Tuna in the freezer fishy tase wtf

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
Hey guys fished on the searcher 7-28-14 on a five day loaded up the freezer with a bunch of yft bft yt and a few lings been eating the fish a few times a week. However I canned alot of tuna and have mainly been eating that. I thawed a few tuna chunks the other day and bbqed it and it had a strong fishy taste. Is this normal because it wasnt anything like I had when the fish was fresh? Dont wanna waste the tuna you guys think the fishy taste will go away if I can it?

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Hey guys fished on the searcher 7-28-14 on a five day loaded up the freezer with a bunch of yft bft yt and a few lings been eating the fish a few times a week. However I canned alot of tuna and have mainly been eating that. I thawed a few tuna chunks the other day and bbqed it and it had a strong fishy taste. Is this normal because it wasnt anything like I had when the fish was fresh? Dont wanna waste the tuna you guys think the fishy taste will go away if I can it?
brim it in some kosher salt with ice water that way the fish don't get soft' then rinse with ice cold water should help

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Defrost it in a ziplock with milk this will help absorb some of the fishy taste.I don't think anything will help with the BF though it has too much blood in the flesh to freeze or can well.The bloodier the meat the faster it goes south.

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
After it has mostly thawed wrap heavy in paper towels. This will absorb the blood and fishiness. Give it a try and report back

Reactions: nate

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
Paper towels, trim the bloodlines out, more paper towels, vacuum sealer, freezer, >>>, slow thaw, defrost, remove from the bag, more paper towels before you do anything

Reactions: Monster

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I dont care what anybody says,tuna that is frozen for any length of time will be somewhat fishy.You can try and mask it with teriyaki,soy or many different seasonings but the taste is there no matter what.Some guys claim that their processed fish is good for years,i say their taste buds no longer work.

Reactions: bugman and stairman

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Name
Frank
Boat
no
It also depends on the freezer. Vacuum packed fish lasts better in a deep freeze freezer like a chest freezer that isn't a frost free freezer as the frost free constantly go on and off to regulate the temp and so the meat is constantly slightly thawing, refreezing, thawing, refreezing...which degrades the meat faster. All the sushi sold here has usually been frozen at some point...its all about how and when its frozen and stored prior to defrosting.

Oct 29, 2009
BAJA SUR
Name
DA RAT
Boat
NONE
if it is just a mild fishiness, i have canned it and it comes out fine. used to start freezing yellowfin and albacore in my 19 cube upright in july and on the four day thanksgiving holiday, i would can four loads a day in two canners. finished with about 200 jars.

another thing i did was, in a really big pot, fill 3/4 with cold water and add about four ice trays of ice. boil a quart of water and add a cup of non iodized salt to disolve and pour it in the pot and soak the fish for about 1/2 an hour. i would stir it about every ten minutes and this removes the excess blood.

if there was any blood meat, which i cut out before freezing, now is the time to check the fillets and cut out the dark meat.

go ahead and can the fish and i am sure it will be fine UNLESS it is REALLY STRONG. I've been doing this for over 20 years.

GOOD LUCK,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Johnny J

Formally INOXicated
May 10, 2008
Anza, CA USA
www.grip-n-hook.com
Name
John
Boat
not mine
Your freezer was meant to keep things frozen not freeze it. When you get your fish from a processor it is flash frozen which is why it keeps its color better and stays fresher. That is unless you ask them not to freeze it and take it home fresh or unfrozen. Then you should rotate the fish you put in you freezer so it all freezes at the same rate. I have also been told that if you want to flash freeze your own you can put it in an ice chest vacuumed packed of course, cover your catch with a towel, cover that with a layer of dry ice and your fish will be completely frozen in about 3 hours. I have not tried this.

salty brain

Nothing but salt between the ears
Sep 25, 2012
OC
Name
Dave
Boat
what ever floats
I guess I was just going with what I see other guys posting about there processed Tuna lasting for ever, now I know there full of it......

In all seriousness I get a lot of fish processed from 5 star every year vacuum sealed and flash frozen I pick it up a week later ( you cant freeze it right in home freezers of any kind ) nobody I give my fish to ever said it taste fishy. But I have gotten off short range boats were it just smelled fishy due to fish hold just not getting cold enough that goes to the caners. sorry to hear about your fish but the processors do work, important that the fish is handled right after you get it, if they freeze it no ice the ice will just warm up the fish, dry ice works for long hauls home.

pastdue

Almost A Member
May 18, 2006
Mira Mesa
Name
Don Cale
Boat
18.5 Larsen cc Pastdue
Just soaking in whole milk taste like day one I tried the paper towel trick didn't work that good, the whole milk works everytime enjoy

Gil Marlin

World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator
Nov 27, 2003
Laguna Percebu Baja Norte
Name
Scott
Boat
19.655' Aluminum
Fish has to be kept cold from the time you catch it until the time you are ready to prepare to cook it. There are lots of variables beginning with the boat, then the processors then your own freezer...