Turtle Bay-The Ridge-Mag Bay

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by bobrehfuss, Nov 5, 2012.

1. bobrehfuss

bobrehfuss Ruffo

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Yes
    We are leaving out of San Diego on Thursday November 8th and heading south. Boat is 55' Hatteras, name is Habanero. Plan is to start at Cedros and fish from there to Los Cabos and arrive Los Cabos on the 19th. Probably focus most on Turtle Bay, The Ridge and Mag Bay.

Anyone else gonna be heading down that way during that time?

Any reports from that stretch or beyond?

Kenny, if you read this how long are you guys staying down there?

Any and all input welcome!

Cheers
    Bob

2. Bill Erhardt

Bill Erhardt Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bill Erhardt
    Boat:
    Bluewater 23T "Soledad"
    Wahoo action has slowed considerable over the last few days out of Lopez Mateos as the SST has cooled. I fished a long day yesterday along with four or five other boats. I don't know anybody who got more than three hoos. I've still not seen the first marlin this year.....

3. total kaos

total kaos Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    60' Hatteras
    We are also leaving for that area on the 8th from san pedro we should be in Turtle Bay by Sat. then fish are way down to mag bay. The name of are boat is "Phoenix" 60' Hatteras.
    we monitor 16 & 68/72

4. bobrehfuss

bobrehfuss Ruffo

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Yes
    Bill, thanks for the current report on the wahoo. I appreciate the info and love seeing your great wahoo reports and pics. Have you seen any tuna or dorado lately? Bob told me that Cary on the Success has been getting some big tuna with dorado and wahoo mixed in but not sure where he is fishing. That is a nice robalo that Ruben is holding. Might have to give him a call when we are down there. Maybe he can come outside and pick us up and then go back inside for snook. Do you know if his phone number still the same? I haven't called him for a couple of years.

Scott, we are gonna stop in Ensenada on Friday then head down on Saturday. plan is to arrive Cedros on Sunday but looks like there might be some weather on Saturday that might delay us a day. Just have to see what mother nature deals us. It's supposed to snow here in Big Bear on Thursday and friday. Ill give you a shout on the radio when we get in that area.

5. eljurel

eljurel Cazador de Mar y Tierra

Name:
    Genaro
    Boat:
    "Baja Hunter" Striper 2301
    WOW! Great trip Bob, you are one lucky HDLC....

6. total kaos

total kaos Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    60' Hatteras
    Are plan is to also be in Ensenda on fri. Going to the Coral to top off and get FMM then off to Cedros
    Looks to be a great trip , look forward to hearing from you.

7. Bill Erhardt

Bill Erhardt Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bill Erhardt
    Boat:
    Bluewater 23T "Soledad"
    Bob.....There are a few dorado and schools of small yellowfin on the Ridge where I've been fishing for wahoo and occasionally they will take a wahoo lure. The tuna have been generally small, but there are some nice dorado around. I have looked for yellowfin running to and from Boca de Soledad, but have seen none.
    I also heard that the Success got into some bigger yellowfin last week, but don't know where they were fishing. My guess is south around Lucitania.
    Ruben's numbers, cell and home, are the same. Let me know if you try and can't get him. He's a busy guy this time of year. He and other Lopez pangueros have been catching snook for some time, and it is just now getting into normal snook season. It promises to be a good one.

8. KK1

KK1 Newbie

Name:
    Kenny
    Boat:
    Pescador - 44 Pacifica
    Marlin fishing out of Turtle to San Pablo is great!! 22 for us today on the 100 fathom line just above San Pablo. Other boats doing very well above us a bit. Stayed at Asuncion last night and again tonight. Bait making good here for better sized Mack's. Dorado plentiful and some tuna around too. Heard reports of lots of marlin just below Colonet and on the Ranger Bank.

9. bobrehfuss

bobrehfuss Ruffo

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Yes
    Scott, do you guys have an idea what time your gonna arrive/depart Marina Coral?

Bill,thanks for the info. I'm not sure when we are gonna make it to Mag Bay so I'll just have to try Ruben once we get to Santa Maria and see what we can put together. Sure would like a robalo and some of those Mag Bay shrimp!

Kenny, you guys are killing it, congrats!! Glad you found the elusive Bahia Asuncion mackerel. Thanks for all of the info.

10. total kaos

total kaos Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    60' Hatteras
    should be at the coral marina friday early am and leave as soon as we get are FMMs

Here is my cell # 949 735 1800
    Scott

11. Mag Bay Yachts

Mag Bay Yachts Formerly Captain CABO Advertiser

Name:
    Barrett
    Boat:
    Mag Bay 33
    Hey KK save some for us! I'm sitting at the Coral waiting for the port captain to open to go get cleared, should be at the ranger bank tomorrow morning and turtle on Thursday. I'll see you in a couple days, i'm on the 43 Cabo Gad Zukes.

Barrett

12. Captain Juan SQ

Captain Juan SQ ARLETT DEL MAR.

Name:
    Captain Juan SQ.
    Boat:
    parker 23/20.slaptail.
    hey bob, wow what a trip thats going to be,out here in front of la bocana theres been lots of marlin and dorado 8 to 12 miles off the beach,and theres been some hoos &tails&dorado at the 25 spot,we monitor channel 18 around here,goodluck&goodfishing.

13. bobrehfuss

bobrehfuss Ruffo

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Yes
    Juan, I've been reading your shore fishing posts, love all the great stories and pics. Makes me wish I was in La Bocana. Is it lobster season there now? Say hi to Joquin for me and I'll see if I can get you on the radio when we are in the area.

14. Captain Juan SQ

Captain Juan SQ ARLETT DEL MAR.

Name:
    Captain Juan SQ.
    Boat:
    parker 23/20.slaptail.

10-4 bob.ill lett joaquin now youll be in the area,have a great time.
    lobester season is in full boor,57 tons so far.

15. vaaler

vaaler Newbie

Name:
    Erik Vaaler
    Boat:
    Morpheus
    I fished the Mag Bay area last week. The stripes hadn't arrived in good numbers yet; we only caught 12 in 3 days. The wahoo bite was ok, and the dorado bite was good. Most dorado were ~15#, but did get one at 54#. Finger Bank was absolutely dead. We fished the Finger from dawn to noon for ZERO, not even a short strike. Picked up 10 small (10# - 25#)YFT outside of GG bank on the way back to Cabo.

Erik

16. bobrehfuss

bobrehfuss Ruffo

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Yes
    Thanks for the info Eric. Leaving Ensenada tomorrow and heading for Cedros. Should be fishing by Sunday AM. If the finger is dead we will prob swing through the Morgan on our way down. i will post reports as WiFi permits.

17. bobrehfuss

bobrehfuss Ruffo

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Yes
    Thats a lot of lobster Juan! Is that 57 tons just out of La Bocana?

18. bobrehfuss

bobrehfuss Ruffo

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Yes
    Hey Scott, my phone got drunk last night and didnt notice your text until this afternoon. I tried texting you but I think you guys were here and gone by then. Im guessing from your text you guys are in route to Turtle Bay. I'll call you on the radio Sunday when we are in the area. Hope your already killin 'em by then!

19. blowhole

blowhole Well-Known "Member"

bahia asuncion, on the west coast of central baja
    Name:
    shari & juan arce
    Boat:
    28' super panga
    We finally got our antenna back up and will be standing by on 16 & 72 in case you need anything here in Asuncion. We have been seeing YT, dorado and even wahoo and monster calico.

20. Fish Asassin

Fish Asassin one cast = one kill

Name:
    Fred Garvin
    Boat:
    U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)
    I was in Asuncion all last week. All the Dorado and medium sized YT you want. Rapallas and yo-yo jigs. Weather was perfect!!