Offshore Tuna trip aboard the pride. (6/27)

vhrw

Jun 10, 2012
Vista
Name
Ryan
Boat
CHA-CHING
Hello everyone, haven’t been on bdoutdoors in a while but I thought I’d share some knowledge on a charter trip I did on Sunday. So to start off, I prepared for the trip. I first did this, I called the landing, asked them what the boat was are going for, what rod and reel setups should I have?, and what types of tackle should I have. That’s where I started. Then had my rod and reels picked out.
80E54718-FBFE-475A-A8F1-6ABF96F531AC.jpeg

I looked over my reels and said, how old is the monofilament and Fluo on these reels? If you can’t remember when you replaced them, change them. Went to my local tackle shop (LP fishing supply) and had them spool me up one of my reels with 60lb izorline, the other 80lb izorline. I also got all my tackle needs there as well. The same day I went down the street to kens custom reels too set my drag on my reels. This is crucial, this will do two things. 1) ensures you have good drag settings for the type of line your using. 2) this also checks on the condition of your reel. Later that night I checked the condition of my rods, making sure the guides had no cracks, sharp edges, or missing guides. One of my rods had roller guides and noticed they were getting a bit seized up, simple unscrewing the hardware and adding some penn grease did the trick. Had everything loaded for the next day and was set. Remember preparation is KEY!!

Got on the boat, got set in, left the dock, and were in our way. About 1 hour in the trip I waited for everyone on the boat to finish up setting there rod and reels. Got to work putting the setups together (I separate my rod and reels because of apartment living) took my time in making sure all my knots were forming good (this is where asking the deckhands help if you got questions and are looking for there full attention). My strongest knot is the one you tie the most often, which is the uni knot. I even use the uni-uni connection on my Fluor connections.

So we find a school of fish and start fishing, one guy gets one, then another, both of them land there’s and head to another spot. We make our stop and seems like almost everyone is on a bite (this bite almost went wide open) so no bites on my setup. Tried several different baits and lures, nothing. I go up to the deckhand and say “ I got this setup, my line is 40lb and got this size hook, what am I doing wrong that’s not getting bit like these guys?” He points me to a bigger sardine and says for me to pin the bait on the butt side. So I followed his direction and got one on the line. Fought him for a few minutes and got chewed off. I cut the leader off, retie a new piece of fluro, and took my time in my connection knot. I remained focused on my knot as everyone was hooking up. Don’t get distracted in tieing a crappy knot because you want to get back at the rail as fast as possible. Take your time to do it right. Got back to the rail with the same formula and got bit again, let the fish take his runs, and started fighting the fish, took me around the boat several times and I followed my line and communicated with others in my direction I was going. Landed it. Few things that stuck out too me, 1) when fighting these fish, the first 10 seconds will determine if you get this fish and the last 20 seconds of the fight. 2) grabbing the biggest and fastest bait will get your bait takin. 3) let your bait run freely, don’t always allow him to pull line off the spool of your reel. This affects the way he swims.

After catching my first one, I decided to fish light line (using my 25lb setup) got bit on that and had a lot of fun landing that fish. My third fish was me having fun again and tieing a piece of 40lb on my 60lb setup and got bit on that again (this was my biggest fish) but also very comfortable fishing that fish on a bigger setup. Winched him up and was done. After my third, I decided that 3 was enough for me. I respect the natural resources and I know how much I am truly going to eat and have none go to waste. To be honest, I don’t enjoy killing any fish and then having it thrown away or wasting it.
D6556E5E-AAA2-4578-AA9F-CCBF46DCDA93.jpeg

Got home, beyond tired, fillet my fish, used a salt water brine to rinse my fish and bagged them up and gave plenty away for my friends and family.
D9C5092D-6DAE-4B3E-A69E-9716BA19746F.jpeg
19A316CE-E90D-4F76-8C0D-9A14ED421E77.jpeg

1BF647CB-A562-471F-9E87-97D2903A4174.jpeg

3139D78A-AB60-4903-BA8D-5DB0EDC7BA9C.jpeg

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Hello everyone, haven’t been on bdoutdoors in a while but I thought I’d share some knowledge on a charter trip I did on Sunday. So to start off, I prepared for the trip. I first did this, I called the landing, asked them what the boat was are going for, what rod and reel setups should I have?, and what types of tackle should I have. That’s where I started. Then had my rod and reels picked out.
    View attachment 1294712

I looked over my reels and said, how old is the monofilament and Fluo on these reels? If you can’t remember when you replaced them, change them. Went to my local tackle shop (LP fishing supply) and had them spool me up one of my reels with 60lb izorline, the other 80lb izorline. I also got all my tackle needs there as well. The same day I went down the street to kens custom reels too set my drag on my reels. This is crucial, this will do two things. 1) ensures you have good drag settings for the type of line your using. 2) this also checks on the condition of your reel. Later that night I checked the condition of my rods, making sure the guides had no cracks, sharp edges, or missing guides. One of my rods had roller guides and noticed they were getting a bit seized up, simple unscrewing the hardware and adding some penn grease did the trick. Had everything loaded for the next day and was set. Remember preparation is KEY!!

Got on the boat, got set in, left the dock, and were in our way. About 1 hour in the trip I waited for everyone on the boat to finish up setting there rod and reels. Got to work putting the setups together (I separate my rod and reels because of apartment living) took my time in making sure all my knots were forming good (this is where asking the deckhands help if you got questions and are looking for there full attention). My strongest knot is the one you tie the most often, which is the uni knot. I even use the uni-uni connection on my Fluor connections.

So we find a school of fish and start fishing, one guy gets one, then another, both of them land there’s and head to another spot. We make our stop and seems like almost everyone is on a bite (this bite almost went wide open) so no bites on my setup. Tried several different baits and lures, nothing. I go up to the deckhand and say “ I got this setup, my line is 40lb and got this size hook, what am I doing wrong that’s not getting bit like these guys?” He points me to a bigger sardine and says for me to pin the bait on the butt side. So I followed his direction and got one on the line. Fought him for a few minutes and got chewed off. I cut the leader off, retie a new piece of fluro, and took my time in my connection knot. I remained focused on my knot as everyone was hooking up. Don’t get distracted in tieing a crappy knot because you want to get back at the rail as fast as possible. Take your time to do it right. Got back to the rail with the same formula and got bit again, let the fish take his runs, and started fighting the fish, took me around the boat several times and I followed my line and communicated with others in my direction I was going. Landed it. Few things that stuck out too me, 1) when fighting these fish, the first 10 seconds will determine if you get this fish and the last 20 seconds of the fight. 2) grabbing the biggest and fastest bait will get your bait takin. 3) let your bait run freely, don’t always allow him to pull line off the spool of your reel. This affects the way he swims.

After catching my first one, I decided to fish light line (using my 25lb setup) got bit on that and had a lot of fun landing that fish. My third fish was me having fun again and tieing a piece of 40lb on my 60lb setup and got bit on that again (this was my biggest fish) but also very comfortable fishing that fish on a bigger setup. Winched him up and was done. After my third, I decided that 3 was enough for me. I respect the natural resources and I know how much I am truly going to eat and have none go to waste. To be honest, I don’t enjoy killing any fish and then having it thrown away or wasting it.View attachment 1294715

Got home, beyond tired, fillet my fish, used a salt water brine to rinse my fish and bagged them up and gave plenty away for my friends and family.
    View attachment 1294716View attachment 1294717

View attachment 1294713

View attachment 1294714
    Nice pic's, looks like you had some fun. Thank you for sharing!

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 19, 2008
    The Land of Entrapment
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    For a young guy, you’re wise beyond your years. Thanks for some great info, and for showing the resource some love.

Upvote 0