joew38

Captain
Aug 21, 2009
Glendora
Name
Joe
Boat
20' Robalo
I recently purchased a Penn Fathom 12 from them and on the first trip out the real malfunctions, basically i went to set the hook on a tuna and the gears stripped. When I purchased it i paid to have braid spooled on the reel. They exchanged the reel and then the guy asked me if I wanted line on the reel. I said you could use the line on my old reel. He didn't have any empty spools there so he tells me I will just use new line. He spools up the reel and at checkout he charges me 35 dollars for the line when I just paid for line one month ago when i bought the reel. I argued with him and he basically told me he theres nothing he could do and he wouldn't let me leave without paying for the line. So I paid for it but I am not happy about their service. Am I out of line on here ? To me they just lost a customer.

Upvote 0

OnPoint1

Oct 27, 2014
San Diego
Name
OnPoint1
Boat
n/a
I was in a similar situation where I had to exchange a newly purchased spinning reel due to wobble in the handle. My request to exchange spools was denied and they attempted to charge me a 2nd time to re-spool, so I just left with the replacement. I took it as a loss and the fellas at Squidco have been taking care of me ever since.

Upvote 0

bluewaterbum

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
I recently purchased a Penn Fathom 12 from them and on the first trip out the real malfunctions, basically i went to set the hook on a tuna and the gears stripped. When I purchased it i paid to have braid spooled on the reel. They exchanged the reel and then the guy asked me if I wanted line on the reel. I said you could use the line on my old reel. He didn't have any empty spools there so he tells me I will just use new line. He spools up the reel and at checkout he charges me 35 dollars for the line when I just paid for line one month ago when i bought the reel. I argued with him and he basically told me he theres nothing he could do and he wouldn't let me leave without paying for the line. So I paid for it but I am not happy about their service. Am I out of line on here ? To me they just lost a customer.

Why, just get ahold of Turner's Corp. and explain this to them. Problem might get solved.

Reactions: mike1010 and tony38
Upvote 0

FishfinderX

Almost A Member
Sep 7, 2014
San Diego
Name
James
Boat
SOLD
You're not crazy Joe they suck. From their lack of knowledge to their shitty customer service it's plenty enough reason to avoid this place. Had a couple crazy incidents there, like being blamed for ruining a reel when I tried to exchange it(no bs the reel had the clicker on when the guy inspected it and thought I broke it!). Another time I was rudely and loudly scolded by a young girl there for letting her know the lobster gauges weren't where she told me to help her out when future customers ask. Your situation could have been avoided if they had saved an empty spool or two. Which is a very common tackle store move. They don't think like a real tackle store because they are not a real tackle store. One man's opinion.

Upvote 0

joew38

Captain
Aug 21, 2009
Glendora
Name
Joe
Boat
20' Robalo
Why, just get ahold of Turner's Corp. and explain this to them. Problem might get solved.

There corporate is open monday through friday so i will give them a call on monday and see if they can make it right.

You're not crazy Joe they suck. From their lack of knowledge to their shitty customer service it's plenty enough reason to avoid this place. Had a couple crazy incidents there, like being blamed for ruining a reel when I tried to exchange it(no bs the reel had the clicker on when the guy inspected it and thought I broke it!). Another time I was rudely and loudly scolded by a young girl there for letting her know the lobster gauges weren't where she told me to help her out when future customers ask. Your situation could have been avoided if they had saved an empty spool or two. Which is a very common tackle store move. They don't think like a real tackle store because they are not a real tackle store. One man's opinion.

Yeah i was not pleased with this at all, that is not how you keep people coming back.

Upvote 0

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Name
Frank
Boat
no

that kinda sucks since you told him you could use the old line. Sounds like you got burned...maybe they should change their name to Burners..

Reactions: Statistico
Upvote 0

garlicsalt

Jul 18, 2014
pitted.
Name
jed
Boat
''the twisted ducker''
Hate that fucking place, there holier than thou attitude. you know we know everything about gun's and fishing, and even check out and you don't know shit. that sent me to a real gun shop and tackle store years ago.

The best part is they don't seem to give a care, as if they are the only game in town.

Don't bother calling corporate, tried that once. called Bill Numb nuts about a customer service issue. left a message never herd back that was the last straw.

It is apparent it runs from the top down.

Last edited:
Reactions: FishfinderX
Upvote 0

hdz805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 26, 2010
805 Santa Barbara
Name
jesus
Boat
Fishkilla
That sucks, the guys from Oxnard are great
Never had any problem, shit sometimes they only charge me $10 for spectra spooling

Upvote 0

FishfinderX

Almost A Member
Sep 7, 2014
San Diego
Name
James
Boat
SOLD
Hate that fucking place, there holier than thou attitude. you know we know everything about gun's and fishing, and even check out and you don't know shit. that sent me to a real gun shop and tackle store years ago.

The best part is they don't seem to give a care, as if they are the only game in town.

Don't bother calling corporate, tried that once called Bill Numb nuts about a customer service issue left a message never herd back that was the last straw.

It is apparent it runs from the top down.

Exactly!! Most arrogant gun department I've ever experienced!! The Oxnard shop might be a diamond in the rough but for the most part, I mean the absolute largest majority of Turners are shit!! Amazing that they are still in business. I just don't understand it.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Sounds to me like the fat lady is singing.....sorry!:(
Turners is not perfect....maybe thats why I like turners.I would be willing to bet the satisfied customers out weigh the "bad experience" customers.I personally don't take time to write good customer service reviews.Just how the internet works.Just my opinion...what do I know?

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Im sure turners will take care of you.when they do make sure to let us know ok....thanks.

Upvote 0

cacahuates

S.K.I.P.
Apr 19, 2010
LB
Name
Mike Dumalski
Boat
Triton 18 SE "RESEARCH"
That kid just sucks. Sorry you had a bad experience. It's been well over a decade since I worked for Turner's (Fountain Valley) but I would routinely swap line on reels. It is really no big deal. That's too bad that he blamed the lack of an empty spool lying around for not getting you taken care of. I always had lots of spools laying around my counter and at the very worst case scenario would have had you hang on to the broken reel and spun it strait on your new one (that's how you get the fresh stuff on top anyway). Maybe they were swamped or maybe he was new and didn't know any better?

It sounds like they replaced your used reel no questions asked so you have to give them credit for that.

Reactions: bayfisher86
Upvote 0

Kola chaser

Dec 30, 2013
victorville ca usa
Name
Kola chaser
Boat
Coming soon
Sounds like that guy jerry

Upvote 0

Johnlgarrison

• Jul 27, 2009
    Temecula CA USA!
    www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
    Name
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    If you don't get help from Turners how about contacting Penn, after all they made the reel you had to return becuase of bad quality control.

Upvote 0

I'M OFF

Really off
    Jul 12, 2007
    On the deck
    Name
    Tommy
    Boat
    It doesnt sound like the reel at all. It sounds like the braid was not put on tight and right. If the braid is not tight when put on it feels like there is no drag and the spool just slips making you think its the reel. Make sure you have a REAL shop put braid on your reel.

Reactions: Johnlgarrison
    Upvote 0

joew38

Captain
    Aug 21, 2009
    Glendora
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    20' Robalo
    It doesnt sound like the reel at all. It sounds like the braid was not put on tight and right. If the braid is not tight when put on it feels like there is no drag and the spool just slips making you think its the reel. Make sure you have a REAL shop put braid on your reel.

It was definitely the reel.

That kid just sucks. Sorry you had a bad experience. It's been well over a decade since I worked for Turner's (Fountain Valley) but I would routinely swap line on reels. It is really no big deal. That's too bad that he blamed the lack of an empty spool lying around for not getting you taken care of. I always had lots of spools laying around my counter and at the very worst case scenario would have had you hang on to the broken reel and spun it strait on your new one (that's how you get the fresh stuff on top anyway). Maybe they were swamped or maybe he was new and didn't know any better?

It sounds like they replaced your used reel no questions asked so you have to give them credit for that.

They did replace my reel no questions asked and I was actually going to write a good review about the guy who helped me. The problem I have is that I told him to use the line on my old reel and he made it sound like he was going to just put new line on there for free because he didn't have any empty spools laying around. Then at checkout he charges for the line and I'm not mad i had to pay 35 dollars I'm mad he wouldn't tell me that before he put the line on the reel. It was just bad customer service.

Upvote 0

walkerman

May 7, 2008
    Ventura
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    n/a
    It was definitely the reel.

They did replace my reel no questions asked and I was actually going to write a good review about the guy who helped me. The problem I have is that I told him to use the line on my old reel and he made it sound like he was going to just put new line on there for free because he didn't have any empty spools laying around. Then at checkout he charges for the line and I'm not mad i had to pay 35 dollars I'm mad he wouldn't tell me that before he put the line on the reel. It was just bad customer service.

Should have just told him you don't want to pay twice. Have home remove the new line, and you remove the old line and install it at home. I am guessing you would have then got it for free.

Upvote 0

loosendrag

Jul 13, 2006
    Greater Los Angeles Area
    Name
    John
    Boat
    None
    It sounds more like there was a communication error going on between you and the clerk rather than plain BS customer service in this case.
    I don't know about other locations. But people at Tuners in Pasadena are very nice and professional.

Upvote 0

marlyn

• Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Lol,they tried to charge me 5 bucks to tie a connection between spectra and mono,i dont think they like to deal with spectra as it takes up too much of their precious BSing time.

Reactions: lkatdpelicanfly
    Upvote 0