Two guys on small boat + Experience + Luck = ~378 lb Blue Marlin (2/21/10)

wisebob

Sep 19, 2009
honolulu, hi
Name
bob
Boat
smallsize kine
Went out on my 19 feet boat with my friend Roy S. from Keehi at daybreak on Sunday. Plan was to head to BO bouy. No birds were around and water was calm so didn't expect much.

About 4/5th's of the way there, our center rigger went off. I first thought it was a big Ahi because it stayed down and peeled off a lot of line from the 80W. About 10-15 minutes later, fish comes jumping out of the air -- marlin! Kept fighting and jumped out another time with a picture perfect shot; we could see the 9" lure about 5-6 feet away from mouth in the air. It tried to pull its tricks and swim ahead of the boat. Spent about another hour or so wearing it down below before making the landing; it was a very strong fighter and we couldn't have done it that quickly without the 80W's low speed gear.

Headed back home right after; never made it to BO. Fish weighed in about 378 lbs and was approximately 11 feet from tip of bill to end of tail. Great day on the water and could never have done it without my fishing guru friend Roy.

bob
(I'm the guy in the red shirt and Roy is wearing the cap)

Attachments

captdon1

Jun 4, 2009
kaneohe, hi.
Name
don
Boat
33' kamicraft "KIMI ANN"
good going wisebob!! nice phish.and a job well done!

aloha captdon.

aj1976

Apr 14, 2008
kaneohe
Name
aj
Boat
23 Seacraft
Yee haw! That marlin got some girth. Good going on da small boat. Must have been hard work. congrats!!!

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
Wisebob, good going on your marlin! Are you going to put it on the SOC website?

wisebob

Sep 19, 2009
honolulu, hi
Name
bob
Boat
smallsize kine
Thanks guys. It was an experience of a lifetime. It "glowed" neon blue twice -- it was an amazing sight to see when that happened. No bang stick or flying gaff; just old-fashioned fighting and wearing it down.

The big blue eyes are also incredibly mesmerizing...

bob

grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
congrats guys - GREAT fish! what kind/color of lure and in what position?

tight lines,

cheehuli

May 22, 2009
Kaneohe Hi.
Name
Chase
Boat
24' Custom Sampan "Girlie T"
Ho! You wen hook em in da face a good one. Congrats on the nice fish. Time fo some smoke meat. Cheehuuuu!

ahi lawaia

Jan 17, 2008
Hawaii
Name
CP
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 21
Nice catch! You needed one "Wide Load" sign to tow the boat home with that big marlin athwartships li'dat! :D Congratulations, great catch and smoke marlin for all!

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Hey Bob,
CONGRATULATIONS! Nice catch and what a great year 2010 is beginning to shape up for you. Now I small kine jealous and need to go out and catch one fo myself!

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Bob & crew, including Guru,

Way to get after that Kajiki, very nice Blue. Good to see some decent sized Pelagics around!!!

Cheers
Pat

grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
well...quite a few nice marlin caught in the last few weeks on Oahu - at least 7 I know of first hand, and, we all seem to have scared away the Sierra Club / Greenpeace / Whale Wars gals from critizing us from killing (and consuming) marlin...at least for now...keep the gaffs and the bats handy...

tight lines,