Two Questions

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by Bill A, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Bill A

Bill A Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    16 foot skiff
    <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I have wrapped rods off and on over the years, and am in the process of rewrapping the favorite rod of one of my buddies... I have only done a couple the last four years or so, so I am a little out of practice.
    My first question is what the best way is to get rod finish to cure evenly with no lumps. I was planning to use Duragloss finish from the Cabelas Tackle Craft Catalog.
    My second question is how you guys label your blanks with a person's name so that the printing/ lettering comes out looking so good. Do you write on a piece of scotch tape on a flat surface and then transfer it onto the blank? Also once the lettering is applied to the blank, do you just apply rod finish over the top of it?
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Thanks so much for the help. I have really admired a lot of your work you have shown on this site. Several of you guys are incredibly talented. Thanks so much, Bill

2. No fences

No fences Newbie

Name:
    Adam Henry
    Boat:
    21' Triumph CC, Malibu yak
    My handwriting is terrrible. Try decal connection for made to order waterslides . It really adds a clean touch and they run about 4.00 a piece

3. Zombie

Zombie Member

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    Bennington
    Bill,
    To answer your first question, I use Aftcote finish and apply it with Testor's paint brushes. Once the area is covered I spread the finish using long lenghwise strokes. Once that's pretty even I hit the surface edge very briefly with a heat gun again using lengthwise strokes. The finish will thin just a bit with the heat then I pretty much leave it alone until it cures.

On your second question, I make my own decals on an Alps printer. I create the design, name, or whatever on a logo program then print it out to size. I give the decal a coat of Krylon clear and let it dry overnight. Next day it's ready to go on the rod and get finish on it.

That's just the way I do it, other guys may do it differently. Hope it helps, Randy.