Two months in baja

Discussion in 'Mexico Fishing Reports' started by blowncar, Oct 9, 2015.

1. blowncar

blowncar Member

Name:
    james
    Boat:
    LOBO DE MAR
    Started our trip Thursday morning from Chula vista. Hit the border at 430 am and was able to get immigration paper work done within 5 minutes. Easy drive to Ensenada but takes forever to clear the area. No real travel issues and we make it to Santa Rosalia before sunset. First time actually going downtown to stay, cute town. Up at dawn quick coffee in mulege and great breakfast in loerto. Book City Express hotel on line for $38 in LaPaz right on the water, get to LaPaz @230 after endering epic rain 40kms out. Clean up and head to the Tailhunter for cocktails and grub. Run into Roldan(great guy). Beers and dinner for under $20 and wife says guac and shrimp tacos are the best ever, I agree. Follow up with a few more rounds in town for under $12. Two more days here including a boat trial and off to San Jose to fish our boat for 6 weeks with new bd friends. Life is good. Hopefully good fishing reports to follow.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  2. Fish Asassin

Fish Asassin one cast = one kill

Name:
    Fred Garvin
    Boat:
    U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)
    Yep, always lose alot of time getting through Ensenada. Always traffic and I think approx. 500 red lights/ stop signs. I may be exaggerating, but not much

Bottom Line and blowncar like this.
  3. Fish Asassin

Name:
    Fred Garvin
    Boat:
    U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)
    Have fun down south. Relax and catch some

blowncar likes this.
  4. Fish Asassin

Name:
    Fred Garvin
    Boat:
    U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)
    All the way to Santa Rosalia in 1 day? thats a good haul. Remember when you go through that Vizcaino- Santa Rosalia area, everything is looking for shade! So, keep you windows rolled up or you'll have flies till winter! lol

blowncar likes this.
  5. blowncar

blowncar Member

Name:
    james
    Boat:
    LOBO DE MAR
    Well rolled out of lapaz @ 730 and had breakfast at hotel California in todos santos. Rained the whole way. Continue to sjdc and raining even heavier. Not much to do so head down to la marina hotel for lunch and beers. Much improvements taking place. The road around marina is now cement instead of dirt and huge pot holes, nice surprise. Unfortunately we learned George from la marina passed away a few months back. Last year my wife and he golfed a round and had a blast. Cheers George. Dropped off boat suppiles to our guide and he will be busy spooling up 15 reels today. Condo not ready so sitting at retro bar sipping on liter negro model @ $5. Fishing Tuesday if weather clears.

errock_22 and Fish Asassin like this.
  6. errock_22

errock_22 Professional Fuel Burner

Name:
    Eric B.
    Boat:
    Ranger 240 Bahia - "Lil' Mijo" & Triumph 1700 Skiff
    Following this thread for sure. I'd love to spend a month or two down there. Couple of weeks a year isn't enough!!!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    speikert and blowncar like this.
  7. blowncar

blowncar Member

Name:
    james
    Boat:
    LOBO DE MAR
    Well nothing good to report. We keep our boat at the Marine Group dry storage in SJDC. Before coming down they said it needed an injector service. Since I really don't have time to mess with it i authorized it. Boat was supposed to be ready last Thursday and in the water waiting. Flash to today, their outside vendor/repair guy took all 12 injectors last week and hasn't made it back. He has promised them he would finish today yet he stopped answering his phone after the time he was due to be there. The manager is not happy either but he has no way of enforcing anything. Currently pissed and moving quickly to very pissed. MG collected over $6500 in fees in the past year to simply keep my boat in their covered yard yet a simple service can't be performed. I have 2 days of fuse left before I completely blow up.

8. Fish Asassin

Name:
    Fred Garvin
    Boat:
    U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)
    can't give you a "Like" this time James. That sucks big time with the mechanic BS. You know the most popular word right? Manana... Hang in there ... give it 1 more day before you go ballistic on them

blowncar likes this.
  9. bparker1225

bparker1225 Ocean Addiction

Name:
    Bill Parker
    Boat:
    21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
    James will pm you. I would love to me up and have a cerveza maybe at the office. I will be down on the 26th, our house is out 30 mins past the harbor, just before La Fortuna.

blowncar likes this.
  10. blowncar

blowncar Member

Name:
    james
    Boat:
    LOBO DE MAR
    Thanks guys. I did get an email after closing hours that the mechanic will be there at 930am to finish, keeping the faith.

Fish Asassin likes this.
  11. BornFisher

BornFisher Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bill Fisher
    Boat:
    18' Bayliner Trophy, cuddy
    Good luck, sounds like you`re going to have a blast!!

12. Fish Asassin

Name:
    Fred Garvin
    Boat:
    U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)
    Well?... Please tell me that you now have a running boat! Or do you need bail money? :)

blowncar and ChrisE like this.
  13. blowncar

blowncar Member

Name:
    james
    Boat:
    LOBO DE MAR
    Well,,, mechanic showed and had him service the lower ends and change plugs while he was at it. Boat in the water at 2pm and it wont steer. Apparently the seal gave out over the summer. MG all over it to help us get going and pull the boat out of the water and get two guys on it. Pull out of harbor at 430 and buzz a mile or two at 40nkts and all is working great. Pull back in and have 3-8 beers with the workers who helped get us going. Loaded up with calimaria fillets and will be on the grounds by 730 tomorrow. Today was so so with the one boat i talked to getting 2 20lbs tunas and a stripper. Fingers crossed.

Fish Asassin likes this.
  14. Fish Asassin

Name:
    Fred Garvin
    Boat:
    U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)
    ALLLRIGHT !!! Great news... hope thier biting for you tomorrow ! Any day fishing beats hanging out in town. Go get em and let us know how you did. Be safe.

15. blowncar

blowncar Member

Name:
    james
    Boat:
    LOBO DE MAR
    Okay made it this morning and boat was doing its part. Everyone was fishing off punta gordo and we managed a big skippy. A wahoo tore thru my florcarbon while waiting a tuna. The guy next to us hooked a big stripe marlin and it greyhounded 30 times at least on its first run. Decided to try inner gordo. We picked up a nice pargo for dinner. Was about 86 today with a slight breeze. Note to self , more sunscreen,,,, several coats throughout the day!

16. Fish Asassin

Name:
    Fred Garvin
    Boat:
    U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)
    You'll get the fish. Good news the boat is all good now!

17. blowncar

blowncar Member

Name:
    james
    Boat:
    LOBO DE MAR
    After too much sun yesterday and wife taking a pass i woke up and decided a good boat cleaning and organization morning would be a good choice over fishing today. New outrigger lines and clips, downrigger cable and some barkeepers friend on the stainless took up several hours. Now we are ready and a little pretty. Some of the more productive locals didn't catch today although 1 boat caught 4 20lbs tunas. Humid and 93 so off to blockbuster for some movies and evening at home tonight. There will be good fishing soon,, I hope. Water temp 86*-94*

18. blowncar

blowncar Member

Name:
    james
    Boat:
    LOBO DE MAR
    Spent the day on a truly perfect Bertram today. Cruising for marlin only, scouting trip for Bisbee's. No luck other than a curious sailfish. It was flat calm today and you could have water skied if you wanted. Weird thing, I must have spotted 6 dead full size turtles today. Never seen more than 1-2 before. No obvious damage to them. Saw many live ones as well.

Fish Asassin likes this.
  19. blowncar

blowncar Member

Name:
    james
    Boat:
    LOBO DE MAR
    What a difference a day makes. Got an invite to fish on the fin addict in cabo .We went before dawn and headed towards the golden gate. IT WAS ROUGH. REPEAT ROUGH. As a guest I was worried I might get sick although I haven't been in over 100 trips. Well I made it just fine and fishing was good right away. I was first with a 25lb yellowfin and we had multiple 3 way hook ups for the next hour. With 1 fish to go the owner pulled in a 60lber. Trolling back I got to take a stripper that hit a lure. Nice air show and big run for his size but after that he was done. Great day meet new friends and had dinner with the owner and crew. Doesn't get much better, just need the couch to quit rocking tonight.

Fish Asassin likes this.
  20. Fish Asassin

Name:
    Fred Garvin
    Boat:
    U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)
    Thanks for the reports, James. Feel like Im there

blowncar likes this.