I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 26, 2003
Escondido
Visit site
Name
Sean
Boat
I'm a Ho'.....
Just some helpful advice, be sure to do it with archery...... ;)

Figured I'd throw this out there since the turkeys are overlapping the same area that the mystical pigs are around east county. Don't get caught carrying a slug on you..... :)

-------------------------

Question:

When someone is out turkey hunting – and they also have a pig tag – in addition to their shotgun shells for turkeys, can they legally have a slug on their person so that they can shoot a pig with the same gun? (Terri S.)
Answer:

No, this would not be legal because turkeys and pigs have two different allowable methods of take. Pigs are allowed to be taken with shotgun slugs but turkeys may only be taken by shotguns 10 gauge or smaller while in possession of shot size no larger than No. 2 shot. This means that the two animals have different ammunition restrictions, so the hunters may not possess a shotgun slug while turkey hunting.
Methods authorized for taking big game (wild pig) include shotgun slugs, rifle bullets, pistol and revolver bullets, bow and arrow and crossbow (2008-2009 Mammal Hunting Regulation booklet, pg 16 Section 353).
Methods of take for resident small game (wild turkey) are shotguns 10 gauge or smaller. Shotgun shells may not be used or possessed that contain shot size larger than No. BB, except that shot size larger than No. 2 may not be used or possessed when taking wild turkey (2009-2010 Upland Game Hunting Regulation booklet, pg 15, Section 311(b)).

---------------------------------------

Upvote 0

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
Jan 12, 2010
Kurt's neighborhood
Name
Tony
Boat
Tarpon 140
If you could ambush a hog at 5-10 yrds with a superfull trky choke and a 3.5" shell with 2ozs of #2 heavy's, maybe not by the book, but that's a dead pig. I think I've got the swine flu, otherwise known as HOG FEVER. l'll just take the .270 and forget aboot the goblers.;)

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
Interesting....I always carry my .45 because I've seen some kitties near a couple of my spots. I've got stopped by DFG on the way out, different one's every time and they've told me there's no problem with it.

Upvote 0

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
Jan 12, 2010
Kurt's neighborhood
Name
Tony
Boat
Tarpon 140
Interesting....I always carry my .45 because I've seen some kitties near a couple of my spots. I've got stopped by DFG on the way out, different one's every time and they've told me there's no problem with it.
Good to know. If I do go turkey hunting, I'll have to find the holster for my .44 mag. I may have to pack it or the .40 for close range hogs or as a backup in either case.

Upvote 0

Cuernos

Jan 7, 2010
Santucky
Name
Raul
Boat
I'll Split The Gas And Bait
Another reason why I hunt with a bow. I can also hit a turkey at 60 which is to far for most turkey loads.

Upvote 0