Tuna in American waters?

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by theredman, Oct 11, 2019.

1. theredman

theredman Member

Name:
    Steve merino
    Boat:
    2016 Ranger Bay 2510
    Any tuna (yellowfin or skippies) in American waters? Would like to launch out of Dana, Oside or Mission Bay?

2. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Yes.

Shewillbemine and mandoman68 like this.
  3. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    You should read the fall topwater post down below

Shewillbemine likes this.
  4. Shewillbemine

Shewillbemine "should of" is NOT a thing

Name:
    Shewillbemine
    Boat:
    Chips N Guac
    Just get a Mexican fishing license and get over that border! It's no big deal and totally worth it for the tonnage.

Capt Devo likes this.
  5. Heavymetal69

Heavymetal69 Newbie

Name:
    Heavymetal691
    Boat:
    Heavy metal
    Yellows and blues off oside....according to some guy

DustinD99 likes this.
  6. theredman

theredman Member

Name:
    Steve merino
    Boat:
    2016 Ranger Bay 2510
    Some of my crew don’t have passports.
    Was hoping to find some fish off our coast

7. chachi10

chachi10 Newbie

Name:
    Chachi
    Boat:
    None
    Don't need passports if you don't fish inshore or the islands

8. Shewillbemine

Name:
    Shewillbemine
    Boat:
    Chips N Guac
    Passports not necessary. If stressed, carry drivers licenses or copies of.

9. gonzo25

gonzo25 GOT A BIG ONE

Name:
    george
    Boat:
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    Passports are required. just because a law isn't enforced doesn't mean it isn't the law and could be at any time. even the u.s. requires a passport to leave or re-enter the u.s. just an fyi for those of you smart enough to check it out for yourself if you think i am wrong;

castone001 likes this.
  10. chachi10

chachi10 Newbie

Name:
    Chachi
    Boat:
    None
    That's incorrect. If you are outside of 12 miles from any Mexican land, you are only required a license. How do you think all these sport boats get away with these trips not requiring passports?

Noah & Scoot, plj46 and soopaflyjm1 like this.
  11. theredman

theredman Member

Name:
    Steve merino
    Boat:
    2016 Ranger Bay 2510
    Is that 12 miles outside of the Coronado’s? Or 12 miles outside mainland Mexico

12. the_tunaman

the_tunaman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Roger Nelson
    Boat:
    Ranger Z20
    12 miles offshore... International waters.

13. Shewillbemine

Name:
    Shewillbemine
    Boat:
    Chips N Guac
    12 miles outside Coronados.

14. Billy L

Billy L USCG licensed Captain

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    25’, 22’, 15’ Whalers
    It’s not Mexico that needs your passport. It’s US that needs it. When you’re in international water, it means you’ve left US. It’s unlikely that DHS will check upon your return but be prepared.

stanky1, Tackleho619 and rick rouland like this.
  15. gonzo25

gonzo25 GOT A BIG ONE

Name:
    george
    Boat:
    Billy is right about the U.S. requirement, if your inside 12 miles the Mexicans require a visa. When the Mexican navy issued their requirements to fish within 12 miles they ended the statement with, outside of 12 miles you will only need a fishing license and a passport. with the way Mexico makes their rules, and the Navy are the ones enforcing them, I would never tell anyone they didn't need a passport outside of 12 miles. if you read international law that 12 miles is supposed to be from the mainland, not the Islands, but Mexico will make it whatever they want to.
    The border patrol has a statement out saying that they don't consider a boat going into Mexican waters and then coming back into u.s. waters has left the country unless it has made port, made land, or made contact with another boat, which is the most deceiving and misleading bullshit i have ever heard. People reading this think that they aren't going to be stopped and checked out or that they wouldn't need a visa to get back into the country, what is it that you think this agency does? or homeland security or the coast guard? This is their job I think the sport boats have some kind of agreement with the Mexicans myself, but like I said and you obviously missed... "just because a law isn't enforced doesn't mean that it isn't the law and maybe at any time." I have seen a lot of stuff about this on line, saying you don''t need a passport past 12 miles, none of it quotes any official statements from Mexico, they all refer to what the sport boats requirements are. Look at all the confusion surrounding getting a visa for on the water, even different Mexican services give the wrong information about where and from whom you can get an on the water visa, but the bottom line is the only place you can get an on the water visa is from the Mexican Navy. For those of you thinking that the sportboats/landings can't have an agreement with the Mexicans let me remind you that when this shit all started the Mexicans tried to work with the sportboats and let them sell vias/fmm so they could keep their business moving smoothly and the sportboats said fuck you we have never had to do this before and we aren't doing it... So the Mexicans said no, fuck you get your gringo ass out of our country and closed fishing at the coronados for a year to the sport boats. any of you remember that? and you don't think that the Mexican Navy sets the rules for what happens on the water in Mexico?
    When i have read a statement from the Navy saying they want to see a passport, and it is a requirement here too, I won't tell someone they don't need one because if that goes sideways i wouldn't want to be the one responsible for their problem.
    Personally I follow the CYA rule and for something that took one trip to downtown and I got it in three days and only costs $15 a year why wouldn't you?
    Why do people make such a big thing out of getting a passport? they are easier and less money than getting a drivers license

Noah & Scoot likes this.
  16. Shewillbemine

Name:
    Shewillbemine
    Boat:
    Chips N Guac
    If one isn't a US Citizen (but here legally) it is a significantly different process to get a passport.

17. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    How did this go from "Tuna in American waters" to passport requirements ? Geez.

18. gonzo25

gonzo25 GOT A BIG ONE

Name:
    george
    Boat:
    IF one isn't a US citizen and is here legally then they will have a passport issued by the country they are a citizen of and the paper work showing they are here legally, so I'm missing your point. I believe you have to be a US citizen to get a US passport

19. flytie

flytie Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    GC
    Boat:
    Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
    Didn't see squat in O-side today. Nothing on the meter, nothing in the spread and no one pulling them over the rail.

Bernz, gonzo25 and Shewillbemine like this.
  20. Shewillbemine

Name:
    Shewillbemine
    Boat:
    Chips N Guac
    I know you're die hard about your passport position because you've painted yourself into a corner.

But you do know passports expire right? And when you said it's so easy to get a passport, I'm reminding you that not everyone who fishes is a US citizen who can easily get a passport.

I'm basically reminding you that you asked why not everyone brings a passport and I gave you one scenario in which it would be more difficult to get one than what you're assuming.

But carry on. You were in the middle of lecturing the internet about passports.

Heavymetal69 likes this.