Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Not Blown-up Yet!"
While coming back from he south ninemile bank after an almost limit of big reds, I usually spend the last hour or so looking for other potential rockfish holes to fill my quota. This time I decided to look for holes on the east-side dropoff of the 9M bank. I started at a 450' drop-off. To my surprise while retrieving my line I notice a school of bullet-sized tuna jumping out of the water around me. I do not care for tuna so I let them pass. About a 1/4 mile away eastward I made another drop at over 600' and again a school of larger tuna were destroying bait yards away from my drifting boat. These were not bullets. Again I left them undisturbed and headed home after another no bitters at that depth. These spots were just in USA waters at the USA/Mexixo border line at about a 220 degree heading from SD Bay mouth, only seven miles out. While going home I noticed many working birds in the area as well as schools of anchovies. The tuna were in the eastside canyon between 9M bank and coast.

I mentioned that to my tuna loving golf buddy and he convinced me to take him there today even though I got the shit kicked out of me 2 days ago out there with a triple swell and a steady 20 mph wind with white caps. Plan today is to go out to this area and let him fish for tuna (chum and chucking while drifting) while I fish for new rockfish holes all in USA waters.

Gotta love the close in diversity of fish in the SD area especially for a bottom hunter like me! However, I could use a few tuna for my lobster hoop nets.

HH

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Please keep up the RECON work, we all want to know the latest.
TIP:
Next time take those bullet Tuna and/or Skipjack, the gills of each stinks for days oozing blood particles, Lobster are dialed in to blood, gills only in your cages is WINNER WINNER Lobster dinner, take my WORD. John.

Added
One more thing, don't spike and/or bleed-out the tuna if plan to use the gills, or at least you want to wait as long as possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Not Blown-up Yet!"
Thanks for the lobster tip.

Went out today where I went a couple of days ago looking for tuna I saw in mass. About 8 miles out at 210 heading. Got there nothing. Trolled due north up the eastside canyon looking for life. After an hour of nada I got impatient as always and turned the boat due west up the front side of the ninemile bank. About in the middle. Dropped down with small sardines and immediately got hit. A new honey hole 8 miles from SD Bay. Left them biting and trolled our way back to the start. Nada except one dry kelp patty. There were birds looking or resting on the water just waiting for the tuna to arrive as well.

I was stoked, he was disappointed but he was going home with excellent table fare.

HH

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Rockfish taste way better but I'll take whatever.

Reactions: caballo del mar
Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Rock fish and tuna. A good catch together or apart.

Upvote 0