I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Where to start.

Oh right... that perfect forecast offshore that had 3 knots of wind till 10 AM and then 8 knots for the rest of the day. Litterally the dream forecast for fishing the kite 100 miles offshore. We are defiantly going.

So we left Dana Point on Monday with Jeff from the Bait Barge, Peter and a newby Mike. Easy ride out to the Tanner, beautiful day! We find some medium grade stuff rigth away but it wasn't what we were looking for. The numbers we had planned to start at were another 10 miles outside so we ran to that zone and boxed. We didn't see a blip the entire time so I made the call to work back inside towards where we saw the smaller grade.

So glad we did. We got back in that general zone around noon and started to meter some wolf packs. We slid the first bait out, I see a shiner around the bait and then the huge explosion we all know and love.

Meg (aka @peterc) wasn't looking (to be fair I asked if it was on the meter as I was up top). I scream to wind... he stands and stares blankly ... finally he winds the rod loads up, we are on and then we pull the hooks. Shoot. Hate to miss chances and that one should be dead.

We keep moving and we find one of the best screen fillers I've seen, this one stuck to the boat.

Meter Mark.jpg

First flyer out, we are insto bit... missed it. Bounce it ... Bit again.. Missed it. This went on for 4 baits and 8 bites. They were eating it within a few feet of the boat everytime bust just one of those days. Sounded like a lot of guys were gettnig bites and not getting tight.

On the 8th bite we got tight and we let Mike pull on his first Bluefin. Not a moster but over 100 for your first bluefin not bad.

Marks first bluefin.jpg

We lost the school and worked our way back up, got back on a breezer... Bait goes out, huge blow out but didn't stick again. They vaporized for the next couple of hours. At 3 we started to mark single fish and the occasional wolf pack. We set up on a single and got a huge blowout, Peter wound tight and we pulled it ... again. I don't even know how many misses we have at this point. I tell everyone one more mark and then we have to run. We run over a single fish, I turn drop the flyer, the single turns into a wad and we are Tight.

For everyone that gets bait from Jeff ... Let me tell Jeff is a bad man. He killed this fish faster than I've seen anyone kill this grade of fish. Less than 10 minutes and it was dead in the boat.

Brett and Jeff.jpg

All the fish are put away, we get to run in at 4:30, be back around 7:30, just a perfect day! We get our 2 (we go home 90% of the time when we have 2) that's all we want.

Till... We started to hear some people on the radio talking about massive squals and lightninght around the gap and the west end of cat. No big deal.. we'll figure it out. We get to Clemente and phone starts blowing up... They are closing Dana Point Harbor due to the oil spill... SHIT.

I have to get home for work and the kids tomorrow and where am I taking the boat???? We can now see horendous lightning and squals all over Clemente and Catalina. We called the Dana Point Harbor Master and begged for a half hour. He said it was a private company lowering the boom and there was nothing they could do. First thought was maybe Avalon but the lightning was horrendous and I need to be home for tomorrow morning so I nixed that plan... The guys wanted to anchor out front of Doho and swim in... Yeah that was their plan LOL.

Great what do we do with the boat and how are we getting to the beach? You are going to swim through an oil slick and lightning ... they were all still pushing for that plan (apparently I can go F myself).

I decide to try Oceanside Harbor. The dispatcher gets me the Harbor Master and by some grace of god he thinks there is one slip left, he gives me the slip number and says good luck.

We get within 20 miles of the coast and it's a full on shit show. Lightning hitting the water from SD to HB. Not hitting the land, not occasional strikes we are watching the lightining strikes hit the water with no more than 30 seconds between strikes and it doesn't stop. I'm driving around squalls on the radar. We get close to Oceanside and have to stop about 8 miles out it's so bad right in front of the harbor.

This video doesn't nearly do what we were seeing justice but it gives you some idea. Imagine that but it's all straight bolts hitting the water.

Driving Through Lightning 10.5.21

I look at the radar I see a tiny gap in cells and I PIN IT (PS this is also my first time going into Oceaside).

You can see the little gap we slid through on the radar below.

Radar.jpg

We slide through the Jetty and right when we get through it starts blowing 30 south as the next line hits the harbor ... we get in just in time.

We managed to find the dock and after a few tries and getting blown off we got tied up exhasuted but stoked we got the boat somewhere safe.

Been a long while since I've had an adventure on the boat. We are so blessed with the best weather in the world and open harbors that are all an easy in and out, I had forgotten the other side of the coin.

Glad we got in OK and hoping they open Dana soon so I can get the boat back up there. At the end of the day it's awesome we got another person their first bluefin, we got Jeff out and we made it back OK. One we'll remember for a while.

Welcome Aboard.jpg

Last edited:

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Tuna LOVE SLOPPY WEATHER...PERIOD. Humans hate it...lol. The ability to rapidly "oxygenate" in the upper 20 feet of the water column... during sloppy days is really benificial for the tunas ability to "reenergize" quickly while aggressively &feeding on bait.

It also effects their ability to be as finicky... as the "churning" surface distorts their usually accurate vision. This is a MAJOR advantage for regular bait anglers........ and a "field day" for those who can learned to fly the kite in higher wind speeds. Just "bleed off" the excessive wind to the lee side of the kite. With Proper angles and techniques ...I have had success in winds of up to 30+ MPH. Just practice brothers.

GREAT POST BROTHER! Thanks for the picts and write up. Good for you! Be safe out there.

Upvote 0

Al B.Fishing

Aug 17, 2012
    hb ca usa
    Name
    gary
    Boat
    n/a
    Tuna LOVE SLOPPY WEATHER...PERIOD. Humans hate it...lol. The ability to rapidly "oxygenate" in the upper 20 feet of the water column... during sloppy days is really benificial for the tunas ability to "reenergize" quickly while aggressively &feeding on bait.

It also effects their ability to be as finicky... as the "churning" surface distorts their usually accurate vision. This is a MAJOR advantage for regular bait anglers........ and a "field day" for those who can learned to fly the kite in higher wind speeds. Just "bleed off" the excessive wind to the lee side of the kite. With Proper angles and techniques ...I have had success in winds of up to 30+ MPH. Just practice brothers.

GREAT POST BROTHER! Thanks for the picts and write up. Good for you! Be safe out

Reactions: Northeastfshman
    Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
    Aug 19, 2007
    Santa Monica
    Name
    Jonathan
    Boat
    31' Cabo Express
    I had a crazy weather trip like that maybe 20 ish years ago with my dad running back from Clemente on our old 1969 26 foot Pacemaker. Flat calm perfect day until it wasn't. I think that was the first time I saw my dad legitimately scared....lol

Glad you made it back safe buddy - good call not to go with the other suggested plan of making the beach swim........lol

Upvote 0

blubby07

Aug 24, 2009
    Oceanside Ca
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    2320 Parker
    Wow what a crazy story I live hear in oceanside and im hearing we may be next to close mainly speculation but I could see it happening.
    You might want to get that boat to San Diego if you wanna fish anytime soon.
    Awesome story, lightning hit over 4k times that night I woulda hated being in that stuff!!!

Northeastfshman
    Northeastfshman
    Now that I'm home and the boat is tied up... I have to say seeing that for 2 hours from the ocean was truly one of the most awe inspiring things I've seen.

I've seen hurricane's, squalls, Notheasters. I've never seen a lightning show like that.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
  • Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    A great read! I loved the lightning show......But I was on the beach.
    What a trip you had putting a newbie on a 100 pounder. I did that a few years back and his first tackle purchased was a rod belt....crazy. Did you run the boat up or bring a trailer down?

Northeastfshman
    Northeastfshman
    We try to bring one person every trip who hasn't had a chance to catch one. Nothing better than getting someone on their first big bluefin.
    Upvote 0

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
    Southern California
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    26'
    How in the F'ing WORLD do they just close harbors, with no notice, when people are offshore in a lightning storm???

The Coast Guard is supposed to be tasked with keeping people safe for crissakes. I'd be on 16 telling those momo's to order the damn "private company" to open it or open it themselves. Or tow me to the nearest safe harbor. Our taxes buy their boats, right?

That is just stupid -- and shows good and well how much of a rat's ass the gov cares about the people. Incompetence.

Last edited:
    Northeastfshman
    Northeastfshman
    This.... I have some serious issues with how this is being handled. I'm finding out they did let people into the harbor. I called the Coast Guard and the Harbor Patrol and I'm finding out both of them lied to us about how the harbor was closed. I'm livid about it.
    Upvote 0
    Rabid Fish
    Rabid Fish
    I was livid reading your report, I wasn't even there. To find out you could have found safe harbor and were lied to, at risk of your own life and limb as well as your vessel, is unconscionable.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
    May 18, 2013
    Cali
    Name
    Dan Monster
    Boat
    Predatormonster
    Nice ! We were there as well . Stayed on anchor Monday night in the lighting storm . Invigorating for sure ! We shot 3 on the spears up to 142 #

Northeastfshman
    Northeastfshman
    Good stuff, yeah they were up really good on the slack, they vaprorized on the back side but showed really good again coming into the evening slack.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0