Seeking Kodak Moments
  • May 17, 2011
    Shelton, WA Mason
    www.sagecreekforums.com
    Name
    Greg Eastman
    Boat
    Kodak II - Arima SL 22
    High hope for our (finally) first trip that made it out of the harbor for TUNA this season. LOng time fishing buddies Mike and Hank were crew and I was the youngest at 76.
    Standard ice and launch the day before - prep the boat and rig the rods. Pink sky as we motor out ( No O2 sensor alarm thank you ) and as smooth of a Westport bar crossing we've encountered. Good speed much of the way up to 22 mph in open water- mostly 18 - 53 miles took 2:45. Arimas are not speed boats in swells nor heavy chop.

We had a boat following in our wake much of the trip out- he even stopped to watch as we circled back and threw iron and swim baits at a boil we saw in 59 degree that was probably dolphins.

We got to the 47 10/ 125 10 grid we chose as a starting point after passing a couple 6 packs trolling the opposite direction, put out 4 trolling set ups in 61.5 water and an hour later we had a hit on the daisy chain cedar plug. Mike grabbed the rod and after a strong run when it saw the boat I got a clean gaff shot on a mid teen Albie.

Back trolling as the S wind started to pick up. I had seen the NOAA forecast for 5-15, then 10-20 S/ SE winds but they are often pessimistic with broad area forecasts. Windy and Magic Seaweed have been more reliable in my experience and their forecast was more managable.

NOAA was correct.
    The S windwaves built to 3-4' and met the west primary swell that built up. The criss cross 'waffle wave' effect got very lumpy. We fished until almost 3 with not another bite, let alone fish. The trip back was safe ( thank you Arima) but not pleasant. We got back after a 3 hour run with speeds varieing from 12-18 with slides off the front of the swell getting to 26. The bar crossing was again pretty smooth. Tied up at the dock and while Mike went to get the truck I helped a guy who was loading his boat solo.

Lost one Bearing Buddy on the trailer but no gear or Pax so count the trip a success.

I'll try to add a video later.

T1.jpg

T2 SR.jpg

T3 M.jpg

T4 H.jpg

T5 BD.jpg

T W.jpg

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
  • May 17, 2011
    Shelton, WA Mason
    www.sagecreekforums.com