Wandering Blues

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
I'll be camp hosting in Oregon from late May til mid September. Another gentleman here suggested I try chasing albacore, something I've not had a chance to enjoy in a long time.

Being used to the culture and etiquette of San Diego off shore fishing, I have a few questions I'm hoping you guys will have insight on...

1)Is it possible to reserve a single spot on a boat? They all advertise as charters, which down south means private party. I've seen daily rates but I'm not sure if that's based on booking out an entire boat broken down.

2)Is it primarily fishing on the troll, or is there live bait and iron action where I could lug some gear with me?

3)Generally, is the catch kept by the angler or split amongst the boat?

4)Any other things you might add, such as good operations, times, etc?

I appreciate it! If anyone's around Brownsville this summer, look me up. We'll be parked at Pioneer Park on the Calapooia River. I'll keep the beer cold.

Pipejumper

Dec 17, 2014
Name
Larry
Boat
22' Alumaweld Intruder
You will be closest to Newport/Depoe Bay/Coos Bay ports.

The first two have both styles of charters where you charter the entire boat or buy just a seat.

The boats where you charter the entire boat are probably already booked up for the summer. You could try Newport Marina Store because he just added a new small boat. He also has charters by the seat so he'd be worth a call.

The big boats selling by the seat like to troll. The smaller private charters focus on trolling, iron, dead bait and swim baits depending on what's working.

Trolling is best from late June to early August. After that folks prefer other techniques.

Illwaco has live bait trips that put up insane numbers.

Obviously fish split on private charters is up to the group. I've heard from friends who have done big boats that they split fish evenly.

We have lots of great bottom fish charters out of Newport and Depoe. Salmon will be tough this year so I'd skip it.

You might hang out on a site like this called Ifish in the Salty Dog area. Not unheard of for folks to find open seats.

I am a boat owner and fish Newport but my dance card stays filled up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Windy Bay

Aug 2, 2008
Elkton, OR
Name
Larry
Boat
Skipjack 240, Skipjack Sports Cruiser under construction
I would also suggest Winchester Bay. I sometimes have an open seat. and I sometimes hang out on the other site mentioned. There are also charters out of winchester bay. both boat and single seat.
here is a single seat guy
https://www.winchesterbaycharters.com/

Reactions: Vernonia

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
You can find both charters types. In general, fish are split among all customers. If at all possible, hit Ilwaco for live bait.

As a rule, all boats start with trolling unless they find birds or jumpers. Troll reels goes off and many will convert to on the slide and iron/swim baits. If Ilwaco (where live bait is available) then After the troll fish hits, it's a live bait game. Lots of boats also chum dead chovie bits and may fish dead chunks. 20-40 fish in an express boat (4-6 clients) is not uncommon. 25-45 mile runs are the rule in Oregon.

Nalu does groups of 4 on his Grady 282. Shake n Bake and Mark Youngblood are well respected in Ilwaco. There's also a 40' cat in Ilwaco or garabaldi that gets it done routinely.

Ifish dot net. Salty dog forum will help you.

Wandering Blues

Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
Thanks for the info. Ilwaco is sounding pretty good with the opportunity to throw some iron or bait. Half the fun is feeling the strike and setting the hook. Nothing against working a spread all day, but getting it done up close and personal is even better.

Looks like we'll have Wed & Thurs off, so we can make it an overnite run. My wife loves Astoria.

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
May 14, 2009
San Diego/Tacoma USA
Name
Marcel
Boat
Limited load cattle car
I feel you...Moved up to PNW a few years back, just because I hadn't caught a longfin in over a decade out of SoCal. Tuna fishery here isn't as hectic as charters back in SoCal and what I deem as "ultra" limited load, 6-8 anglers. Plugging the boat in a few hours isn't unheard of and the alberts are good size. (12-25 lbs+) Single angler seats can be found if searched in advance. It's cool like Laurence mentioned above: No long runs out to the spot (usually), trolling and sight fishing for puddling/boiling schools, and minimal paddy hopping. Jig stop, hang one, clear the lines, braille 1's and 2's, and hope to convert bite to WFO. Main bait up here is live chovies and not dines, so get up to speed tossing light again. Surface iron is a blast when they want to chew on top as well. (Tady 45 & C's, JRI-3 & 4's, Salas 6x/7x in standard colors but bring a few with red/pink.) Westport & Ilwaco are the main charter landings. Trips run about 10-12 hours, so more like an extended 3/4 day trip boat in SoCal. Sometimes a single seat will open up on this site from Mark Coleman @ ARSC or Patrick Walker at Tailwalker Charters. I do camping trips in summer and may do Oregon this year. Don't be surprised if I PM you. Plus, I have a friend who just started a new brewery in Astoria! (Ask for Finn Parker @ Reach Break Brewery if you're in the area and drop my name.) Hope you get "hooked" again on albacore here in the PNW like I did, Curtis. I'm hunting bluefin down south before pulling on longfins this year, river fishing is alien to me...
:jig:

Wandering Blues

Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
I do camping trips in summer and may do Oregon this year. Don't be surprised if I PM you. Plus, I have a friend who just started a new brewery in Astoria! (Ask for Finn Parker @ Reach Break Brewery if you're in the area and drop my name.)
:jig:
The park is on a bend of the Calapooia. Apparently there's good smallie fishing right there, and seasonal salmon and hatchery steel nearby. And next to, if not above my love for fishing is chasing down craft beers. Me and the missus have been to close to 400 craft breweries across the US now.

Reactions: kuyamonster

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
Curtis, what I want to know is.... how in the world did you end up camp hosting in Brownsville?! That is one little out-of-the way place! But there are some cool locals..

Regarding the nearby tuna thing, there are plenty of choices in Newport & Depoe Bay. Although you would probably enjoy a 6 pack experience, don't rule out one of the bigger boats. For example the Crackerjack in Newport (Yaquina Bay Charters) does indeed drift fish; he takes a max of 11 on his 43 ft Delta for tuna.

It all depends on where the fish are at any given point in the season. It's pretty common for the fish to be straight out from Newport & Depoe early in the season, but closer from Depoe (shifting north) later in the season (Late Aug. & September). Last year it was red hot out of Charleston (Coos Bay) in June.

It always varies a bit from year to year; we just have to wait and see. Always best if you can be flexible....go on 1 - 2 days notice.

Send me a note when you get up here. We sometimes have a "Tunaholics Anonymous" meeting in / around Corvallis; a good way to meet folks here.

Good Luck, Mark

Wandering Blues

Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
Curtis, what I want to know is.... how in the world did you end up camp hosting in Brownsville?! That is one little out-of-the way place!

Good Luck, Mark
It was one of those serendipitous moments. We were thinking about trying to camp host this summer somewhere for our first time and the Brownsville job came up on a feed I follow. We didn't hear anything for a long while and were in the process of finalizing a gig with the Colorado State Parks system.

The day before we committed to Colorado, we got the call from the Brownsville folks for an interview. We were so impressed with how decent and kind the interviewers were and hoped they might overlook our lack of experience. Long story short, they interviewed quite a few folks, but gave us the nod. So we are really excited to become (even if it's temporary) a part of the community.

We spent 8 weeks in OR in the fall of 2015 looking around and loved it. We almost relocated to Newport, but really fell in love with New Mexico and ended up buying a little place to home base out of. This gig allows us to enjoy OR and put some funds in our travel pot for 2018.

We'll be there May 22 to Sept 12. I'll definitely hit you up. BTW, here was from our last visit--
IMG_2302.JPG

Curtis

Reactions: wils

Meanwhile

Dec 13, 2005
Warren, Oregon
www.meanwhilecharters.com
Name
Randy Kane
Boat
2007 Grady White Marlin, 30.5', w/twin 250's
I'm running a six pack out of Garibaldi but am also buying a new house and building a shop for my boat barn. There are those around that can fit in an odd day here or there, that is what I'm planning to do. I'll group a few trips around 3 days and then get back home to work on the house/shop.

Look around, ask lots of questions on style of fishing. There are many Ilwaco boats that fish live bait, but don't try to fish iron on them. If you fish on a smaller boat more of your time is spent fishing, not running out at 12 knots. I've fished with Nalu out of Depoe Bay and Mike on the Shake M Bake. Both these are first class fishing outfits (I got to run Mike's boat, great platform).

Randy Kane

Meanwhile is a 30' Grady White.