offshore6

Where's the tuna?
Aug 20, 2006
Indialantic, Florida
Name
Eric
Boat
Boat Ho
I work in a tackle store in Central Florida. Had a customer come in today who said that he wanted to get his two new Tiagra 130's spooled up so that he could go fish for Bluefin off of Massachusetts. I asked him if he was going to be trolling or chunking or live baiting and he had no idea. I asked who was going to Captain the boat and he said that he was.
Right off, I think that he is in over his head.
However, my job is to spool his reels. I am inclined to put 1000 yards of 200# braid on each and then fill them with 130-150 clear mono. As I have never (yet) fished for big Bluefin, this may be totally inappropriate.
I could help him from experience if he was fishing Gulf of Mexico or Pacific for big yellowfin.
Can some of you guys give me some suggestions?
Thanks!

north coast

Aug 2, 2012
mass.
Name
kent
Boat
north coast
You don't want braid on those reels .
130 or 150 ( some guys use 200)courtland green spot or similar. They sell already packaged top shots. I'd recommend 180 momoi. No lighter than 150.
You splice the mono into the Dacron. I make the splice 20 feet( good luck with this:))
Take a knife and tap the mono with it angled towards the reel to put little"hooks" in the mono where it will be under the Dacron.I whip both ends of the splice with floss. Not everyone does . This is time consuming but it's how it's done right .

Reactions: offshore6

north coast

Aug 2, 2012
mass.
Name
kent
Boat
north coast
You might also look into "wet packing"
The reel.you really have to get the line on there tight.
Some guys used to let almost the whole line out behind the boat,on the way to the spot,on the first trip on a newly spooled reel.
And crank it back on wet. This supposedly packed it on tighter.
Fish have been lost because the line will slip inside itself and seize on a reel not packed tight enough. These fish are not like anything else. An enormous amount of pressure is put on your gear.
These fish will test every single thing you do,every connection,the way the rod was built, the way the reel was spooled,your crimps etc...
If every single thing is not perfect you will lose the fish.
These things are a test of how good you are at putting your gear in order .

WickedGood

Apr 28, 2010
Southern Maine Sure Its COLD, But Its a DAMP COLD!
Name
WickedGood
Boat
Yes
I use 200# Dacron Braid on my 80-130 class rods with 80# class reels on them. Fill them up as much as you can and then make yourself a Nylon 200# test Bimini twist leader 30 or 40 feet long. then your swivel and Florocarbon leader to your hook or lure.