Tuna 1-1/8

Missgen

Nov 20, 2010
Hon hi us
Name
Max
Boat
Meijun
Decided to give Monday a try and hopefully let my boy catch one. After last 3 outings nothing but lost fish(at boat) and bolo head, we finally got 1 and then some. Push off at 5am and head to where the action was the previous days. Thinking that fish moved since we were only ones in area decided to just give it a try anyway. At 6:30 long rigger goes, at first only taking line slowly, so were taking our time hoping for a double. As clearing lines we notice this fish just kicked into second gear cause now he's pealing line faster than we can bring up our others, buy now were down to less then 1/4 spool. So with 2 lines still in water were chasing this fish just to get some line back. After everything settles down the fight is on, my boy working hard for his first Ahi(hopefully), then the fleet of boats arrive. We get back little over half spool when this fish decided he's not having it and starts ripping line like initial run. After the tug of war battle with this fish which takes a total of 5 runs(3 which goes to 1/4 spool or less) we finally see him breach about 20 yards behind boat, damn now we see why this fish is being a SOB. Hour and forty minutes later we got him doing circles under boat, get him to the boat and first swing miss with second swing money shot. Fish in the boat and the high fives begin. Rest a little, clean up and set up the spread. Hour later we take another off short corner, smaller fish which is coming in easier then first. About 40-50 yards behind boat we see big splashes thinking WTH fish starts taking line again. After second run we see line is high and coming in easy, then we realized why about 5 minutes later, I guess it was our tax man coming to collect:finger:(he could have at least left us the collars) Trolled around a little more and called it the day seeing bite had slowed. At least we got one and an eighth and my boys first, scaled in at #220.

Attachments

Hij

Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
Way to go! I was out there Sunday and talking with Bree and then didn't hear from him the rest of the day. I guess he went way out. Heard he missed one. Glad you guys got one on Monday! Thats a big boy! Sorry about the second ahi, but at least got your lure back.

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Max and your son,
Way to go on the pig, I guess it was inevitable that those bastages were eventually going to come back and haunt the grounds. It is disheartening when I see their dorsals, all part of the game I guess. Glad you got one and a little bit. If nothing else you could see what the second one was eating.

Cheers
Pat

poidog

lurker
Jun 5, 2012
BI
Name
poidog
Boat
18'
220 is a beast.:hali_olutta:At least the IRS left the head. Can still make soup

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Too bad about the tax man, but you still managed to boat the big one. Good going!

AKEMI TOO

Nov 20, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
Name
Steven
Boat
21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
Nice fish, too bad about the headfish. Talking to Bree this morning at west marine, he showed me the pictures and sounded jealous that he only got misses on sunday.

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Max,
Congrats to you and your son on a beast of a catch.....220lbis alot of ahi! Too bad about the one that ended up to be a meal for some unwanted visitors with black suits! Main thing you had some action and got one take home.

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
Nice ahi brudduh!

Missgen

Nov 20, 2010
Hon hi us
Name
Max
Boat
Meijun
Thanks guys. My boy is hooked and got the fever. Also gave the head to a friend, and yep still made good soup.