Tuna rods built by Yo’s tackle

Abusaade

Aug 22, 2010
Compton, Ca
Name
Ahmad
Boat
none
I own few custom built rods by the late Yoshiro Yoshida, otherwise known as Mr. Yo. Who owned Yo’s tackle in Gardena for years .
Can’t really make the type of blanks.
I am hoping someone would be able to tell.
Much appreciated

image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0

freegaff2

Aug 31, 2014
Name
Craig Simcox
Boat
none
Carl Newell's go to bomb stick for wahoo. On his charters, when you got on the boat, you were handed 4 rods and reel. Sabre 270, 670, 660 and 660h. Matched with P series 229, 338, 440 and 447 reels. If something broke, they handed you another. All he asked was that you be honest about what worked, and didn't. He had different drag materials in a lot of the reels, and somehow had it coordinated to be able to check the drags back at the factory, based on your response. You have a great bomb stick there...but fish it with 50# because 40 stretches too much. Still using my 2 after 30+ years :D

Upvote 0

the_tunaman

Jun 28, 2017
Norco
Name
Roger Nelson
Boat
Ranger Z20
Yo's was legendary... Sorry to hear that he passed. I used to go in there from time to time and was familiar with many of his charter trips. Unfortunately I never got on one.

Is Yo's still in business? I was going to swing by a few times recently to check, but most of the time I was driving back and forth from Sav-On and didn't make it there.

Upvote 0

TEAMFISH

JUST ADD WATER
Aug 17, 2006
TORRANCE
Name
DAVE
Boat
SOLD IT
Is Yo's still in business? I was going to swing by a few times recently to check, but most of the time I was driving back and forth from Sav-On and didn't make it there.[/QUOTE]

Yo's has been out of business for quite some time. The location in now "Tackle Junkies" Jeff is the owner, nice little shop

Upvote 0

greatbasin

• Jun 22, 2007
    Idaho
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Knot Yet
    I have 6 custom Yo's rods from 2002 wrapped by Martin right before his motorcycle accident. I believe mine were some of the last to come out of their shop. I used them once and put them on the wall as art. Beautiful old school wraps with great colors...classic So. Cal memorabilia.

Upvote 0

bkaz

Pharmfisher
    Jul 30, 2015
    Novato, CA
    Name
    BKAZ
    Boat
    None
    Got 4 rods wrapped by Yo's with at least one, maybe 3, wrapped by Yo himself, and one definitely wrapped by Martin. It was a great little shop, and I still proudly use the rods on every trip.

Upvote 0

jayyyy

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 7, 2008
    NorCal
    Name
    jay
    Boat
    '04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
    Back in 1986 when short rods were all the rage I had Yo's build me a 655XXH. It's one of my sticks I've rarely used but don't want to let go, he did beautiful work.

Reactions: Noah & Scoot
    Upvote 0