Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Need:
25 LB yellow or blue fin.
1/2 bottle large teryaki sauce
1/3 bottle liquid smoke
full bottle veri veri teryaki
half bag brown sugar

Marinate overnight or longer.Just before putting in dehydrator sprinkle real lightly with hot shot.Ill let it dry for about 8 to 10 hours.
This is how I do it and it comes out dee-lishush!
I get about 3 and a half racks from a single 25 lb tuna.

Side note,dont use the pineapple veri veri teryaki or any sauce with acids like vinegar...it will cook meat during marinade and end up not transluscent and chewy.

tuna jerky1.jpg

tuna jerky.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
Bill. Can you tell me what you are using to make the jerky?

Dehydrator? Smoker? Or?

Also make and model please.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Its an excalibur dehydrator.The model with 9 trays and 2 dials on top.

excalibur dehydrater.jpg

Upvote 0

kelp_fisher

Almost A Member
Jun 9, 2014
San Diego
Name
Steve
Boat
couch
Yellowtail jerky roughly following this recipe. 160F for 7 hours on Nesco dehydrator. Mmm...those yellowtail fillets won't last long in the freezer.

image.jpg

Reactions: marlyn
Upvote 0

Team Ball's Out

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 18, 2005
Vista
Name
Ray Collier
Boat
23' Sea Swirl Striper
I pretty much do the same for Salmon...1/2 bottle large teryaki sauce Sweet marinade. 1/2 cup brown sugar, place the fish in a 1 gallon freezer bag and let soak for 2 days. Fire up the charcoal smoker and smoke for 2 hours only! During the last half hour of smoking baste with honey till dripping! Trust me it won't last long!

Upvote 0

Team Ball's Out

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 18, 2005
Vista
Name
Ray Collier
Boat
23' Sea Swirl Striper
I pretty much do the same for Salmon...1/2 bottle large teryaki sauce Sweet marinade. 1/2 cup brown sugar, place the fish in a 1 gallon freezer bag and let soak for 2 days. Fire up the charcoal smoker and smoke for 2 hours only! During the last half hour of smoking baste with honey till dripping! Trust me it won't last long!

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Bill curious what else do you guys prepare on the dehydrator? Making a decision to buy a $200+ dehydrator, would imagine you guys use the hell out of it....

I'm curious about this as well........ how about some more info on the dehydrators. Make, model, where to buy, how much, and what other cool stuff you make with these. I'm digging the jerky idea!!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

ash

Chief Inspiration Officer
Aug 28, 2007
North San Diego County
Name
Ash
Boat
Still looking
I'm curious about this as well........ how about some more info on the dehydrators. Make, model, where to buy, how much, and what other cool stuff you make with these. I'm digging the jerky idea!!

The unknown fisherman:p:
Mike the Excalibur 9 tray, Excalibur 3926TB Food Dehydrator, is probably the best bang for your buck. I picked one up online for a little over $200 a while back. After reading the reviews on this model it seemed to be the right choice for me.

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Nice;

Soy Vey is very expensive. When it was hard to find, I just googled it and found it very easy to make. I use it for smoked tuna. Have never used anything else.

Upvote 0