:finger:

MarkFromSea

Piscatologist
Jun 10, 2012
Name
Mark
Boat
"Solo"
That's torture to watch this close to game day! :)

Reactions: Captain Chrome

Alaska4me

Sep 11, 2009
Tacoma, WA
Name
Rob Olson
Boat
16 Lund
I watched one of those events on the AA and it was a fish slaughter for sure, the guys were having a blast. I fish that boat every year and have for past 13 years, going again this Oct on an 8 day trip.
I work at Basspro here in Tacoma, stop in and see me, lets talk tuna.

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
Sep 25, 2008
Renton/ Westport
Name
Cap't Paul
Boat
V-20 Wellcraft w/200HO E-TEC
That will get your blood pumping....FISH ON!!!!!

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
I need them hooks....
That was my first thought... It looks like the bait is a bit larger than what we're used to as well so larger hooks would be natural.

Reactions: oldschool 1

Wintek

Sep 28, 2007
Hermosa Beach, CA
Name
Peter
Boat
N/A
Wow, just wow.
Penn Senators getting the job done!
Gonna have to learn how to pull line off spool as I'm casting a bait. Fascinating.

Hoghunter

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 2, 2006
Woodinville, WA
Name
Jeff
Boat
nonya
Hey Mark. That's a good video and really makes me jealous that I haven't been able to go the last two years. I see Taro and Bobby. They are a great crew for sure. The best in my opinion.

effigy

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
That was my first thought... It looks like the bait is a bit larger than what we're used to as well so larger hooks would be natural.
For the sardine bait, and bouncing fish this way, they are typically using something like an Owner Gorilla, 3/0 to 5/0. It's a very thick wire hook (same as used on 200 lb yellowfin).

Wow, just wow.
Penn Senators getting the job done!
Gonna have to learn how to pull line off spool as I'm casting a bait. Fascinating.
The experienced long range deckhands & skippers have this down pat. You should see them do the same with an Avet 50 SDS; it's a work of art.

Hey Mark. That's a good video and really makes me jealous that I haven't been able to go the last two years. I see Taro and Bobby. They are a great crew for sure. The best in my opinion.
Hay Jeff! It's all your fault that I went on the AA. Speaking of Taro...for others watching the video....he's the one who has that stance....like a batting stance....as soon as the fish hits he is pulling hard...not letting the head turn. That's the key. You can see on one fish where the head went the other way...he buttons down the drag...and the hook pulls.

Last edited:

TunaHore

World Champion Boat Ho
Jun 5, 2012
Island
Name
Tuck
Boat
Carolina Dory
all-fucking-righty

effigy

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
I need them hooks....
Andy, here's an example of the hooks that would be used. From right to left... 4/0 Owner Gorilla, then 3/0 of same. For size comparison, next is #1 then #4 Owner Flyliner. One could use the big hooks if you have some 5 - 6 inch chovies in the tank , and butt hook them.

Baithook1 (2).JPG

oldschool 1

Night Watchman .
Jun 13, 2011
Aberdeen wa
Name
Andy
Boat
Oldschool 2
Well cool, I am already an Owner hook fan.... didn't know about Gorillas.
Good info there... thanks. :beerbang: