Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
Jason, Jeff, Tom and I snuck out yesterday for a little more #justkeepskipping. We rolled out to the 43 a little late after making bait in the AM. We got to the high spot and it was a circus. Boats everywhere dragging kites, trolling, etc. We metered around for a minute, didn't see much, put our kite up and went hunting.

We had a few friends in the area and kept in touch. We had all seen some little marks but not the stuff we were looking for. We continued to hunt around. Finally about 10 miles away from the high spot I start seeing the right stuff on the meter. I tell the guys we are going to get bit, it's just a matter of time. About 30 min later, the familiar scream "We're Bit!!!!!!"

We all jump into action. I gun the boat to come tight. Jeff is reeling like hell. Jason is clearing the kite, Tom (FNG) is pretty much stunned. We come tight really quick and settle in. Jason is working the cockpit and I'm on the wheel. This fish stayed up on the surface for the first 20 min or so which is usually a good sign its a big one.

We harnessed Jeff up and he got the drill down really quickly despite not having used one before. This fish was a straight up asshole. All of our other big fish have been surprisingly cooperative and this one, not so mucho. He fought the fish for about an hour and twenty minutes and the fish was now on it's side making the big circles on near the surface. We get a couple looks at it and it's clearly over 200. Probably about 250#. End game time. This is where things go bad.

Just as the fish is making it's last couple of circles behind the boat, he shook his head, turned toward the boat and made a run. I pulled away quickly and Jeff was winding like crazy. It was gone. Hook had bent and pulled. I won't mention the brand other than to say I really only trust my Mustads with big fish. 7691ss in 9/0 has accounted for all of our kite fish. I didn't rig this lure and I ASSUMED it was a Mustad. That won't happen again.

Jeff was exhausted and we were all very pissed off. Tackle failures are unacceptable in my book. One of the few things you can control when you fish is preparation. If you don't like your knot, retie. If your leader is too light, change it. If your reel is worn out, rebuild it. It's cliche but it's so true, when preparation meets opportunity you have success.

At any rate. Pissed and dejected we put the stuff back out and get back at it. We have plenty of time before the next tide and we want redemption.

Not five minutes later while crying in my ice cold Modelo, "We're BIT!!!!!". This time Tom is screaming! He didn't even touch the rod before line was ripping. Same drill. Everyone know's their job.

Now Tom is in the harness for his second time ever. Just like the first fish, this one is a pain in the ass as well. Very tough, squirrely fish. Zigging all around the place diving, running, etc. It would never settle in even after an hour in the fight. Finally we kind of figure him out and we can keep him circling but he just won't get tired. He's upright and green as hell but circling none the less. Finally at the 1.5 hr mark he's showing signs of giving up. He starts showing his sides in the top of the circles. I set the fish up broadside, he plays with us for a few passes and Jeff gets him in the head with an 8' gaff. Jason got a shitty skin shot so I ran down with the 3rd gaff, sunk it in the head and ding dong the witch is dead.

I pride myself on being super calm and collected when I'm on a big fish or driving the boat. I gotta say, I haven't experienced anxiety like this in years. Every time that fish would circle of dive for the props my heart would stop. I don't think I could have stomached another heart breaker. In the end the good guys won. Tom got his fish of a lifetime and we put another notch in the gaffs.

We got in late and weighed the fish this morning at the Marlin Club. I called it 225# and it went 228#. Hell yes! Super stoked.

These are the good old days guys, get out there and make some memories.

IMG_0887 (Large).JPG IMG_6136 (Large).JPG IMG_5992 (Large).JPG IMG_0880 (Large).JPG IMG_0885 (Large).JPG IMG_5997 (Large).JPG IMG_0872 (Large).JPG IMG_0869 (Large).JPG IMG_6023 (Large).JPG IMG_6116 (Large).JPG IMG_0885 (Large).JPG IMG_5992 (Large).JPG IMG_5997 (Large).JPG Team-Pic (Large).png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AhSpray

Assistant Gaffer
Apr 25, 2003
Escondido
Name
Rob
Boat
AAA+++ Ho
Another epic trip! You guys are killing it. Congratulations on killing more cow. No bovine are safe when the Jihad is on the prowl.
Too cool!

Upvote 0

longboard85

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 14, 2011
    La mesa ca
    Name
    cody
    Boat
    17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
    Slug, way to go Ali you guys are killing it this year I'm super jealous!!!

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    You're f%#ing killing me!!!

You and everyone else nailing these slobs are making me go mental! Ughhh..... just gotta sit back and not hate but congratulate.

Congrats guys...... way to get redemption after the first tackle failure!

BTW...... was the second yummy used rigged with a different hook, or did you just chance it and win on #2.

Grats again!!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
    Admin
    Apr 24, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    That Guy
    Boat
    SeaVee 340Z
    BTW...... was the second yummy used rigged with a different hook, or did you just chance it and win on #2.

Shit no! I cut off and re-rigged with the right stuff. 9/0 7691SS.

Also, the 7732SS Mustad works great.

Upvote 0

freegaff2

Aug 31, 2014
    Name
    Craig Simcox
    Boat
    none
    Nicely done...I know the rail is your friend, but damn I love my Smitty plate :D

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    Thats nice.I just got me a kite the other day.Not sure if Ill even get a chance to use it this season.

Reactions: pwcpwc
    Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
    Jun 21, 2009
    So Cal
    Name
    Hey you
    Boat
    245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
    Awesome report and another incredible local fish.

Mind sharing what you mean by

"plenty of time left before the next tide"

I assume you are targeting the slack tide?

Upvote 0

GETSUM

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 22, 2007
    Name
    ERIC G.
    Boat
    22' ROBALO CC "ON ONE"
    EPIC!

Upvote 0

chef gabe

Eat the collars!
    Aug 23, 2014
    Dana Point
    Name
    Gabe
    Boat
    Aqua Pazza (translates to Crazy Water and this is the name of an Italian Fishermans Stew)
    Great report....fun read. I'm gonna take my son out the whole weekend and try to get him on his first bft. anything would suffice....but 100+ would be awesome. Gonna try the kite thing for the first time too. Anyway...great work and great site.

Jason, Jeff, Tom and I snuck out yesterday for a little more #justkeepskipping. We rolled out to the 43 a little late after making bait in the AM. We got to the high spot and it was a circus. Boats everywhere dragging kites, trolling, etc. We metered around for a minute, didn't see much, put our kite up and went hunting.

We had a few friends in the area and kept in touch. We had all seen some little marks but not the stuff we were looking for. We continued to hunt around. Finally about 10 miles away from the high spot I start seeing the right stuff on the meter. I tell the guys we are going to get bit, it's just a matter of time. About 30 min later, the familiar scream "We're Bit!!!!!!"

We all jump into action. I gun the boat to come tight. Jeff is reeling like hell. Jason is clearing the kite, Tom (FNG) is pretty much stunned. We come tight really quick and settle in. Jason is working the cockpit and I'm on the wheel. This fish stayed up on the surface for the first 20 min or so which is usually a good sign its a big one.

We harnessed Jeff up and he got the drill down really quickly despite not having used one before. This fish was a straight up asshole. All of our other big fish have been surprisingly cooperative and this one, not so mucho. He fought the fish for about an hour and twenty minutes and the fish was now on it's side making the big circles on near the surface. We get a couple looks at it and it's clearly over 200. Probably about 250#. End game time. This is where things go bad.

Just as the fish is making it's last couple of circles behind the boat, he shook his head, turned toward the boat and made a run. I pulled away quickly and Jeff was winding like crazy. It was gone. Hook had bent and pulled. I won't mention the brand other than to say I really only trust my Mustads with big fish. 7691ss in 9/0 has accounted for all of our kite fish. I didn't rig this lure and I ASSUMED it was a Mustad. That won't happen again.

Jeff was exhausted and we were all very pissed off. Tackle failures are unacceptable in my book. One of the few things you can control when you fish is preparation. If you don't like your knot, retie. If your leader is too light, change it. If your reel is worn out, rebuild it. It's cliche but it's so true, when preparation meets opportunity you have success.

At any rate. Pissed and dejected we put the stuff back out and get back at it. We have plenty of time before the next tide and we want redemption.

Not five minutes later while crying in my ice cold Modelo, "We're BIT!!!!!". This time Tom is screaming! He didn't even touch the rod before line was ripping. Same drill. Everyone know's their job.

Now Tom is in the harness for his second time ever. Just like the first fish, this one is a pain in the ass as well. Very tough, squirrely fish. Zigging all around the place diving, running, etc. It would never settle in even after an hour in the fight. Finally we kind of figure him out and we can keep him circling but he just won't get tired. He's upright and green as hell but circling none the less. Finally at the 1.5 hr mark he's showing signs of giving up. He starts showing his sides in the top of the circles. I set the fish up broadside, he plays with us for a few passes and Jeff gets him in the head with an 8' gaff. Jason got a shitty skin shot so I ran down with the 3rd gaff, sunk it in the head and ding dong the witch is dead.

I pride myself on being super calm and collected when I'm on a big fish or driving the boat. I gotta say, I haven't experienced anxiety like this in years. Every time that fish would circle of dive for the props my heart would stop. I don't think I could have stomached another heart breaker. In the end the good guys won. Tom got his fish of a lifetime and we put another notch in the gaffs.

We got in late and weighed the fish this morning at the Marlin Club. I called it 225# and it went 228#. Hell yes! Super stoked.

These are the good old days guys, get out there and make some memories.

View attachment 787506 View attachment 787507 View attachment 787508 View attachment 787509 View attachment 787510 View attachment 787511 View attachment 787512 View attachment 787513 View attachment 787514 View attachment 787515 View attachment 787516 View attachment 787517 View attachment 787518 View attachment 787519

Upvote 0

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
    Jun 28, 2006
    El Cazonn
    Name
    Frank F
    Boat
    Boat-less (Sad)
    Congrads!!!
    I just can't believe this year !
    I guess I'm going to have to try to get out.
    Again sweet job!!

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Another good report!.
    :worship:

Life suck huh!!!
    :frehya2:

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
    Sep 24, 2006
    Anaheim Hills
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Awesome guys and an excellent read, well done!! :appl:

Dang it!!! Thought I'd stay east of the fleet, never saw signal of any kind, you clearly made the right move Captain. :appl:

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
    Admin
  • Feb 4, 2003
    Encinitas, CA USA
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    340Z SeaVee
    Hour before to an hour after the fish have been coming up in to strike zone of the yummee flier. You'll see them go from 300' to 200' then 150'. Find them deep then be over them during the bite time.

Awesome report and another incredible local fish.

Mind sharing what you mean by

"plenty of time left before the next tide"

I assume you are targeting the slack tide?

Reactions: Black-is-Back
    Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
    Sep 24, 2006
    Anaheim Hills
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Hour before to an hour after the fish have been coming up in to strike zone of the yummee flier. You'll see them go from 300' to 200' then 150'. Find them deep then be over them during the bite time.

That right there is dope. Thanks Jason.

Reactions: StaleFish
    Upvote 0