U-40 vs D2 vs Flex Coat

What is your thoughts on the best finish?

• Total voters

djlo

Sep 28, 2019
Carlsbad
Name
Dave
Boat
Longone
Been using Flex Coat since day one. Never been motivated to experiment with the other options since I always have had good results.

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Is Gen 4 the old AFTCOTE ?
    Don't know... but don't think so?

I used G4 on my last 2 rods. Fuji NOCP and Hitena Metallics. Rods came out great. Slight learning curve coming from Flex Coat High Build, but glad I gave it a try. No bubbs and for what little bubbles there are, the bubb control is amazing.

Also, G4 is more viscous than FCHB. I think I still prefer the thicker FCHB for butt wraps, but G4 is super easy for doing the guides.

Reactions: plj46
    Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Don't know... but don't think so?

I used G4 on my last 2 rods. Fuji NOCP and Hitena Metallics. Rods came out great. Slight learning curve coming from Flex Coat High Build, but glad I gave it a try. No bubbs and for what little bubbles there are, the bubb control is amazing.

Also, G4 is more viscous than FCHB. I think I still prefer the thicker FCHB for butt wraps, but G4 is super easy for doing the guides.
    I noticed the Flex Coat high build is a lot thinner than the Ultra V.Makes me wonder why they call it that.I have to put minimum 3 coats of it (high build) to get a good build up.

Upvote 0

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
    OC
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    17' montauk "Anger Management"
    I use d2 now.

I have used pro wrap as well with no problems.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    I just tried prokote thick and its too thick for the epoxy mixer the weighted small metal that you put in the cup don't turn to mix the epoxy , so I tried the pro kote thin and it mixes fine the first coat on the guides came out wavy ? just put the second prokote application on looks like it leveled off but will see when it drys...
    think I will stick to Flexcote thick and D2 ..
    don't need all these problems and yes my room is warm 75 degress.

Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
    Dec 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    N/A :(
    I’ve tried em all and classic coat is what I use.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    I just tried prokote thick and its too thick for the epoxy mixer the weighted small metal that you put in the cup don't turn to mix the epoxy , so I tried the pro kote thin and it mixes fine the first coat on the guides came out wavy ? just put the second prokote application on looks like it leveled off but will see when it drys...
    think I will stick to Flexcote thick and D2 ..
    don't need all these problems and yes my room is warm 75 degress.
    well I did a third coat but I combined the light and the heavy half and half before I mixed it and wow perfect consistency . went on nice flowed nice but when this is used up ..no more pro kote.
    going back to D2 and Flexcoat...

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    question on Gen 4: what is the consistency of it as in thin , med or thick ?

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    I have used Classic for many years, still do, High build, and Super Coat. It takes the flame nicely!

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    "He certainly wanted Meghan removed, for a start, from the hitherto harmonious joint household that he and his brother had operated together for the best part of a decade. William simply did not want her or Harry around any more."
    what the heck are you talking about... if you can't post something that makes sense please don't reply / comment on my post.....
    I noticed you post a lot of Bull crap ..it because you want to be number 1 poster everyday ???
    go away please...

Upvote 0