Tuna bait hooks

Oct 29, 2013
Anacortes
Name
Curt
Boat
Duck, Duck, Goose
I'm low on tuna bait hooks and getting ready to restock. Any new recommendations on ringed, size, color, brand? I've been reading about Charlie Brown hooks. Anyone tried them?
Thanks

Last edited:

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
  • Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    I’ve always used rings however I do know how to tie the perfection loop if I could not find rings.

have always used #2, I was hooked on trokar tk7 for a long time but switched to Gamakatsu 18409r because it has a heavier shank and does not bend/break so easy.

long story short Gamakatsu 18409r is my hook for bait.

Reactions: liltrouble
    Upvote 0
    Apr 10, 2019
    San Pedro, CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    La Reina
    Owner Mutu circle hooks have never let me down. You can go with the standard Mutu on an average day, move up to Super Mutu when the tuna get bigger & nastier, or move down to Mutu Hybrids for when you want a stealthier presentation in a picky bite With smaller, school size tuna. Get sizes #4 to 3/0.
    If you are going to use a hook for a bridled jig, I would try using an 8/0 Ringed Super Mutu. Good Luck! Opps! I should pay better attention. I mistakenly thought the original post was for San Diego based tuna fishing. Sorry for jumping the gun on my answer. 🤪

Last edited:

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    KISS
    Why Change. We got everyone stocking our ringed hooks. Use them.

Palomer Knot
    KISS

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Owner Mutu circle hooks have never let me down. You can go with the standard Mutu on an average day, move up to Super Mutu when the tuna get bigger & nastier, or move down to Mutu Hybrids for when you want a stealthier presentation in a picky bite With smaller, school size tuna. Get sizes #4 to 3/0.
    If you are going to use a hook for a bridled jig, I would try using an 8/0 Ringed Super Mutu. Good Luck!
    Lol! Might be thinking of the wrong fishery…. An 8/0 on the tiny anchovies would be a giant weight….

albacore fishery uses small bait and small hooks, we don’t have healthy San Diego sardines! 😜

Upvote 0
    Apr 10, 2019
    San Pedro, CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    La Reina
    Lol! Might be thinking of the wrong fishery…. An 8/0 on the tiny anchovies would be a giant weight….

albacore fishery uses small bait and small hooks, we don’t have healthy San Diego sardines! 😜
    You are right. I was thinking fishing out of San Diego, not the great Northwest. Sorry for any confusion.

Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    For the guys in the PNW, do you ever use Herring for Albie's? Can Herring be caught with Sabiki's reliably? Or are there any bait recievers that have Herring? The Herring I have seen in SF Bay seem on par with Sardines.

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    For the guys in the PNW, do you ever use Herring for Albie's? Can Herring be caught with Sabiki's reliably? Or are there any bait recievers that have Herring? The Herring I have seen in SF Bay seem on par with Sardines.
    We do get an occasional herring in with our scoops of chovies and we can jig them, Early on, I’d grab for those bigger baits and watch the crew around me getting eaten well before me. Rip that off, pin on the chovie and WHAM. Not saying I never get bit on herring, but not as well as 5-6” chovies. Crazy.

Reactions: goatram
    Upvote 0

rmmeyeriv

Sep 12, 2017
    Seattle
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Raider 208
    I'm low on tuna bait hooks and getting ready to restock. Any new recommendations on ringed, size, color, brand? I've been reading about Charlie Brown hooks. Anyone tried them?
    Thanks
    Since you asked about Charlie Brown specifically, I use 2/0 Charlie Brown/quick rig (same brand, I think Charlie Brown is the style and quick rig is the brand, not sure) ringed circles stuck in sardina (local name, they are actually a type of herring) for yellowfin in Baja a lot, from 10 pound schoolies on 30 pound leader up to a 75 pounder on 60 pound that I put a lot of pressure on because a shark swam under the boat right before I hooked it. It did not bend at all with 20lb of drag plus palming the spool in spite of being fairly light wire. Also, the ring is a lot lower profile than most other brands I've used, the eyes are drilled into the forged/flat shank instead of bent, and they are a little cheaper than the owner/gamakatsu etc competitors. For albacore on anchovies like we do here you could drop down to a 1/0, which is the smallest I think. I have not actually used them on albacore but that's because I bought a 100 pack or something like that of #2 ringed owner fly line hooks when I first started trying for albacore up here that I am nowhere near depleting. If I was buying new hooks I would try those 1/0 Charlie browns I think.

Reactions: Ducky Duckworth
    Upvote 0

dragonballs

I'm off probation
  • Mar 28, 2008
    Arlington WA
    Name
    Vance
    Boat
    40' ocean sport fisher
    save the money Westport doesn't have any chovies to sell.

• Sad
    Reactions: Baby J
    Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Blacktail Mutsu circle hooks. Thye are bad ass!

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
    Aug 8, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    "Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
    Like Laurence, we've gotten them mixed in with the bait before. I've tried them a couple of times with the same result... no takers on a wide open stop. Once I dumped the herring and switched to a strong chovie, I would get bit on a 4 count after bait hit the water. You're better off saving the herring for salmon.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    Like Laurence, we've gotten them mixed in with the bait before. I've tried them a couple of times with the same result... no takers on a wide open stop. Once I dumped the herring and switched to a strong chovie, I would get bit on a 4 count after bait hit the water. You're better off saving the herring for salmon.
    Using Chovie for albies ,
    Is like using squid for WSB,
    Candy.

Reactions: Elkfins
    Upvote 0