Turner's: Walked in to pull on rods, walked out with a new reel.

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
So the truth is I've never really taken Turner's seriously as a tackle shop, I've always sort of thought of it as a Big Box type store like Bass Pro or something. However I wanted to compare some Axis rods and was right near the Clairemont Mesa store so I went in. They had the rods I wanted to check out and they are having a sale too, 15% off. I was still undecided about the rod but noticed they had some FTH40NLD2's in stock and I had been thinking about getting one (a second) but everyone seems to be sold out. Just curious I asked the price, assuming it would be $299 as is normal. The guy said they were 10% off. Now honestly I don't think I've ever bought a Penn reel on sale, EVER. That is $30 towards line so I asked about spooling it with 80lb Threadlock, he said $56 ! That sounded pretty good to me so the end of the story is I walked out with a brand new 40NLD2 filled to brim with 80#hc spectra for about $350 out the door tax included 8-) No waiting, no shipping, NOW :D
Needless to say I'm pretty happy about it. Today I go back for the rod (had to think it over for a while).

Exodus

• Jun 20, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Damon's 26' Shamrock..."Solito"
    Thanks for the heads up! They have a rod I was on the fence about and the 15% off makes it hard to resist.

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    So the truth is I've never really taken Turner's seriously as a tackle shop, I've always sort of thought of it as a Big Box type store like Bass Pro or something. However I wanted to compare some Axis rods and was right near the Clairemont Mesa store so I went in. They had the rods I wanted to check out and they are having a sale too, 15% off. I was still undecided about the rod but noticed they had some FTH40NLD2's in stock and I had been thinking about getting one (a second) but everyone seems to be sold out. Just curious I asked the price, assuming it would be $299 as is normal. The guy said they were 10% off. Now honestly I don't think I've ever bought a Penn reel on sale, EVER. That is $30 towards line so I asked about spooling it with 80lb Threadlock, he said $56 ! That sounded pretty good to me so the end of the story is I walked out with a brand new 40NLD2 filled to brim with 80#hc spectra for about $350 out the door tax included 8-) No waiting, no shipping, NOW :D
    Needless to say I'm pretty happy about it. Today I go back for the rod (had to think it over for a while).
    I just picked one up and a 60 and a 40 as well best price on earth out the door with no line 270.00 shipped so that a great deal for a take home same day!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Do they sell blanks or just already built rods?

Upvote 0