Offshore Tuna with a troller attached, going north

walter heim

Feb 20, 2021
San Diego
Name
walter heim
Boat
Bayrunner
Problem is the rod holder is bolted/screwed to sheet metal. I have an aluminum boat also. You need a thick aluminum (1/4") plate about 12" or more long, fore to aft. Cut a hole for the rod holder and bolt it to the plate. Better to locate the rod holder farther aft on the plate. Then bolt the plate to the sheet metal. I also used toggle bolts on the up side. Seal it to the sheet metal. Use 5052 or 6000 series aluminum. 2000 series will corrode. If you have access to the bottom of the rod holder, mount a block or cable on the back side to prevent it from rotating. I did not have access on my boat

Reactions: tunakillerjoe1
tunakillerjoe1
tunakillerjoe1
I do not think it was even sheet metal! Pure plywood! No access to underside-thanks!
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
I was on a newish Key West 239 today. The rod holders were screwed to the gunnels with wood screws. At least Robalo used 1/4-20 screws with nylock nuts and washers on my sled.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2004
Jamul
Name
used to fish
Boat
17 Aquasport
The big problem here is that the hole is way oversized and sloppy. If that was a tight fit and at the proper angle, the "pinching" pressure wouldn't have allowed it to move at all and simple screws would work fine. Now that the hole is way over sized you will need very good hardware unless like mentioned you put a plate under it and drill the correct size with the proper angle.

Reactions: jayyyy and Dun
Upvote 0

Otto

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
Fished the N. 9 today, north wind early, no real swell. Was trolling a blue Xrap 40' and a cedar plug headed south, got SLAMMED and looked back, the rod had got hit so hard, it pulled the rod holder out screws and all! Keep an eye out for a BIG tuna with a TLD30 and a black broomstick troller as bling. Could not believe how hard it hit, thought a boat hit me! Thought I had the drag loose enough..Guess not! Not much else happening on the 9, 2 dry patties, wind came up big. Wet ride home.

View attachment 1303182

View attachment 1303190
Those TLD reels are rated for 16 pounds at first strike. If you have more drag set and a big fish takes your line, the reel warps and jams. I recommend an avet exw30 instead.

Reactions: tunakillerjoe1
tunakillerjoe1
tunakillerjoe1
I thought I had it set pretty loose, paid out to 40' and back a bit, tightened it down to stop it from paying line out. I certainly did not want or expect to load the reel or rod holder up! New, sharp XRap...thanks!
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Zika

Chum-Master
Aug 17, 2006
North County
Name
Robert
Boat
21 Bayliner Trophy (Cheap-BassTurd)
Those TLD reels are rated for 16 pounds at first strike. If you have more drag set and a big fish takes your line, the reel warps and jams. I recommend an avet exw30 instead.
Avets are crap compared to the Shimano Talicas !!

• Wow
Reactions: watersdeep
Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    Lots of teachable info there. Is it fair to say that the drag should be set just a click above water resistance when trolling? Just so the line stays on the reel, but barely?
    Or get your shit ripped right out the boat. Always leash up as well, shit is expensive, when its gone its gone.

Upvote 0

ANGLING ALLEN

Almost A Member
  • Apr 14, 2006
    Fullerton
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    finatic
    First time I've seen that. I'm thinking you hooked a nuclear submarine, thought I saw something hanging from a sub in the dry dock. Hmmm...
    Thanks for the post, sorry about the lost troller. Good posting.

tunakillerjoe1
    tunakillerjoe1
    First time for me too! Small boat, going to rethink the whole thing and beef it up!
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0