makairaa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Now that the 2020 season is underway, I encourage you to keep contacting your congressional rep for your district to end the commercial YFT seining. If your are in the 26th district, definitely hit up Sen Ben Allen who put forth the legislation to end the commercial drift nets. SB 1017.

I already contacted my local representative. We also need to keep pushing the US/MEX reps that are represented in IATTC to significantly reduce the overall YFT quota.

Unfortunately CCA is still MIA and will not support the recs on this.

Sportfisherman can win on this issue if we speak loudly and present our position clearly, thanks!
CCA is probably MIA on this because they are trying to stop MLPA part 2 which is a much bigger threat right now.

Reactions: jer dog

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Visit site
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
The Mexican BFT Quota was reached by the middle of February above Cedros Island; I’m not so sure the American Quota has been reached yet I haven’t seen anything published

DHSDave

Jan 17, 2007
San Diego
Name
Dave
Boat
Grady-White 208 Adventure
CCA has not taken a position for years unfortunately.

DHSDave

Jan 17, 2007
San Diego
Name
Dave
Boat
The Mexican BFT Quota was reached by the middle of February above Cedros Island; I’m not so sure the American Quota has been reached yet I haven’t seen anything published
American BFT allotment is very low, I want to say maybe 50 MT. It's the YFT which has no quota here and ends up getting wrapped off our beaches every year.

Reactions: Hookup562

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
Long Beach
Name
Brandon
Boat
Grady White Gulfstream 232
American BFT allotment is very low, I want to say maybe 50 MT. It's the YFT which has no quota here and ends up getting wrapped off our beaches every year.
Exactly this. The American seiners aren’t targeting BFT. The ones you are seeing up here are going for YFT and Skipjack

Omarkayak

Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Bills
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
What's story w/ MLPA Round 2? Crestfallen disconsolate anglers wanna know, haha. Hadn't heard about that -- I'll search around. Thanks!

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
What's story w/ MLPA Round 2? Crestfallen disconsolate anglers wanna know, haha. Hadn't heard about that -- I'll search around. Thanks!

Good fishin'!
BDC OK
100825363_2573883032862733_5155966925834027008_o.jpg

CCA has some more info on their facebook page. The main complaints are its vague allowing those in charge to do as they see fit and there are several others. The authors of the bill will not answer questions on the issues with the bill which is never a good sign.

• Sad
Reactions: Omarkayak

DHSDave

Jan 17, 2007
San Diego
Name
Dave
Boat
CCA has some more info on their facebook page. The main complaints are its vague allowing those in charge to do as they see fit and there are several others. The authors of the bill will not answer questions on the issues with the bill which is never a good sign.
No need to hijack the thread but since you brought it up, CCA has failed the recs on YFT seining year after year. The question is why, I thought after all that they were supposed to represent our interests?

Omarkayak

Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Bills
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Thanks mang. 3030 sounds very problematic.

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
No need to hijack the thread but since you brought it up, CCA has failed the recs on YFT seining year after year. The question is why, I thought after all that they were supposed to represent our interests?
Like all organizations they have only so much manpower and money to fight the fight. So I assume they choose what they deem more important. Right now they are more worried about all fisherman being allowed to still go fishing where we are currently allowed to rather than arguing who gets what slice of the yellowfin pie.

Reactions: jer dog

DHSDave

Jan 17, 2007
San Diego
Name
Dave
Boat
Like all organizations they have only so much manpower and money to fight the fight. So I assume they choose what they deem more important. Right now they are more worried about all fisherman being allowed to still go fishing where we are currently allowed to rather than arguing who gets what slice of the yellowfin pie.
CCA has no excuse, like I said they have been silent on the issue for years before any of the MLPA worries. A slice? More like they get the whole damn pie and leave us with crumbs every year. Limited resources and manpower, I get it but this is arguably one of the biggest problems recreational anglers face in SOCAL.

CCA should just be honest and admit that they support commercials over recs when it comes to YFT. An unlimited quota for the commercials destined for fertilizer and cat food.
CCA should be ashamed of themselves, it's a tragedy we have to go around them to address the issue and it's why I cancelled my membership.

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
Long Beach
Name
Brandon
Boat
Not trying to hijack the thread either. But now that it’s being discussed. I would like to see seining quotas of YFT. And I also would like to see harvesting of sea lions.

In Alaska they allow it to native Americans seasonally. Allow our native Americans in California to harvest them if they wish.

We need to revaluate the endangered species list in California. I can’t count how many pelicans and sea lions I see in abundance every time I go fishing. But we have no regulations on Mako Sharks and Thresher Sharks which are at an all time low. But they still give a shit about Sea Lions.

California needs a huge change.

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
west coast
Name
mike
Boat
a fish killing center console
Spent the weekend off San Clemente (non-closed areas) and the 43. Fishing report wise- tonnage of micro bait, marlin all over, mixed size bluefin, however...

The fish seem spooked, scattered and battered.

Maybe something to do with the 3-4 tuna seiners in the area. Which leads me to this post and these questions-

-Who are these guys?
-Where are they from?
-Who regulates them?

Not a fan of watching a school of jumbo bluefin get wrapped up and annihilated right off our coast.
I agree, it sucks watching that. but like others have said, there's still tons of it left for us to catch.

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
Long Beach
Name
Brandon
Boat
I agree, it sucks watching that. but like others have said, there's still tons of it left for us to catch.
Theres tons of it left yes. But what’s the point when they are spooked and not willing to bite? There’s a reason why everyone is Forced to fish the Kite.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Fishing the kite because of seiners, classic
This topic comes up Every year,
And if the complainers,
Did some research,
They would find out,
That a lot of sport boat owners,
Have Interests in some of the Comercial
side too, Go protest.

mike82

Aug 19, 2013
west coast
Name
mike
Boat
a fish killing center console
Theres tons of it left yes. But what’s the point when they are spooked and not willing to bite? There’s a reason why everyone is Forced to fish the Kite.

fishing the kite for YFT??? i think someone said they're wrapping the YFT, not the BFT. well, either way it sucks. but we will get ours. just take plenty of beers until we all come across the fish willing to die.

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
Long Beach
Name
Brandon
Boat
fishing the kite for YFT??? i think someone said they're wrapping the YFT, not the BFT. well, either way it sucks. but we will get ours. just take plenty of beers until we all come across the fish willing to die.
You know just like the next guy we hate spooked Tuna. This is bull shit. I hate these years. What’s next? We gotta fish the kite on a fucking kelp paddy for yellowtail? This is ridiculous

Al B.Fishing

Aug 17, 2012
hb ca usa
Name
gary
Boat
n/a
You know just like the next guy we hate spooked Tuna. This is bull shit. I hate these years. What’s next? We gotta fish the kite on a fucking kelp paddy for yellowtail? This is ridiculous
Big 5 is having a Kelp paddy kite sale right now, designed for 4-8 lb rat Yellowtail. You should buy a few for your trips on the new lo an. Get the blue and white one as it gets bit !!

Last edited: