Two incredibly aggressive sea lions and bug report

MAL44

Aug 8, 2006
Rancho
Name
Mark
Boat
Proline 170
Get rid of those bait cages ! If those dogs can see what you have in the cage they wont give up until its destroyed.Put anything you want on it as a deterent they will get what they want.Black ABS tubes with holes.Ive been using them for years and have not ever lost one to a dog.I firmly believe that once they see the bait tube they leave me alone.I get them swimming by looking for a meal and when they realize they aint getting it they swim off,they dont even tug on my hoopnets anymore.
Please post a picture of your bait tubes, do they attract lobsters as well as cages?

JeffB

Jan 11, 2014
San Diego
Name
Jeffrey
Boat
N/A
Here us a 100% seal proof way to rug your nets. Nice thing about it that there is nothing sticking up off the nets. When the seals see this they will leave you alone. They may take a peak, but won't try and get at the bait bc they can't.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Put the yak on the water last night for a bug hunt. I hit the water just as sun was setting and dropped hoops with just a little bit of light left. I was half way through a cigar when I see a big knot head moving for my hoops.

This dog was relentless......he kept at my bait cages until he destroyed one and got to the bait. From then on there was no stopping him. We had a tug of war with two hoops.

It was plenty dark now and I was getting sick of fighting this sea lion. I started to pull up a hoop and saw the dog heading right at me. Just as I started to lift the hoop out of the water another dog raised out of the water about three feet and was looking me right in the face. This thing barked and spit at me and it startled me so much I actually let out a scream. It's spit and breath hit me square in the face and I can still see the mist of it's breath hanging in the still air and being lit by my head lamp.

I pulled the last hoop and started the paddle in. These two SOB's followed me all the way to the beach and kept bumping my kayak from under neath all the way back. I actually grabbed my knife and had it at the ready because I truly didn't know what these dogs would do.

Even with all that I did manage one bug and it was legal. I bet the crawl would have been good if not for those two frickin knot heads.

Good luck out there.

Sherm
Sorry!!! But funny!!! I surf a lot!! When I lived up in SF for a few years I would be surfing Ocean Beach. The waves there are very intermittent, so when slack u sit on your board. These damn seals would come up and ram you !! Bark at you just harass you!! Well with all the sharks it would scare the crap out of you!!! Anyway my little seal story!!! Hang in Sherm!! The one bug probably got in your trap to get away!!!! Jeff

Sherm

aka: The Sherminator
May 16, 2006
San Diego
Name
Scott
Boat
Yak
I've been meaning to make some tubes but hadn't had problems with the sea lions in a while. May have to get back to making a couple.

Smelt4bait

Mar 12, 2007
Anaheim
Name
Erik
Boat
18 ft Runabout 'Fathom This'
Last edited:
Reactions: Jhandyman

Dave Hansen

Yoursaltwaterguide.com
Advertiser
May 26, 2007
Where ever fish need to be caught.
Name
Www.yoursaltwaterguide.com
Boat
YOUR BOAT. ANY WHERE, ANYTIME

Bigsurfer

Sep 7, 2014
Name
Todd
Boat
None
Have a 9 foot yak, and after reading this...I'm kind of haired out to go out there alone (for fishing) if the seals are that aggressive!

Sherm

aka: The Sherminator
May 16, 2006
San Diego
Name
Scott
Boat
Yak
Have a 9 foot yak, and after reading this...I'm kind of haired out to go out there alone (for fishing) if the seals are that aggressive!
I've never had them bother me when fishing from the yak only when buggin and this was the first time they were so crazy aggressive.

twice bit

Apr 23, 2007
San Marcos
Name
Mike Hill
Boat
21FT Wellcraft Fisherman
It's not just at night when the cute little mother fkrs are out. Last week off green tank had 2, taking nice lings off the line. Finally threw some bonito at the bastards when we hooked a good one to distract it. We do need to reduce there numbers. Way, way to many aggressive and lazy ones to deal with.

rdrrm8e

Fucking Stan
Nov 19, 2003
Anaheim
bdoutdoors.com
Name
chuck
Boat
No
It's not Legal at all. Good luck .
Dave

What part of this makes it illegal?

I am being serious.

Potential methods for use by fishers to deter Pacific harbor seals and
California sea lions from damaging gear or catch
(anglers must be actively fishing with gear deployed)
Visual Repellents/Noise Makers:
• boat hazing, circling
• pounding on hull
• pyrotechnics (e.g., bird screamers, bangers, underwater firecrackers, cracker shells)
• starter pistols*
• horns, bells, whistles
Physical Contact:
• sling shots
• non-toxic and water soluble paint ball guns*
• non-lethal ammunition (e.g., rubber bullets, sabot rounds, game stingers)
*The equipment used in these methods must be easily identifiable, at a distance, as a non-lethal
weapon. Use of automatic discharge when using these methods is NOT recommended, due to increased
risk of injury to the public and marine mammals.

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
jim
Boat
24 ft grady white
It's not just at night when the cute little mother fkrs are out. Last week off green tank had 2, taking nice lings off the line. Finally threw some bonito at the bastards when we hooked a good one to distract it. We do need to reduce there numbers. Way, way to many aggressive and lazy ones to deal with.
This is part of the problem,you fed them a fish to keep them from stealing a fish.

Reactions: peteking

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
It's unfortunate but it's Just a matter of time before someone get really fucked up and hopefully steps will be taken...couple of em have been stalking my dogs lately and I've had several incidents that have never happened before...
One of the guys just had one attack his lab and rip a hole in its chest at the dock..

Last edited:
Reactions: reeladventure

icscommand

Chief
Dec 19, 2004
Rancho San Diego
Name
Dean
Boat
20' Fish-rite CC
If these were bears in the State and National parks they would be relocated and marked first time and destroyed the second. I use the same wire mesh to wrap my bait cages. Holds the smaller chunks of bait and have not had a box destroyed yet. The smaller hog rings like they use in auto uphostery work great.

Reactions: peteking