TUNA - What Do You Change When You Are Struggling?

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by yelloweye, Aug 19, 2013.

1. yelloweye

yelloweye Member

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    24' Skagit Orca
    Looking for some help on the learning curve here. My boat is too small to fish tuna very often, so I don't get many opportunities to improve. We struggled mightily on Saturday trying to get some fish on the troll. Other boats were hooking up around us. I'm wondering what do folks change to turn the fish when you aren't getting hit and what generally makes the biggest difference?. We changed colors, changed distance behind the boat, changed speed, changed location, and changed to completely different lures (e.g. clones to swimbaits). Are there additional issues that come with running a small boat, e.g. a limited number of rods in the spread? FWIW, we were able to get one bait stop going, but couldn't sustain it after we had two fish on. Pandemonium was the word. We have a lot work to get a routine down for the 2-person bait stop.

2. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    Sounds like you did everything logical to get bit on the troll. Sometimes shutting down and drifting live baits while chumming a few when you KNOW you are in the zone works.

Sometimes it's not logical it's luck. That's when I try voodoo. Chants, offerings of food, beer, $ and whatever else I can think of, to the fish Gods...Fish dances.....

It's sooooooo frustrating watching others get stopped around you and you can't buy a bite.....

3. TunaHore

TunaHore World Champion Boat Ho

Name:
    Tuck
    Boat:
    Carolina Dory
    Try eating a sandwich, taking a piss, transferring tuna from slurry to ice, re-tying or re-rerigging gear. Seems like distracting yourself from fishing makes 'em strike.

Varying your troll, not just over all speed, but rev down, rev up during the troll.

If the troll isn't working, as someone else suggested pitch bait. If there are jumpers - cast at 'em with swim baits or iron.

Did you try switching to barbie rods and 6# test

4. Tues

Tues Not my job...

Name:
    Penis
    Spark-a-bite.

5. marlyn

marlyn I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    blow the fishwhistle...

6. dragonballs

dragonballs I'm off probation

Name:
    Vance
    Boat:
    40' ocean sport fisher
    move..... radio fish or like others have said do some busy work on the boat. setting a freshly opened beer on the bait tank always will spark a bite and result in one knocked over beer

7. Mike Myers

Mike Myers Member

Name:
    Mike Myers
    Boat:
    16' Whaler
    Slow troll live, and I have yet to try it, but a kite is in my near future.

8. tambs

tambs Yo BD! Color Screens-Invented Mid '50s. Jus sayin.

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    "Bottom Line" - 25' Carolina Classic SF

... and drunk bait.

Try it. Tuna love juiced chovies. Plus, you don't have to worry about stunning them.

9. Fish Slapper

Fish Slapper I would love to be your Captain for a day!

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    30 Ft "Pacific Addiction". 26.5 ft Alumaweld Columbia "Turbos Palace"
    I never figured you for a "radio fisher"..........

10. Stryker20

Stryker20 Subtle as a Hand Grenade

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Still searching
    This past weekend, we got into an area that held the most skittish fish I've ever seen.

Get within 50-60yds of jumping fish and they would sound.

We would set up upswell, shut the boat down and set out baits and drift to them for nothing.

We would have baits out, send jigs down and come up blank. First trip ever skunked on vertical jigs AND live bait.

The long rod with irons was the the ticket. We had to reach out and get em, cause they damn sure didn't want anything to do with the boat.

Slow trolled 5" big hammer swimbaits was the only troll gear they would hit, and those were pretty sparse too. We threw tons of stuff at em all day, and swimbaits & irons was all they would hit.

3 & 4oz megabaits bagged 5 or 6 fish
    Salas Christy 2's in scrambled egg got 5 or 6
    Tady 9's in red/chrome got 3 or 4
    Tady BA in red/chrome got 2
    Tady AA in mint/white got 1
    Salas 7X in Mex-flag got 1
    Big Hammer Pacific Chovy bagged about 5 on the troll.

Tough days are why you need to have a wide variety of stuff available to go through and find what works.

11. fishchasr

fishchasr Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    2052 Trophy "Reelaxation"
    Sounds exactly like TUNA Fishing to me. Keep doing what you're doing. Some day's peanuts, some day's shells.

12. SoCal Redneck

SoCal Redneck We don't have to drink the whole bottle!

Name:
    Daren
    Boat:
    Bartender/fish cleaner for the Mojo
    First - don't listen to people in CA, they don't have Albacore! :finger:

2nd - FIREBALL - gets em to bite almost every time. Although Saturday it took a few rounds of the nectar to get em going.

It was one of the slowest mornings I've experianced out there. We varied the speed a little bit and made some crazy Ivan turns, but when they seemed skittish and not too willing to bite we'll generally set the gear farther back and even switch to lighter rigged gear. Sometimes it's a waiting game, the fish were there as seen on the sounder, just had lock jaw. We scratched singles on the troll with 0 -1 fish on bait all morning until 1230ish then same area was WFO on bait stop. After one bait stop that turned out 5-6 fish then got silent, we got back on the troll and first rod being deployed got slammed while I was deploying it...We hadn't gone 50-60 yards WTF! Sounds like you were doing what other tuna fanatics would have done, the fish that day just didnt want to eat yet, but generally sending down irons and live bait can get them going when they are reluctant to surface. A general observation I've made when it's slow, we usually get a strike while a certain somebody from Texas is taking a leak over the side - probably could be the smaller worm that brings them up! :rofl:

13. dragonballs

dragonballs I'm off probation

Name:
    Vance
    Boat:
    40' ocean sport fisher
    always reach out to a brother... I believe it happened alot this year out of lapushLOL

14. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    Vacancy
    The same stuff u did

15. Easytosee

Easytosee Member

Name:
    Chad Burgess
    Boat:
    25ft Bad Ass Mother Fucker- Market Price
    We have been having a heck of a time on the troll the last couple weeks, and this weekend was no different. Saturday we saw more jumpers, bait, and birds than I have ever seen... but the damn things had lock jaw. We were in green water in grays canyon. We would pick up a fish here and there on the troll... never could convert to bait until we finally got into the blue water. We tried to slide in on the jumpers with bait several times but never got it to work, like stryker said they were very skiddish and would go down as soon as we got close even with motors off. I'm still learning this tuna thing and the last several trips have had me scratching my head...

16. Elkfins

Elkfins Ungrateful Prick

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    "Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
    Get away from all the other boats. There were a shit ton of boats out there on Saturday. I have to believe lots of boat traffic dragging all kinds of shit through the water makes Albacore skittish just like it can shut a salmon bite down.

17. wa_docholliday

wa_docholliday doc holliday

Name:
    Ryan Holliday
    Boat:
    doc holliday
    Honestly don't ever think about this weekend or try to learn from it. It was the worst trip of my life. Normally a school will span five miles Saturday was the perfect tuna day. Saw fish as soon as we pulled up and they vanishediI never could get bait going or find them trolling. The other thing if you noticed Saturday am 35 miles out water was 60 degrees..... by run in the 350 foot depth line was 61 degrees with green water....the jet stream moved 20 miles which is insanity. I certainly thought I was pretty good at tuna but came back in very bad mood

18. Salmonmoocher

Salmonmoocher "Holding My Own Rod"

Name:
    Billy Bob
    Boat:
    27' Grady White "Main Break Too", 17' Seaswirl CC "Salmonmoocher"
    We like ALL the other 40 Boats that skidded into the early jumpers were disappointed...at first on Saturday. Picked Our spread up and ran another 17 miles into uncharted waters and commenced to plugging things up with our 8 fish(for All the counters out there) By the time we pulled out we had been joined by 26 other boats that continued to CRASH every Bait Stop we got going. Reminded me of a Pt Defiance Derby Day on the first Saturday in August. Exactly like being a Moocher get Trolled over by all the Downriggers! :finger:

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  19. SoCal Redneck

SoCal Redneck We don't have to drink the whole bottle!

Name:
    Daren
    Boat:
    Bartender/fish cleaner for the Mojo
    Everytime is different! Albacore are like women,.....

20. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    my buddy,s put,s a torpedo sinker on in front of the feather to get them down try white clone with gold glitter.good luck next time, or small jap head,s