone

Jan 25, 2020
    northwest
    Name
    joe
    Boat
    none
    Because of shipping cost it amazes me that rod manufacturers haven't developed rods that are 7' 10" to make shipping more cost effective. Some say just cut 2" off a blank, but with all the new carbon and exotic materials being use to make blanks nowadays I don't believe in cutting blanks.
    Or making a two piece with removable butt section like some of my travel rods, If UC made the reaper in a two piece....I'd snap one up....I know the names changing, I limit to 8' just for transport issues

Reactions: Intrepid Fan

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
    Advertiser
    Feb 26, 2011
    Van Nuys, Ca USA
    bobsandsfishingtackle.com
    Name
    Jamie
    Boat
    #1 Tackle Shop
    Or making a two piece with removable butt section like some of my travel rods, If UC made the reaper in a two piece....I'd snap one up....I know the names changing, I limit to 8' just for transport issues

Good afternoon all, Interesting that you should mention the option. We already have shipped multiple long rod blanks including the Reaper/9E blanks, out of state, by cutting the rods into two sections per the request of the customer. We have another cut 9E going out next week. The customer builds many of his long rods using ferules for the two piece connection. I have seen these two piece rods in action on our long range trips and if the user did not know, they would have a very hard time telling the difference from the one piece.. You just need to know what lengths to cut the sections down to. In this case the customer mandates the requested lengths.

Now, does cutting the rod into two pieces void the manufacturer's warranty?.. Probably, which would be reasonable, but I am not sure if it applies to manufacturing defects not located within the cut areas or not. However, we have not had that issue so to date, it has been irrelevant....

Jamie

stripedbizzle

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles ca
    Name
    JTM
    Boat
    No
    I flew on American Airlines last summer and took with me a custom 9’ surf rod I had built for me out here for stripers. One piece, checked luggage in a Plano jumbo airliner. Just barely fit in when the Plano was extended to its max of 9feet and remarkably (to my somewhat surprise, I was fully prepared to see it show up in pieces) made it all the way to Boston in one piece.

Makes you wonder if booking quick flights would almost be cheaper than shipping in some cases

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Delta eliminated its $150 fee for sporting equipment. Those baggages now fly as a regular baggage charge

Surfboard bags are just regular baggage now and rod tubes? Print out the policy when checking in. Worked for me

"Delta said its new policy eliminating its $150 fee for sporting equipment is effective for travel worldwide. But passengers traveling with sporting equipment will still need to pay any regular checked baggage fees. On domestic flights, Delta charges $30 for a first checked bag and $40 for a second checked bag“

Reactions: Shon

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    When 5 surfboards in a coffin bag. Flown internationally at $8 a surfboard. That's the lowest shipping cost ever. Half way around the world. Cheap freight

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Delta eliminated its $150 fee for sporting equipment. Those baggages now fly as a regular baggage charge

I am sure they are doing this to get more folks traveling again. As soon as the flights fill up and all their planes are flying again the baggage rates will go back up. Enjoy it while it lasts.

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa, Cailf
    Name
    Walt
    Boat
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    Does anybody have experience with the Fishlab roller tackle bags? How does it compare in form and function to the discontinued Nomads? Does it have any stability issues, such as a tendency to fall forward?

Just purchased the smaller Fishlab tackle bag. It has the same problem all of the roller bags have. A tendency to tip over and slide around in challenging sea states and the internal shelves that the tackle boxes rest on have a tendency to sag and compress down restricting removal and reinsertion of the tackle boxes on the lower levels. My bag has 5 boxes so I just took 1 out and repositioned the separators for only 4 boxes 3600 size. The larger unit has the 3700 size boxes. Also positioning the heaviest boxes on the bottom helps stability. Am constructing an L shaped bracket to bolt to the bottom of the front frame and will C-Clamp it to the shelf on the boat. That will eliminate any sliding or tiping and keep the privileged spoiled brats from moving my previously small tackle bag and putting theirs where mine was. That happened to me on my last three 1 1/2 day trips.Extremely irritating.

Sorry for the rant,,,, back to the bag.... Otherwise well constructed and for the size lots of storage. Am not a real fan of the 4 rod holders on the side of the bag. 2 would be adequate and install pouches in the space provided. Also , similar to all other roller bags, the rod tubes are in cloth sleeves letting the tubes move around a lot. Will probably screw the tops of the tubes to the plywood liner on the side of the bag. Have compared several roller bags and for me there is really no stand out. A lot of this decision is personal preference so if you like the Nomad the discounted pricing is nice.
    Hope this helps,

Walt

Last edited:

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    I am sure they are doing this to get more folks traveling again. As soon as the flights fill up and all their planes are flying again the baggage rates will go back up. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Since 2019

"The airline is eliminating its $150 specialty sports bag fee, copying a move American Airlines made earlier this year. Travelers will now pay standard Delta baggage fees for sporting equipment as long as it meets weight and size requirements. Delta charges $30 each way for the first checked bag and $40for the second.Jul 18, 2019"

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    TackleHO21
    Boat
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    Just purchased the smaller Fishlab tackle bag. It has the same problem all of the roller bags have. A tendency to tip over and slide around in challenging sea states and the internal shelves that the tackle boxes rest on have a tendency to sag and compress down restricting removal and reinsertion of the tackle boxes on the lower levels. My bag has 5 boxes so I just took 1 out and repositioned the separators for only 4 boxes 3600 size. The larger unit has the 3700 size boxes. Also positioning the heaviest boxes on the bottom helps stability. Am constructing an L shaped bracket to bolt to the bottom of the front frame and will C-Clamp it to the shelf on the boat. That will eliminate any sliding or tiping and keep the privileged spoiled brats from moving my previously small tackle bag and putting theirs where mine was. That happened to me on my last three 1 1/2 day trips.Extremely irritating.

Sorry for the rant,,,, back to the bag.... Otherwise well constructed and for the size lots of storage. Am not a real fan of the 4 rod holders on the side of the bag. 2 would be adequate and install pouches in the space provided. Also , similar to all other roller bags, the rod tubes are in cloth sleeves letting the tubes move around a lot. Will probably screw the tops of the tubes to the plywood liner on the side of the bag. Have compared several roller bags and for me there is really no stand out. A lot of this decision is personal preference so if you like the Nomad the discounted pricing is nice.
    Hope this helps,

Walt
    It seems this has been a perennial issues on these roller bags. I thought Okuma had resolved this with the new Fishlab versions. This is the reason why I ditched my Nomad roller bags long time ago and settle with a converted Tackle bag with strong and stable front feet I bought from my local Ralphs for just $49. 😉

Reactions: fishin_kid

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
    Advertiser
    Feb 26, 2011
    Van Nuys, Ca USA
    Name
    Jamie
    Boat
    #1 Tackle Shop
    Jamie has shipped three UC 8' rods to me, very fair shipping, basically the discount offered covers the shipping, and I'm ok with that...Jamie what's your thoughts on a 8' UC deckhand style with a softer tip section for throwing at Wahoo, probably pair it with a Penn 25 stardrag or Trini 20a? Thanks, I have the Monster/Predator and RPG Mega all reel seats in hand, but want to ad some D/H rods

Good morning Coz,

Great to hear from You as always.. I am not sure if you are fishing bait or artificial lures with the stick you are looking for but In the United Composites line up you might look at the RCE 800 Wahoo CT and the RCE 800 Del Mar CT. Most of the RCE, factory wrapped series, comes in a Cork Tape (CT), Deck hand version so please check out the U.C. catalogue under Elite Composite should you want to look at more variety or even lighter tip versions.

Most of U.C. 8 foot factory wrapped rods, from other series, such as the RUS and RGP line up, do have reel seats while most of the 9 footers are wrapped with Cork Tape (CT). Of course the Factory RGP 900 9E is beautifully wrapped with Butt Chord and a Turks Head, deck hand style.

If you are looking for a wider variety of choices for the style of rod you noted, you might think about a custom wrap of any of the United Composites Blanks.. As a Cork Tape, Deck Hand Model, custom wrapped, the pricing would not be too much over the cost of a retail Factory wrap. Of course, pricing will be somewhat dependent on the choice of hardware you go with.. A fair amount of folks are choosing the amazing Titanium series of Alps guides, same as the guides used on the RGP series, but be aware, they are a much more expensive guide set. Personally, I love the way those Titanium series guides feel and function..

I have never seen so many new, at least new to the store, home rod wrappers who came and purchased blanks from us in this current sale.. Huge numbers are using the Covid to take the time to learn how or to refresh their memories on home rod wrapping..

What a great sale this continues to be.. Please let me know if there is anything we can do to help now or in the future.

Respectfully,

Jamie

Last edited:

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
    Advertiser
    Feb 26, 2011
    Van Nuys, Ca USA
    Name
    Jamie
    Boat
    #1 Tackle Shop
    The Sale continues on. We just received another round of U.C. Blanks and rods.. We should have more Calstar products coming in soon to add to our already huge inventory.... Thank You to all the clients, from all over the country, who took advantage of this great sale.

Please call the store with any questions

Respectfully,

Jamie

Reactions: FlatPack

pukahd

I’m getting nibbles
    Oct 30, 2004
    Torrance
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    What about having it trucked ? I have 10, 12foot sections of steel rods in tubes delivered to me all the time. In fact the max length to airfreight overseas is 120”. Not sure why domestic carriers limit items to 108”?

Last edited:

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    You know, I’m an idea guy, brilliant, creative thinker...

Idea to drive traffic in the store. Simulate the FH experience.
    Charge $20 for parking, sell $15 beers.

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
    Advertiser
    Feb 26, 2011
    Van Nuys, Ca USA
    Name
    Jamie
    Boat
    #1 Tackle Shop
    Good morning all,

Though The F.H. appears as if it will not be happening this year, Bob Sands Tackle, in Van Nuys, Ca., is now having a sale to help make up for the loss.

Though more items will be going on sale shortly
    , Let's start with the following deals:

As a thank you to our customers, Bob Sands Tackle is now offering a 15% discount, from the Retail price, on United Composites, Calstar, Graftech, Blackhole, Okuma PCH and Phenix Rods and blanks that are in stock from our enormous inventory..

HUGE U.C. BLANK AND ROD INVENTORY IN STOCK.

The only exclusions will be the U.C. Factory wrapped Reaper Rods we have in stock are not part of the sale as we will never be able to get more
    . When these are gone they are gone forever from retail sales. Yes, the U.C. GP 900 9E IS ON SALE. Please PM me if you are interested in the RGP 900 9E factory wrap as well at the discounted price..

Additionally, all of our Size 7 and 8 deck boots, from a variety of manufacturers, are on sale at 25% discount from retail.. Again, only Size 7 and 8 boots that are in stock will be on sale at this time..

JRI JIG SALE. BUY 3 AND CHOOSE 1 OF 3 FREE DW1 SPECIAL EDITION JIGS FOR YOUR 4TH FREE JIG. PLEASE CALL THE STORE OR BETTER YET, COME IN TO FIND OUT ABOUT THIS DEAL.

All Nomad lures and poppers on sale at 15% off

Fishlab Large Tackle bag $159.99

Killbag 20 X 65 regularly 129.99 Now $99.99

Diamond Braid $9.99 per hundred Yards
    YoZuri Super Braid $10.99 per hundred Yards
    Power Pro Moonshine Glow $10.99 per Hundred Yards.

This sale is on a first come first served basis and relegated only to items in stock at Bob Sands Tackle in Van Nuys, Ca.

IF THERE IS A ROD OR BLANK YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO PURCHASE PLEASE CONTACT THE STORE WHERE YOU CAN VERIFY IT IS IN STOCK THEN PAY FOR IT OVER THE PHONE BY CC. THE SALESPERSON WILL SET IT ASIDE FOR YOU SO YOU CAN PICK IT UP AT YOUR CONVENIENCE OR HAVE IT SHIPPED.

YES WE WILL SHIP RODS OR BLANKS UP TO 8 FEET IN LENGTH AT AN EXTRA CHARGE TO COVER THE SHIPPING RELATED COSTS.

You may also PM me with questions
    . You may also contact me if your desired Rod or Blank is sold out before you can get it reserved.. No guarantees but I will see what I can do to get your desired items on order at the sale pricing..

THIS SALE WILL RUN THRU MID MARCH OR UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.. DO NOT WAIT, COME TO THE STORE ASAP OR GET YOUR ITEMS ORDERED BY PHONE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

I WILL BE ADDING ITEMS TO THIS SALE THREAD IN THE FUTURE SO PLEASE CONTINUE REFERRING TO THIS POST AND MY FUTURE REPLIES TO SEE WHAT OTHER ITEMS GO ON SALE

Hope to see you at the store or hear from you by PM.

Have a great season.

Respectfully,

Jamie and the entire Bob Sands Tackle Crew.
    The Sale is still going but ending soon.. If you are interested please call the store and get your orders in as soon as possible.. Thank You so much to all of the folks who took advantage of the great deals..

Respectfully,

Jamie and the entire crew at Bob Sands Tackle

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
    Advertiser
    Feb 26, 2011
    Van Nuys, Ca USA
    Name
    Jamie
    Boat
    #1 Tackle Shop
    THE BOB SANDS TACKLE ENDS 3-31-21.. WE JUST RECEIVED ANOTHER HUGE SHIPMENT OF RODS AND BLANKS... CALL THE SHOP TO TIE UP YOUR DISCOUNTS BEFORE THE SALE ENDS..

HAVE A GREAT SEASON.

JAMIE

Last edited:

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
    Advertiser
    Feb 26, 2011
    Van Nuys, Ca USA
    Name
    Jamie
    Boat