Dexter Outdoors

$norkle

May 6, 2008
Corvallis,OR
Name
Bruce
Boat
In my dreams!
Now there will need to be a drone rotation!

I've got pretty mixed feelings watching this. Really innovative technique and obviously pretty effective. Looks like a blast. On the other hand, at what point is our technological ability going to make fishing a diminished sport. When our ability makes the outcome absolutely predictable, have we lost some of the challenge----some of the mystery of fishing?

Upvote 0

Whalebreath

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 6, 2008
Vancouver BC
Name
Carl Z
Boat
Someone posted a while back about taking a drone with him out on one of the LR boats to try something like this but I never saw the report maybe he never got to use it.

Upvote 0

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
There is great drone footage of a white shark at my old favorite surfing location - Pismo Beach. I see this is the next logical step - especially for shore fishing. Pretty cool way to get bait outside the surf!

Upvote 0

cap_lr

May 16, 2007
San Diego
Name
Laurens
Boat
SOLD!
Not saying it would be fun to use this for a week straight down below, but it would be trick during a tough bite at the island or the bank in the right conditions. I don't know if sitting on the kite for a couple of hours waiting to "maybe" get bit is much fun - at least not for me. Flylining is a different story...

The setup looks dead simple - it's basically just kite fishing with a drone instead of the kite.

Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
I've got pretty mixed feelings watching this. Really innovative technique and obviously pretty effective. Looks like a blast. On the other hand, at what point is our technological ability going to make fishing a diminished sport. When our ability makes the outcome absolutely predictable, have we lost some of the challenge----some of the mystery of fishing?

You can find the fish. The bigger question is will they bite. We now have a lot of technology available, with the scanners, down and side. But it doesn't mean we have the correct bait or they are feeding. Then the bigger skill Landing that one. It looks like fun to a point. Agree it's like kite fishing.

Reactions: dragonballs
Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    So what is your opinion on the new age of fishing... Bird radar that goes to the horizon, scanning sonar, satellite info of temperature breaks and biomass and weather. 2 speed reels packed with spectra, using the rail, kite fishing, chunk fishing, bobber fishing, slammers full of bait. 60 inch per crank reels, auto shifting 2 speed reels. Many innovations that put 80 year old guys still catching 200 pound fish and wahoo. It is not like the old man and the sea tale anymore. But it is a lot of fun...

Commercial fishermen use helicopters, bet they will use drones in the future.

Upvote 0

tuna head

Almost A Member
    Aug 13, 2008
    watsonville Ca. usa
    Name
    jason
    Boat
    17ft aquasport cc ksea
    yeah it's like texting and driving we were trolling for salmon and this guy next to us was flying a drone and not watching where he was going close enough we had to yell at him several times to not run in to us, still cool. If we did that seagulls would be all over our baits

Upvote 0

invictus

AVD
    May 26, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    It's already being tried/ironed out by a few in the SD fleet.

Interesting replacement for a kite.

Upvote 0

backlashjack

Scallywag
    May 14, 2007
    Alta Loma, CA
    Name
    Jackson
    Boat
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    Yeah, until you crash it into the drink. Oops, my bad. You should have known better than to listen to me and let me fly it. LOL

Not too sure how it would hold up in a marine environment over a period of time. It would be pretty cool though so you could see your fish blow up over and over again.

Maybe get a little bomb door release so you can send a bait out 100+ yds. and then drop it in, it would equate to one heck of a cast.

Reactions: dragonballs
    Upvote 0

dragonballs

I'm off probation
  • Mar 28, 2008
    Arlington WA
    Name
    Vance
    Boat
    40' ocean sport fisher
    I think that's cool as hell.. technology is going to continue to change the way everything we do. Snorkel are you still riding a horse to work :)

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Yeah, until you crash it into the drink. Oops, my bad. You should have known better than to listen to me and let me fly it. LOL

The new drones are GPS guided to hoover at a given altitude and location. If a signal is lost they even return to sender. You can even slow troll your bait around the boat on anchor on a pattern without taking control. Talk about cheating...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
    Apr 21, 2013
    Dana Point,CA
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Reel Estate
    Its like fishing a kite with eyes on it... you can actually see the fish eat your suspended bait! And yeah I gotta think you better have a smooth (well maintained) release clip or that tuna will drown your drone and those electric motors that propel them are not very waterproof and can be pretty costly on the larger models. Interesting video!

Upvote 0