Tuna (lots) jumping outside Newport Harbor this morning!

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by jazbo, Jan 2, 2019.

1. dbrogdon5

dbrogdon5 Derek

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    I spent 7 hours out there today for nada.. however, I came across a school of BF about 3 miles off Laguna

rick rouland, 5-20 and heatsource like this.
  2. i snag for food

i snag for food Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Vic
    Boat:
    Wellcraft Bay 195
    Good try! Don’t know if u don’t go..you’ll get them next time

5-20 likes this.
  3. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    Saw a very nice photo of a funnel cloud off long beach taken from the catalina express today. Might have something to do with the lack of reports.

5-20 likes this.
  4. ShadowX

ShadowX I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    None
    I went out on my friend's boat today and most of the boats in Long Beach area were a few miles away from the double rigs and outer rig at around 280 feet depth. Water and air temperature was around 60-63 degree range. It was a zoo out there. I counted at least 20 private boats and 3-4 cattle boats in the area.

Lots of bait balls, red crabs, mackerel and birds. Birds were sitting on the surface. Some dived and flew in circles probably for red crabs near the surface. At times, you can see the bait ball around 20 feet under the surface all the way down to the 280 foot level. The bait balls were thick. In some areas, the red crabs (shows up as light green to blue on our fish finder) is from the surface down to 120 feet deep. Its crazy how much bait is out in the ocean. I think we will have another decent year due to all the bait that is still around.

I didn't see any tuna around the area. I doubt there was any tuna hookups. I didn't see any boat with bent poles. Not many boats in the 150 area. It seems like the sand bass action is picking up. Several large keepers and lots of shorts were picked up near the bottom. The sand bass is mainly feeding on the red crabs. You can see the crabs regurgitated when they empty their stomachs. The larger sand bass are feeding on the smaller sand dabs. At around noon, the boats were dispersing. Some left for Avalon Bank and others headed south.

We went back to the Long Beach area and the bite was very slow even though the current was pretty strong around 2PM. The winds got very nasty with the incoming storm and we had to head inside the breakwall after 2PM. We did notice there was a funnel forming in the sky but it never did reach land or the ocean. It would have been neat to see a water spout and film it. It was a dark grey/black funnel that came down from the cloud base about 1/3 of the way from the cloud to the ground.

I think the bluefin tuna just moved south of the rigs and following other bait balls. They may come back again once the weather gets better. The cold weather and storm seems to really shut down the bite for now regardless of the species of fish. The only (invasive) species that is not affected are the white fish and the half-banded rockfish. They are not in season, but they will destroy any bait they see. I am starting to hate those fish. The good news is the sheephead population seems very healthy. My friend caught at least 4-5 good legal-sized fish that was released due to the seasonal closure.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Mack_Davey, bloodfart and 5-20 like this.
  5. FishingFiend

FishingFiend Member

Name:
    FishingFiend
    Boat:
    Robalo Cayman 226
    I was out there yesterday and ran into BFT just outside the oil rigs mid-morning. While following birds, we just didn't meter any density of fish. Just the occasional spot of fish on the sonar. We were stoked to see them, but could not get them to go. There were several boats on this and thought it was generally respectful out there. Not the chaos I was expecting. The density of fish were not where we were, hopefully others got some further south? Heard a couple radio fish landed, but no love in our area that I could see.

Thought it was cool to see the birds and YT up in the shallows and then birds on tuna a couple of miles away. Hard to believe it's January! Hoping it's going to be a great winter!

rick rouland likes this.
  6. Tin Pangas

Tin Pangas Skipper

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    37 Tollycraft

7. Tin Pangas

Tin Pangas Skipper

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    37 Tollycraft
    why do you say whitefish are an invasive species?

8. dingaling

dingaling Newbie

Name:
    colin
    Boat:
    Nope
    yes some boards are, but unfortunately for you most of those boards are outside of California. These ones are for who can swing there dick around he longest.

9. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In My Dreams