Tuna (lots) jumping outside Newport Harbor this morning!

Hardcor

Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore
I know, no pics..... but I swear to (name your deity) that I witnessed tuna (BFT) boiling/jumping this morning from about 10:00 AM until about 12:30 PM literally 200 yards to 1/2 mile off of big corona and down to crystal cove. The fish would pop up and boil/jump with tons of birds working. We would run and gun towards the fish and they would sink out. One time we stopped and shut down and watched in amazement while 20#ish tuna fully cleared the water and worked the bait right by the boat. We trolled, we threw iron, we watched this spectacle repeat 10-20 times with 2-4 schools around us, AMAZING!! Water was clear and blue, maybe 60 degrees. Simply amazing!
Thank you Jason the water temps are 7 degrees higher then normal for this time of year. This picture was taken 1-2-2019

20190103085539 (1).jpg

Reactions: Hippie

MItoCali

Mar 26, 2014
Newport Beach,
Name
Stephen
Boat
Pursuit Express 3000 Bella Mare
i remember catching those things in that same area( MLPA) a few years back.
SUP guys in the same area.
We were on our way back in from the domes 3 years ago and picked up a couple 50 lbers about 3/4 of a mile off crystal cove. It was nuts! Nat Geo shit

MItoCali

Mar 26, 2014
Newport Beach,
Name
Stephen
Boat
Pursuit Express 3000 Bella Mare
I know, no pics..... but I swear to (name your deity) that I witnessed tuna (BFT) boiling/jumping this morning from about 10:00 AM until about 12:30 PM literally 200 yards to 1/2 mile off of big corona and down to crystal cove. The fish would pop up and boil/jump with tons of birds working. We would run and gun towards the fish and they would sink out. One time we stopped and shut down and watched in amazement while 20#ish tuna fully cleared the water and worked the bait right by the boat. We trolled, we threw iron, we watched this spectacle repeat 10-20 times with 2-4 schools around us, AMAZING!! Water was clear and blue, maybe 60 degrees. Simply amazing!
20lb fish, or 200lb fish? also what is big corona?

Reactions: Mikewantstofish

5-20

Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower
Jan 20, 2011
San Diego
Name
5-20
Boat
L2 Fish
Hmmmm. Tuna off my SUP is definitely on my bucket list.

Keep the reports coming in!!! :)

getusum

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 8, 2014
Name
Jeremy Pebley
Boat
222 wellcraft fishermen
Went looking yesterday out of oceanside. Found a few kelps not holding about 8 miles out. Water was 61. I pushed west to 17 miles and seen 62.3 water that cooled just west of there. No tuna seen. Ended up fishing halibut the rest of the day inside for a few shorts.
On my way out and then back in spread from 1 to 5 miles off the bech there was alot of birdlife and dolphin working bait. At times you couldn't tell it was dolphin as they would not break the surface and they are smaller dolphin too. Only after watching from a distance with the binoculars for long periods would I see one. It was unlike the times I had seen them before with a clear view of multiple dolphin going airborne and breaking the surface. At first I thought it was tuna as other people have been describing, up fast, here and there, boils and splashes. I watched similar events chasing tuna many times before. But it wasn't ! I don't really care as I love the hunt and enjoy being on the water either way. The thought of getting 1 of these bluefin that close to home after chasing them offshore for 2 years now keeps me going even when its 42 degrees at 530 in oceanside

Azarkon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
I find it rather amusing that the weather let up right as the season closed. Almost three weeks of straight off shore winds in December into two weeks of calm at the beginning of January...

That said, days with little wind should help keep the water warm, which in combination with the already warmer than usual surface temperature, should produce an early season bite.

Reactions: clevel

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
January the seas seem to always be calm for the most part...

rexor_rn

Mangingisda
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
Amazing for 2-1/2 hours not even a SINGLE BITE! They should catch its by Hand like on the video it will be really AMAZING! :-)

Tunaslam

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
April Fool's comes early? Well they have been reporting Bluefin off Oceanside also, who knows if this is another crazy year on the Bluefin?

Reactions: farhangs

Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
I ain’t falling for the banana in the tailpipe.
Are you trying to keep people off the 150 this weekend or what?
I can already see the crowd at the dunes launch ramp.

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Perfect timing. Groundfish season closed and we're back to BF.

Sounds like you can catch them with a surf rod this time. Excellent, this will really save on cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: shamitch74

5-20

Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower
Jan 20, 2011
San Diego
Name
5-20
Boat
L2 Fish
If anyone wants to go out looking for those fish this week or next, let me know!!! I'm game! Happy to chip in for expenses, etx. etx...

Just holla at me and let me know the when and where!!!

Reactions: tunacraze

clevel

Captain in Learning
Jun 4, 2011
Laguna Niguel
Name
Cabo Jack
Boat
Cobia 261
:fighting0061:For this coming weekend, I am tossed between going after a fresh stocking of trout at Lake Laguna versus stocking of bluefin tuna off Dana Point/Newport Beach! Tough decision ...may be rained out according to weather forecast.