Nov 6, 2011
San Diego
Name
Rory
Boat
fish and chicks
Short story:
shot a turkey

Headed out to a property I’ve been cutting down trees/stacking firewood for the owner the last couple years. Hunting wasn’t even in my mindset with everything going on. Got the call on the 29th

“We are at our other place in AZ, could you take a drive out to the ranch and check on it? There are turkeys everywhere also, feel free to give it a shot for a couple days”

Um, fuck yea. Loaded the truck with all the goods plus wife and kid. Headed out early next morning.

This place is amazing. 84 or so acres about an hour from PB. Felt great to be out in nature with the wife and kid without a sole in site or TV on anywhere. No news, nobody telling me shit about this is what’s happening and here’s what’s gonna happen, just birds chirpin’, rabbits and squirrels darting every which way, and turkeys gobbling’.

Day 1: I went and walked around to see what was going on. Saw about 20 turkeys while walking the property, no shot opportunities. I’m no turkey hunter although I have shot two prior to this. Spot and stalk style. Not one to sit around.

Day 2: More of the first. Chasing these things around but they made me every time. All I could think was Jesus these things are smart and quick. Not like deer where you can sneak in to under 300 yards and you’re golden. So decided to build a blind. Found some old chicken wire in the bone yard and used that as a fence and built a little blind around an oak tree with good cover. Couple of the logs we stacked for a seat and some tree trimming for shooting lanes. Pretty much a 360* view except for one little corner. But they won’t come up that way...

Day 3: In the blind by 6am. Calling here and there and hearing gobbles. Wife text me a picture of a Tom checking himself out in the reflection of my truck... Ok well at least they are out moving around. Make some more calls and they start responding. I shut up and just keep my eyes in the binos that direction. Finally pick a couple up about 500 yards away, but moving my direction. A few hens move into a little pasture, you know, in that area they wouldnt come in from. Damnit. I just sit still and call a couple more times. He moves in behind the hens and is dancing all over the place. At about 300 yards they decide to move up a little knoll behind some sage brush.

At this point, I’ve Been in the blind about 2 hours. I grew impatient and decided to see if I could stalk them. I dropped down to the road behind me and walked a fence line until I figured I was about adjacent with them. Crawled under the fence and poked my head up above a little dirt mound and there are two hens about 6 yards in front of me. Fuck, busted. Or so I thought... belly crawled a little bit until I was behind some manzanita and peaked over again. One hen had her head back down and the other did the same a couple seconds later. To my right I pick up some red through the bush. Focus a bit and it was him. He took a couple steps out and was in full strut about 30 yards in front of me. I laid back down, shook the nerves and took the safety off. Stand up, he sticks his head up and I let one go.

He jumps, does a barrel roll and takes off running down the hill. At this point I’m freaking out trying to play it all back. “Did I wing him, did I just take some feather off him” all the birds go behind a stack of wood under a pine tree, I walk behind the stack so they don’t see me. They take off for the field in front and I see the younger toms and Jakes turn around and go back to the tree. They did this two times so I figured the bird was piled up there. Walked down and there he was. Biggest turkey to date for me (being my third, will be hard to top).

A rush and exciting times. From watching him strut around to the final seconds, changed my view of turkey hunting. Really fun and looking forward to my next outing. Definitely some things I need to work on and research. Still isnt deer hunting but edging in close.

Got to take the wife and kid out to shoot the .22 and did a lot of hiking. Didn’t want to leave, and I think I’m closer to talking her into buying something out there. Beautiful country and very peaceful. Looking forward to splitting more wood out there this year!
Sorry for the story. Figured everyone has some extra time right now.
118650D3-E402-47B2-A7C5-CBDA7CCEDE27.jpeg
44DB76B8-4DF8-490C-9DD7-B8C43D588CCC.jpeg
6294AF06-A7BC-4C3A-B1E8-1C578E7DDC17.jpeg
EF9DE9C9-097A-441E-B247-DE0D23DC10F1.jpeg
9668A772-16D8-4991-9236-6ACB17E21D6F.jpeg
E1E05F6B-46AA-49A5-B470-100E46143EB3.jpeg
6FDB98D7-8D66-4FEA-B6EB-4FB41A0F873F.jpeg
BE9DD7FF-32DE-4AB3-A4FA-158202360469.jpeg

Last edited:

ahidog

10000 atta boys
Sep 15, 2004
San Diego
Name
Tom
Boat
105', Camcraft, 85', Ditmar, 65' Noreck
Nice job

Reactions: ror_sal

kbray001

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 18, 2009
South OC
Name
Kirk
Boat
Regal 24
Short story:
shot a turkey

Headed out to a property I’ve been cutting down trees/stacking firewood for the owner for the last couple years. Hunting wasn’t even in my mindset with everything going on. Got the call on the 29th

“We are at our other place in AZ, could you take a drive out to the ranch and check on it? There are turkeys everywhere also, feel free to give it a shot for a couple days”

Um, fuck yea. Loaded the truck with all the goods plus wife and kid. Headed out early next morning.

This place is amazing. 84 or so acres about an hour from PB. Felt great to be out in nature with the wife and kid without a sole in site or TV on anywhere. No news, nobody telling me shit about this is what’s happening and here’s what’s gonna happen, just birds chirpin’, rabbits and squirrels darting every which way, and turkeys gobbling’.

Day 1: I went and walked around to see what was going on. Saw about 20 turkeys while walking the property, no shot opportunities. I’m no turkey hunter although I have shot two prior to this. Spot and stalk style. Not one to sit around.

Day 2: More of the first. Chasing these things around but they made me every time. All I could think was Jesus these things are smart and quick. Not like deer where you can sneak in to under 300 yards and you’re golden. So decided to build a blind. Found some old chicken wire in the bone yard and used that as a fence and built a little blind around an oak tree with good cover. Couple of the logs we stacked for a seat and some tree trimming for shooting lanes. Pretty much a 360* view except for one little corner. But they won’t come up that way...

Day 3: In the blind by 6am. Calling here and there and hearing gobbles. Wife text me a picture of a Tom checking himself out in the reflection of my truck... Ok well at least they are out moving around. Make some more calls and they start responding. I shut up and just keep my eyes in the binos that direction. Finally pick a couple up about 500 yards away, but moving my direction. A few hens move into a little pasture, you know, in that area they wouldnt come in from. Damnit. I just sit still and call a couple more times. He moves in behind the hens and is dancing all over the place. At about 300 yards they decide to move up a little knoll behind some sage brush.

At this point, I’ve Been in the blind about 2 hours. I grew impatient and decided to see if I could stalk them. I dropped down the the road behind me and walked a fence line until I figured I was about adjacent with them. Crawled under the fence and poked my head up above a little dirt mound and there are two hens about 6 yards in front of me. Fuck, busted. Or so I thought... belly crawled a little bit until I was behind some manzanita and peaked over again. One hen had her head back down and the other did the same a couple seconds later. To my right I pick up some red through the bush. Focus a bit and it was him. He took a couple steps out and was in full strut about 30 yards in front of me. I laid back down, shook the nerves and took the safety off. Stand up, he sticks his head up and I let one go.

He jumps, does a barrel roll and takes of running down the hill. At this point I’m freaking out trying to play it all back. “Did I wing him, did I just take some feather off him” all the birds go behind a stack of wood under a pine tree, I walk behind the stack so they don’t see me. They take off for the field in front and I see the younger toms and Jakes turn around and go back to the tree. They did this two times so I figured the bird was piled up there. Walked down and there he was. Biggest turkey to date for me (being my third, will be hard to top).

A rush and exciting times. From watching him strut around to the final seconds, changed my view of turkey hunting. Really fun and looking forward to my next outing. Definitely some things I need to work on and research. Still isnt deer hunting but edging in close.

Got to take the wife and kid out to shoot the .22 and did a lot of hiking. Didn’t want to leave, and I think I’m closer to talking her into buying something out there. Beautiful country and very peaceful. Looking forward to splitting more wood out there this year!
Sorry for the story. Figured everyone has some extra time right now. View attachment 1128986View attachment 1128987View attachment 1128988View attachment 1128989View attachment 1128990View attachment 1128991View attachment 1128994View attachment 1128995

Great write up! I needed that this morning!

skinny jimmy

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 21, 2007
san diego
Name
jimmy
Boat
21.5 Triump
That's a killer three days. Thanks for the ride along.
Had my blood pumping with your narrative.
Congratulations!