Almost A Member
Jun 9, 2014
San Diego
Name
Steve
Boat
couch
Guys,

I was going to have some nice BFT sashimi from fish I caught last month. But when I cut the skin, I saw a lot of red blood marks or lesions. 1st picture is the blood lesions seen on the skin. 2nd picture looks like bunch of blood lines in the meat. These are not gaff marks or near gaff location.

I have never seen this before. Is this fish okay to eat? Are these symptoms of parasites or sick fish?

IMG_0651.JPG
IMG_0650.JPG

Upvote 0

kelp_fisher

Almost A Member
Jun 9, 2014
San Diego
Name
Steve
Boat
couch
I am not sure. It was caught on one of the 1st tier long range boat. I think they bled all the fish, but there might be few that fell off the radar.

However, these don't look like regular blood lines to me. Any concerns? Should I just throw that whole fish away?

Upvote 0

C-4 Fishing

Feb 4, 2014
Name
Dave
Boat
Kayak
That looks pretty nasty.
If anything, cook it up for a tuna salad. Wouldn't recommend it raw.

Upvote 0

D-spot

Fishing....... Where You're Not.......
May 21, 2008
Diego
Name
Ray
Boat
23' Neptune CC "Non-Stop"
I agree that looks Nasty. Does not even have the deep color of a BFT. I don't know that I would toss the whole fish but definitely that piece. First picture kinda looks like some sort of a wound maybe.

Upvote 0

kelp_fisher

Almost A Member
Jun 9, 2014
San Diego
Name
Steve
Boat
couch
In the trash. I also found some parasites in the yellowtail I caught near the Coronado islands last month, which is the first time I've seen parasites in yellowtail. I wonder if the warm water has anything to do with it (and may be even this Fukushima induced tuna lesion).

Upvote 0

Otto

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
The right way to freeze your tuna is at about 150 degrees below zero. I only eat these fish raw up until 3 days old.

Reactions: c-goat
Upvote 0

Juny

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 15, 2010
San Diego
Name
Jorge Bee
Boat
15' Gregor
Yeah, I wouldn't eat that.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
The right way to freeze your tuna is at about 150 degrees below zero. I only eat these fish raw up until 3 days old.
I am not sure I follow your logic. Is your concern that after 3 days the parasites will be too big to eat?

Despite having a "rule" that I will never eat raw fish without freezing it first (it seems that freezing for 3 days will kill all of the parsites), I often break that rule in the excitement of the moment, especially if the flesh looks perfect. Plus I put on lots of wasabi optimistically thinking that it would kill whatever parasites might exist. Even so, I did get infected once. Worst stomach ache (and longest lasting) I ever had. I was lucky it was the type of parasite that stays in the gut. Had a friend get hook worms once. Truly nasty.

Upvote 0

Otto

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
I am not sure I follow your logic. Is your concern that after 3 days the parasites will be too big to eat?

Despite having a "rule" that I will never eat raw fish without freezing it first (it seems that freezing for 3 days will kill all of the parsites), I often break that rule in the excitement of the moment, especially if the flesh looks perfect. Plus I put on lots of wasabi optimistically thinking that it would kill whatever parasites might exist. Even so, I did get infected once. Worst stomach ache (and longest lasting) I ever had. I was lucky it was the type of parasite that stays in the gut. Had a friend get hook worms once. Truly nasty.

I just think that after three days I'd rather cook the fish. Once the fish has been in the freezer, I won't eat raw. These sushi places get tuna frozen and keep the tuna at around 150 degrees below zero. That's how you get raw tuna several weeks later. I looked at a tuna loin in a sushi place and it looked like it had little crystals inside the meat. Still red and firm.

Upvote 0

BiggestT

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Fish not bled. Bruised flopping on deck. Meat suffered tuna burn from not being cooled properly after catch. Freezer added more effect to the tuna burn areas.

Trim bad sections, grill and you're good. Take better care of your fish next time.

Upvote 0

kelp_fisher

Almost A Member
Jun 9, 2014
San Diego
Name
Steve
Boat
couch
The fish was taken directly from sportie's RSW home, filleted, vacuum sealed, then put into freezer right away. The freezer I have is chest type and is set to around -10F.

Is there something I should do otherwise to keep better fish? I also have some fish from same trip processed at 5 Star. The meat is also more pinkish in color than deep red.

Upvote 0

kenfishken

Mar 13, 2015
Name
Ken Reddig
Boat
pontoon
Fish not bled. Bruised flopping on deck. Meat suffered tuna burn from not being cooled properly after catch. Freezer added more effect to the tuna burn areas.

Trim bad sections, grill and you're good. Take better care of your fish next time.
Give some (or all) of it to the cat and make a friend for life.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
My dog just saw this pic and threw up LOL
JK.

Reactions: KnotyBuoyz