dirtybirds

Aug 17, 2007
Redwood City, CA
Name
Newbs
Boat
None
Hi Guys,

Would a Accurate Twin Spin 12 work for top water irons and surface poppers on a 5 day trip to The Loop or Cedros islands?? Not that I can't cast my other 7 Accurate reels, but I think it would be a blast pulling in Tuna and Yellows on a spinning reel.. Maybe 50 pound braid, with a short top shot of 40 #??

Any comments from any anglers who have used this Awesome looking little reel would be helpful?? I've tried searching the boards, but didn't see anything listed on them so far..

Thanks in advance!

Bird

fishordie

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
Hi Bird,

It is a fantastic reel which can be used for bait or artificials. I have all 3 of the Twin spin sizes and love them all. However, you might consider the 20 size twin spin if you plan on moving up one or two days in the future. Both the 12 and the 20 have plenty of drag for almost any line gauge you wish to use but the 20 will have a bit more capacity. For a 5 day pick bite reel for bait the 12 is off the hook. Either reel will do what you want in spades.

Jamie

Sep 16, 2007
glendora ca.
Name
steve huth
Boat
mike's-bill's good to have friends
I had no trouble landing 30# yellowtail on mine. but for long soaks it is a little short on line. I fish 65# spectra then 15 to 40# topshots. It is a great reel and have fun using it.

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
As a note: I have caught a ton of 40 to 120 pound yellowfin and blue fin tuna on both the 12 and 20 size spinners from long range boats. NO problem.

Jamie

dirtybirds

Aug 17, 2007
Redwood City, CA
Name
Newbs
Boat
None
Thanks Steve and Jaime for the quick responses.. It's much appreciated.

What rod do you have with paired up with the 12?? I'm thinking a Tuna Sniper 8'6" rod, but am totally up for suggestions.. Looking for the surface irons & Poppers and possible live bait rod when the longer cast is required..

fishhard1

Accurate Fishing Products
Advertiser
May 5, 2005
Corona, CA.
www.accuratefishing.com
Name
Matt Harper
Boat
none....yet.
The guys have nailed it. The 12 is certainly up to the task, but if your looking for little more line capacity, then go with the 20. Everything else about them is pretty much equal.

Luhr'd Away

Jul 9, 2007
San Pedro/ Victorville
Name
Art
Boat
40' Luhrs Convertible, Luhr'd Away (SOLD)
Hi Bird,

It is a fantastic reel which can be used for bait or artificials. I have all 3 of the Twin spin sizes and love them all. However, you might consider the 20 size twin spin if you plan on moving up one or two days in the future. Both the 12 and the 20 have plenty of drag for almost any line gauge you wish to use but the 20 will have a bit more capacity. For a 5 day pick bite reel for bait the 12 is off the hook. Either reel will do what you want in spades.

Jamie
X2 on the SR20

Sep 16, 2007
glendora ca.
Name
steve huth
Boat
mike's-bill's good to have friends
I have 5 custom made spinning rods, 2-8' calstar grafighters 12-25 20-50 also 3-7' grafighter 20-40 25-50 30-80. it all depends on what you are after. I have all my rods built at DAN'S CUSTOM RODS (626 330-1949) IN LA PUENTE CA. the next rod I am going to have a rod built is a 8'6" 20-50 jaws rod, Alps seat, titaniem carbite guides.3 color custom wrap. The price will be $250.00. I realy like the jaws rods thay cast great then shut off with um matched lifting power. the new rod is for Cedros Yellowtails on iron and plugs. jaws also has factory wraped rods. NO I DON'T WORK FOR JAWS just like them.

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
The cool thing about the 12 and 20 size spinners is you can fish any line size from 15 pound to 80 pound by matching them to an appropriate rod. Though 80 pound might be pushing it for long range applications many folks are using the 20 for fish Like G.T.'s and good size tuna from movable boats which do not require a ton of capacity but require a ton of stopping power and thus 80 pound for that application is no problem.

Interestingly enough I use my old rewrapped Calstar 700XH for both the 12 and 20 size spinners. What was too light a tip and upper section for this fisherman when using that rod with a conventional has translated very well into a spinning rod for 40 to 60 pound line on my 12 and 20 Accurate Twin Spins. I have even gone down as low as 25 pound with that rig but I prefer other gear when really light lining as I do not need that fantastic Accurate drag system for fishing under 30 pound test.

Jamie