tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Fished the N. 9 today, north wind early, no real swell. Was trolling a blue Xrap 40' and a cedar plug headed south, got SLAMMED and looked back, the rod had got hit so hard, it pulled the rod holder out screws and all! Keep an eye out for a BIG tuna with a TLD30 and a black broomstick troller as bling. Could not believe how hard it hit, thought a boat hit me! Thought I had the drag loose enough..Guess not! Not much else happening on the 9, 2 dry patties, wind came up big. Wet ride home.

20210727_143319.jpg

20210727_143328.jpg

Ahkhuang

• Mar 11, 2021
    Los Angeles, California
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Albert Huang
    Boat
    1975 Hatteras 36C
    Bought the boat with this setup, never considered it to be a weak link! Will plate it, or weld new ones!
    You can add a stainless eye strap for a tether too.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

splashy77

Almost A Member
    Apr 3, 2007
    Lane Vicky
    Name
    Daniel
    Boat
    Hasbro's Timon and Pumba pool floatie
    Mako? They love the X rap. Sorry about your trolling rig. Not much you can do when shoddy work is done on installs. Someone half-assed something in that whippersnapper.

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
    Upvote 0

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    Mako? They love the X rap. Sorry about your trolling rig. Not much you can do when shoddy work is done on installs. Someone half-assed something in that whippersnapper.
    Possibly reeled up an 8'-9' mako yesterday..... never again will I cast on a shark Ffffffffuuuuuuck that. Got him to the boat after a nut busting, hernuating, back breaking fight....and properly released him. Surprisingly my 60lb held up. For that 200+Lb fish. All in the 9🤦‍♂️ Why do people fish for these beasts......

Upvote 0

cptJB

Jun 12, 2008
    San Diego/CA/USA
    Name
    Jesse
    Boat
    Boston Whaler Outrage 18
    Fished the N. 9 today, north wind early, no real swell. Was trolling a blue Xrap 40' and a cedar plug headed south, got SLAMMED and looked back, the rod had got hit so hard, it pulled the rod holder out screws and all! Keep an eye out for a BIG tuna with a TLD30 and a black broomstick troller as bling. Could not believe how hard it hit, thought a boat hit me! Thought I had the drag loose enough..Guess not! Not much else happening on the 9, 2 dry patties, wind came up big. Wet ride home.

View attachment 1303182

View attachment 1303190

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    what jig did it it the blue Xrap 40?

Upvote 0
    Aug 14, 2018
    New Jersey
    Name
    Wojtek Wilczak
    Boat
    Friends
    Lots of teachable info there. Is it fair to say that the drag should be set just a click above water resistance when trolling? Just so the line stays on the reel, but barely?

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    It hit the blue XRap, the tension on the drag was set so it paid out slightly when trolling, and tightened down a touch to stop the payout. I had cable reel keepers, but did not attach it to this one. They were set up for a lake or other type of fishing, the angle of the holder is towards the middle, and a "T" type piece fits into the gimble, to change it to direct the rod to the outside. This probably gave extra leverage to pop it. It was really a SLAM! Buying a new setup now..

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Props to you for sharing this epic fail . I would have told absolutely no one .
    I figure this site helps to save someone else some pain. Shi% happens, and everyone has some bit of experience to pass on, that may help. No one gains from hiding it! The pic is below is a Williamson 9/0 hook straightened out!View attachment 1303435200# split rings straightened out! Going to 300# next! View attachment 1303434

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    Lots of teachable info there. Is it fair to say that the drag should be set just a click above water resistance when trolling? Just so the line stays on the reel, but barely?
    Depends on what your doing. For slow trolling live baits your description of the drag is perfect. Offshore trolling for big fish with big lures I put quite a bit of drag pressure on it. I want the drag to bury that hook into the fish while I am waking up enough the push the throttle forward to really set it good.

Upvote 0