Tuna 1-1/8

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by Missgen, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Missgen

Missgen Newbie

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Meijun
    Decided to give Monday a try and hopefully let my boy catch one. After last 3 outings nothing but lost fish(at boat) and bolo head, we finally got 1 and then some. Push off at 5am and head to where the action was the previous days. Thinking that fish moved since we were only ones in area decided to just give it a try anyway. At 6:30 long rigger goes, at first only taking line slowly, so were taking our time hoping for a double. As clearing lines we notice this fish just kicked into second gear cause now he's pealing line faster than we can bring up our others, buy now were down to less then 1/4 spool. So with 2 lines still in water were chasing this fish just to get some line back. After everything settles down the fight is on, my boy working hard for his first Ahi(hopefully), then the fleet of boats arrive. We get back little over half spool when this fish decided he's not having it and starts ripping line like initial run. After the tug of war battle with this fish which takes a total of 5 runs(3 which goes to 1/4 spool or less) we finally see him breach about 20 yards behind boat, damn now we see why this fish is being a SOB. Hour and forty minutes later we got him doing circles under boat, get him to the boat and first swing miss with second swing money shot. Fish in the boat and the high fives begin. Rest a little, clean up and set up the spread. Hour later we take another off short corner, smaller fish which is coming in easier then first. About 40-50 yards behind boat we see big splashes thinking WTH fish starts taking line again. After second run we see line is high and coming in easy, then we realized why about 5 minutes later, I guess it was our tax man coming to collect:finger:(he could have at least left us the collars) Trolled around a little more and called it the day seeing bite had slowed. At least we got one and an eighth and my boys first, scaled in at #220.

Attached Files:

2. shadzdad

shadzdad Member

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    building one
    Very impressive 1st ahi for your son. Too bad about the tax collector but you'll get more next time.

3. Hij

Hij Newbie

Name:
    Jason Hijirida
    Boat:
    25 Force, PAIGE H
    Way to go! I was out there Sunday and talking with Bree and then didn't hear from him the rest of the day. I guess he went way out. Heard he missed one. Glad you guys got one on Monday! Thats a big boy! Sorry about the second ahi, but at least got your lure back.

4. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Max and your son,
    Way to go on the pig, I guess it was inevitable that those bastages were eventually going to come back and haunt the grounds. It is disheartening when I see their dorsals, all part of the game I guess. Glad you got one and a little bit. If nothing else you could see what the second one was eating.

Cheers
    Pat

5. poidog

poidog lurker

Name:
    poidog
    Boat:
    18'
    220 is a beast.:hali_olutta:At least the IRS left the head. Can still make soup

6. dausualinc

dausualinc Newbie

Name:
    Kekoa
    Boat:
    30' Knife
    Great fish and congrats to you and your boy!

7. Pupule

Pupule Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    22 ft Islander
    Too bad about the tax man, but you still managed to boat the big one. Good going!

8. AKEMI TOO

AKEMI TOO Member

Name:
    Steven
    Boat:
    21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
    Nice fish, too bad about the headfish. Talking to Bree this morning at west marine, he showed me the pictures and sounded jealous that he only got misses on sunday.

9. fishintuition

fishintuition Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    the transom
    Great looking fish...still plenty of sash to go around even without the little brother!!

10. JROLAND

JROLAND "Wings of Lightning"

Name:
    JOE ROLAND
    Boat:
    "007" Pursuit 2870 Offshore
    Great job

11. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Max,
    Congrats to you and your son on a beast of a catch.....220lbis alot of ahi! Too bad about the one that ended up to be a meal for some unwanted visitors with black suits! Main thing you had some action and got one take home.

12. hawaiian hammer

hawaiian hammer Googan

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    24' Thunderbird
    good going on your tuna

13. gettingbentwithbo

gettingbentwithbo Get Bent!

Name:
    Bo
    Boat:
    14' Starcraft SF SS
    Nice ahi brudduh!

14. Missgen

Missgen Newbie

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Meijun
    Thanks guys. My boy is hooked and got the fever. Also gave the head to a friend, and yep still made good soup.