Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Was just reminded of a trip I took. Fun times, caught that 39 lb Yellowtail you see in my Avatar pic. Boat allowed kite fish in the JP, but only 6 guys had a turn on the kite. And JP winner was the chartermaster. I thought that was fucked up.

JonathanMM

Nov 29, 2011
San Pedro, CA, USA
Name
Jonathan Mitsumori
Boat
Tinker Toy
Steve:
On Rhodes charter on RS we changed kite rotation so everyone draws for their rotation spot. Not just your tag number, (so not just the CM and low numbers, (#3) gets on kite). On the 4 day we only went thru half a dozen spots. Also on RS Kite fish don't count for JP unless everyone goes thru rotation.
PS: One year on Shimano 11 day on RS at lower banks, everyone when thru rotation and had+100# and maybe 4 at +200# except (2) anglers. Some how my fish missed the roll call. I still don't know how a 40# YFT got a 5# squid and hook in his mouth. ???
Pull Hard
Jonathan

Reactions: Bill W

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
You know, on the Angler, even if everybody gets one or more turns on the kite, those fish get an honorable mention at the top of the dock. Nobody wants to diminish the achievement, it’s just that not all of the anglers get to fish the kite at the same time. So, kite fish along with hook and hand, certain species and disabled fish (shark bitten) just don’t qualify for the JP.

Pretty sad to say, my personal best on a balloon, even though there was no JP, one of the guys said it didn’t count. I mean, why try to diminish the value of a great fish.

Tar Pit

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 7, 2006
Reno NV
Name
Friend of Bucko Shaw
Boat
None.
I stopped getting into the jackpot years ago. To much drama for me. My fishing buddy is a big jackpot guy. In the money almost every trip and he asks all the questions at the safety/fishing meeting so their should be no surprises at the end of the trip.

I have seen mystery fish show up at the weigh in. Missing fish. 125 pound Opah not allowed because it was not the "targeted species". Fish show up after the deckhand had finished the weigh in and called the winner.

The worst was a 2.5 day on the old Pacific Star. Total scam by the crew and a boat local.

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Best policy is leave kite fish out of JP.
Its an assist and not true to the nature of a JP IMO.
Agreed and well-stated, Steve. I believe the kite should have a separate JP. I usually participate in the jackpot because it is fun. It can lead to shenanigans by folks, but it can also be a nice perk at the end of a trip. If I believe dishonest shit went down, I let the captain know. Not that he cares, but to let him know people are aware of the crap and it will affect his business.

Do this long enough and you will see everything. Like when multiple deck crew helps fight a 315 lbs. YFT and it is still wins the JP. I was not in the running. If I was #2, I would have been pissed! It was a great trip. I came back with a full limit of YFT and YT. 9 of my 15 YFT were 150 lbs. and larger with none under a 100 lbs, but no cows...go figure. That was a hefty processing bill. Many friends and family really liked me after that trip!

- Jeff Burroughs

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
For me the JP just takes away the fun of fishing. I am there to fish not gamble. I have only participated in the JP to be social and contribute winnings to the crew. always thought it was funny we give out prizes and gear to anglers based on who caught the most, biggest, first. I think the gear and prizes should go to new anglers still learning and figuring it out.

If it is purely about skill and competition I will put more effort into shooting 3-gun. Got to have your shit wired to win a match. And you are immediately disqualified if you violate any rules, no questions asked.

Reactions: Cubeye and $norkle

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Maybe the key is to keep the JP money low... What I like about the Rooster is the extra prize the Rooster throws in for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. They do not have to do this but the JP is supposed to be fun, and let’s be honest on long trips your bait has equal odds as long as it is in the water.

Reactions: Olddog8

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
Been there. About 10 or 12 years ago fishing at Guadalupe on the Pacific Star. At the safety meeting the 2nd skipper announced that kite fish didn't count in the jackpot. There was only one kite fish on the entire trip and that was caught by the captain's buddy who boarded the boat early, took the best tackle spots and the best rod holder positions then signed up first on the sign up sheet.
I ended up with the JP fish when suddenly they announce that they checked with the captain and now the captain says that kite fish do count in the JP. A bunch of guys who I didn't know prior to the trip started yelling and screaming at the crew and they finally backed down and gave me the JP.

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
125 pound Opah not allowed because it was not the "targeted species".
Opah got DQ LOL no way the Opah is in there

8Th birthday. Caught the JP at Coronados but it was a bottom fish. Some tried to DQ the fish because Yellows were caught

If I made the rules :D

Honorable mention for kite fish and troll fish. Kite fishing can be allot of work with wind, swell, swinging, sun glare, keeping the bait on surface not choked out, self rigging, fighting the fish, ect. Offten times the kite conditions do allow mostly just standing there. Honorable mention

Troll fish can involve self rigging, choosing a lure that got bit, how far its let back, fighting the fish. Honorable mention

Those 2 types of LR fishing is done by rotation so it's just not a even playing field as not everyone has the opportunity to do it at the same time.

Balloon fish I would allow because that's first come first serve and the fishers who saw and took the opportunitys and allowed slots.

Slide fish I would allow if not done by rotation

Every JP have landed when the fish hit the deck. Never even crosses my mind the fish is a potential or is the JP fish. Hits me later or maybe not even until the boat gets back to the dock. Just stoked on the fish

I recover basically my galley tab and entry cost. And tip the rest.

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
Poway,ca
Name
Rick
Boat
Sold long ago
Steve:

PS: One year on Shimano 11 day on RS at lower banks, everyone when thru rotation and had+100# and maybe 4 at +200# except (2) anglers. Some how my fish missed the roll call. I still don't know how a 40# YFT got a 5# squid and hook in his mouth. ???
Pull Hard
Jonathan
On my last Hurricane Bank trip, an Angler caught a 40-50lb Tuna on a Skipjack. Half the Skippy was still hanging out of the Tuna's mouth. Classic, biting off more than you can chew.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
I fish with a guy that makes a trade when he wins the JP. The trade is the crew gives him a boat sweat shirt and he gives all to the money to the crew.
As the Lakota brave said in “Dances With Wolves” Good Trade.

On the Rooster, biggest troll caught fish wins the “coveted trolling prize” a Jacket. Pretty damn nice. We caught a batch of peanut Yellowfin and mine on the troll was the biggest of the bunch. I think it went something like 9.5 lbs. I have a jacket that I earned from my first cow on June Heat back in ‘09. Beautiful jacket!

Nick ran the trip. He and I worked it out. Couple of tee shirts and a hat. I’m good. :)

Reactions: Phil and Bill W

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
One of the many reasons I never enter the JP. Although I will occasionally challenge buddies for beers/cocktails...

I prefer to just tip the crew well at the end of the trip, and eliminate all the potential drama. Makes for a much more relaxing experience...
Wait a second, I know you LOVE drama! :D

- Jeff Burroughs

Reactions: DannyNoonan

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
I think many of the problems can be fixed for the JP - give out prizes instead of money.

rods/reels/tackle/clothing/trip discount etc...

I have stopped entering jackpots as it just seems pointless with the current system:
which is pay for a jackpot with changing rules and sometimes people issues and if you win you are expected to give it back to the crew anyway.

doesnt make much sense.

If its a New rod or reel or 1/2 off a 5 day trip or even a boat jacket /hat or shirt I think that makes it better. prizes for biggest of each species or 1st 100lb fish or first wahoo etc... = much more entertainment value

the money you may "win" you will never remember- but the stuff that you win will always be something to remember your trip by.

Reactions: Tar Pit

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
Dec 12, 2003
So Cal
Name
Clay
Boat
n/a
I fish with a guy that makes a trade when he wins the JP. The trade is the crew gives him a boat sweat shirt and he gives all to the money to the crew.
Same here. I'll take a hat or hoodie or T-shirt.
One time, I was on the Shogun (back when Bruce was driving) down at the Rocks.
We'd moved inside to have a look one evening and nothing much happening.
Couple fish going, and skip said we were going off to anchor for the night once they were gaffed.
I was tossing a jig, killing time until the move, when I got hammered. Oops.
I figured I better land it before the other fish so I went to work. Got it to gaff (before the last bait fish!) and the crew stuck it. Then he hollered for a second gaff.
Big YFT hit the deck, Bruce eyeballed it and said "that's probably going to be JP".
He was correct (those guys have a good eye) so when he handed me the envelope, I said keep it. Send me a jacket or something.
I'd forgotten about it, when a jacket showed up in the mail a couple weeks later.

ED: Ask Marley how he feels about some fish not being "target" species after his jumbo amberjack was DQ'd on one of the FishFest trips.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Gosh... Shenanigans in the JP. Stuff a rock cod sinker in that cow tuna. Play the game or do not play. The boat makes the rules and your choice of boats has nothing to do with it. However it would be nice to set the kite rotation on a draw system. Totally different discussion. (don’t care about the JP...personally)

Reactions: Workplacesafety

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Pretty sad to say, my personal best on a balloon, even though there was no JP, one of the guys said it didn’t count. I mean, why try to diminish the value of a great fish.
Remember Lawyer Bill...
”Before all these witnesses... Did you or did you not catch that fish on a bobber balloon?”