JROLAND

"Wings of Lightning"
Jun 22, 2009
Haleiwa, Hawaii
Name
JOE ROLAND
Boat
"007" Pursuit 2870 Offshore
Last few weeks have been hard on the soul. All the great Ahi being caught while the boat was down for scheduled and unscheduled maintenance, busy flight schedule, and a nasty staff infection in the arm. Boat is ready and running like a dream and the flight surgeon gives me the thumbs things are looking up:) Call Calvin and setup an early Sunday trip off Haleiwa, need to be back at 12:00 for a BBQ the better half and I are hosting. Head to the boat late Saturday to top off the fuel and repack the med kit and just when I get finished my partner in crime calls in sick (I know he is bad off as he never passes up the chance to slay some fish). Walk down the dock and talk shop with a few of the guys who brought in some Ahi, deflated I head home. Kathy sees my look when I tell her Calvin is sick and immediately tells me NO FISHING SOLO. Make a few last minute calls and Matt steps up (he's a great pilot and turning into quite the fisherman), game on. Meet at 4 and headout by 430 straight to the II first pass nada. Stayed in the area for awhile, raised one small marlin but could not get him to stick. Drove outside then to the J not much happening so make a decision to start heading in and work the ledge:shithappens:. 3 miles inside the J the starboard rigger goes off and the fish is taking line at a pretty good clip:2gunsfiring_v1:. Get Matt all set and start clearing the lines. Water is a little sloppy and Matt is doing a great job staying upright with the 50 standup setup. I start working the boat to assist in getting some of the line back. Finally get the fish vertical and Matt is working overtime bringing it up. All is good until she sees the boat and makes a mad run (Matt looked devastated at all his hard work gone in an instant). Work her back up again just as Matt is reaching muscle failure. Finally see that magic color, grab the leader get 3 wraps and a gaff shot:D. Get the fish in the cooler cleanup and head in. Awesome day all around nice to get that monkey off my back, Matt getting his first Ahi and biggest fish ever, Calvin's lure that caught the fish (7" purple head), and Ahi for friends and familyMATT-JOE AHI.jpg.BLOODY DECKS11.jpg

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Joe and Matt,
Glad you got the boat and your body all healed up so you could get back out on the water. Glad Matt has the stand up thing figured out; just curious, what belt/harness set up do you have? Also cool Calvin's lure fooled the fish...

Cheers
Pat

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Joe,
Congrats on getting rid of that monkey! Nice looking tuna! Glad to hear that the boat and you are both in better shape!

shadzdad

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 6, 2010
Wahiawa,HI USA
Name
Darren
Boat
building one
Joe , Matt and Calvin, it's nice when things work out that way. Beautiful fish.