Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat Name
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
Guess noone fishes tuna anymore but figured I'd throw out the little bit of Intel I had.

Ran out of ilwaco Saturday with 2 brand new guys and my ace. Water was beautiful. All charters canceled that I know of. Never saw a single other boat all day. Grabbed a couple of the best looking scoops of anchovies I ever saw. Could have been running 4/0 octopus in these babies.

Crossed a glassy bar. Was startled at 15/45 when tuna were crashing sauries 20 yards off the bow as we were doing 30kts. Shut her down and hit a fish on iron and lost it. Nothing happening after that. Started to troll. Nothing after an hour.

Ran west to about 15/05. Kelp paddies everywhere. Found single fish here and there on the troll. Lost more iron fish.

Died so we Ran to my original chart numbers 05/20. Found some fish there and they were pretty active hitting everything including live bait which for some reason is unusual for this year.

We hooked a decent amount of fish but our execution on landing them was really poor including my own sloppy work. Only landed 6 but almost seemed like good fishing. Fish were around but scattered. But these were really nice upper 20s with a high of 29.5lbs on the scale.

Noticed very mixed water. Ran across a bunch of temp breaks. Temp would fluctuate widely as we ran west.

Ran a 7 rod troll spread 2 xrap 15, 3 cedar plug, 2 Sand eels. X raps got tbe first 2 fish and sand eels got hit quite a few times. No love for the cedar. A few hits/fish on iron and 2 or 3 fish/fish ons for bait

86920.jpeg

86918.jpeg
86919.jpeg
87074.jpeg

Last edited:

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat Name
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Good work! It's always a good feeling when you have the ocean all to yourself and you get into them!

Upvote 0

Salmon King

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat Name
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
Nice work finding fish. So did you run the Bertram down for this trip or are you moored there for a while? Ilwaco is a great spot.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Guess noone fishes tuna anymore but figured I'd throw out the little bit of Intel I had.

Ran out of ilwaco Saturday with 2 brand new guys and my ace. Water was beautiful. All charters canceled that I know of. Never saw a single other boat all day. Grabbed a couple of the best looking scoops of anchovies I ever saw. Could have been running 4/0 octopus in these babies.

Crossed a glassy bar. Was startled at 15/45 when tuna were crashing sauries 20 yards off the bow as we were doing 30kts. Shut her down and hit a fish on iron and lost it. Nothing happening after that. Started to troll. Nothing after an hour.

Ran west to about 15/05. Kelp paddies everywhere. Found single fish here and there on the troll. Lost more iron fish.

Died so we Ran to my original chart numbers 05/20. Found some fish there and they were pretty active hitting everything including live bait which for some reason is unusual for this year.

We hooked a decent amount of fish but our execution on landing them was really poor including my own sloppy work. Only landed 6 but almost seemed like good fishing. Fish were around but scattered. But these were really nice upper 20s with a high of 29.5lbs on the scale.

Noticed very mixed water. Ran across a bunch of temp breaks. Temp would fluctuate widely as we ran west.

Ran a 7 rod troll spread 2 xrap 15, 3 cedar plug, 2 Sand eels. X raps got tbe first 2 fish and sand eels got hit quite a few times. No love for the cedar. A few hits/fish on iron and 2 or 3 fish/fish ons for bait

View attachment 1317973

View attachment 1317974View attachment 1317975View attachment 1317976
    NICE ALBACORE

Upvote 0

Latest posts