Turkey day trip ideas

mattsfishn

Nov 27, 2005
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
Someday
Actually, I'm looking for ideas to fish on the Saturday after turkey day!
My old man will be in town and I wanna get him out fishing. Any ideas are appreciated, I'm not going to do the party boat thing. I checked with seasonssportfishing and they're not fishing that weekend.
I'm running out of time, any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
What kind of fishing are you looking to do?

Upvote 0

fishpye

Feb 22, 2004
Chula Vista Resident
Visit site
Name
John E. Pye
Boat
" The Menu" 24' CustomSkipjack Volvo Diesel
Sign up and fish the Halibut Classic. Saturday after Thanksgiving. Fun,Freindly Tournament
See details at halibutclassic.com or the thread on this site.

Reactions: mattsfishn
Upvote 0

mattsfishn

Nov 27, 2005
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
Someday
So, I missed stating some important facts.
1. I'm looking to charter a boat for a 3/4 day type trip....5-5 or at least 8 hours.
2. We do not have passports.
3. I'm looking to fish something other than the bay. Yellowtail being the ideal target. I know conditions and no passport probably means rockfish.

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Try calling Capt. Clowers at 1800 FISH
Tell him Rich from Southwestern Sportfishing sent you

Upvote 0

titos334

VIP Elite Member
Aug 19, 2012
Hell
Name
Kevin
Boat
Rainbow Surprise
I'd hit up Pacific Mistress in Dana, definitely won't need a passport and he's real good about getting late and offseason yellows.

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Rent kayaks and do La Jolla?

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    I usually pick whats biting that week (or day). The weather has been changing so a week ago yellow fin tuna was an option close. Who knows by Nov 25 whats biting.
    Historically, the options can be there for yellow tail and / or blue fin also other species.

I would pick a boat, and day of fish whats biting. Your fishing with your dad, enjoy the day on the water with him. Catching is secondary (not really but). While your dad is in great shape your making memories. Most of my time with my dad involved being on or near the water. He's been gone over 10 years now but the memories for me are as if it was yesterday.

Hope you catch fish! Enjoy the day!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

mattsfishn

Nov 27, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    Someday
    I usually pick whats biting that week (or day). The weather has been changing so a week ago yellow fin tuna was an option close. Who knows by Nov 25 whats biting.
    Historically, the options can be there for yellow tail and / or blue fin also other species.

I would pick a boat and day of, fish whats biting. Your fishing with your dad, enjoy the day on the water with him. Catching is secondary. While your dad is in great shape your making memories also. Most of my time with my dad involved being on or near the water. He's been gone over 10 years now but the memories for me are as if it was yesterday.

Hope you catch fish! Enjoy the day!

Thanks for the reply Doug. That's sound advice. He's the reason I fish, and yet we've never shared a rail in the ocean. So That day, no matter, will be phenomenal, and if we actually catch fish that'll be the icing on the cake.

Reactions: Reel hip
    Upvote 0