Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
Rounded up a few buds and took the Tuna Jihad out looking for BFT. After a bumpy night we woke up to meter marks in the 85 mile south zone.

Metered around for bit. Found a nice chunk and started chumming. Almost instantly we saw boils and they stayed with us for 5 hours.

Unfortunately, they didn't bite that well. WE ended up with 3 fish in the 30# range and 10 or so raked baits, pulled hooks, etc. For whatever reason these fish just aren't super fired up to eat a hook bait yet.

Billy was the hot stick fishing 23# test and a small circle hook.

We'd chum, they'd boil and not a eat a bait.

Good times with a good crew none the less and great to scratch the itch. Great to see the old girl still getting it done. We haven't fished her much in the last year.

For guys thinking of going on the weekend, I'd probably hold off. It's really a sportboat game right now and yesterday they went off the bite for most of the big boats.

Shouldn't be too much longer.

PS - Any ideas as to what happened to this mangled fish? We can't figure it out but it was healing and he ate a bait.

Ali

IMG_2057.JPG IMG_2051.JPG IMG_2050.JPG IMG_2046.JPG IMG_2044.JPG

Upvote 0

Danny

Fish Doper
May 17, 2009
Torrance
Name
Danny
Boat
SS FAT GUY
You guys would have done much better with me on the boat :D

Reactions: mrkrabs
Upvote 0

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    Bummed i missed your call ...lol . Next time :D. Congrats on the fish guys.

Reactions: Willdoggy
    Upvote 0

PoolMan

7 'dines short of a full scoop
    Nov 7, 2005
    La Costa
    Name
    Chuck G
    Boat
    8' sabot #69
    It looks like it tore out of a head-gaff shot in the last week or so. Anyone lose a tuna at gaff. Ali has it.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Action and a warm up. 13 nibbles and 3 fish. Busy

It was one of these that tried to eat the tunafish
    hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: 5-20
    Upvote 0

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
    --
    Name
    StephenKatSea
    Boat
    .--.
    Congrats on your early season scouting and catching. 31 Innovators were designed and built to fish. So good to see they're still a solid machine. Odd damage to that fish. Perhaps a purse seine escapee?

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    23 lb. test?

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    The largest giant squid recorded that I have heard of. Was 60 feet and weighed a ton. Known to eat small whales

Lost the 60 foot piggy backer giant squid. Wtg fellas

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Was thinking possible sword.

East cape a respectable blue marlin chased and harassed a good grade yft I hooked. Got my ass kicked heavily as the tuna was trying to escape from the marlin and I. Got the yft close to gaff and it appeared its eye popped out. I thought it was from the fish over straining trying to escape from the marlin and I. My TN30 dog broke. Fish sank out and broke off as I was exhausted and couldn't hold the fish when the dog first broke. I don't break off 90ish fish on 50#, TN30 had all the upgrades and was packed with spectra.. I think the blue stuck the yfts eye with its bill. Is my best conclusion. Took me a year afterwards to think of that scenario

Which is why that fish had extra extra extra spirit and broke off. Fish don't really know what being hooked is. But they do recognize when a big fish is trying to eat them

Maybe sword. Natural hunting environment. A few days prior

Btw. Later down the road. That same TN30 with a 50# mono top shot landed a 170lb yft on a wahoo jig

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    15 years ago or so.

Actually after reminiscing. Got tooled so hard from the marlin harrasing the tuna. That when the dog broke with the fish almost at gaff and line was lost. When I got the fish back to the boat again and was close to heat stroke and passing out. Being whipped the captain saw it and tried to handline the last few feet to gaff. And then the line parted with the yfts bulging eye. No shock absorption with hand line. But I would had lost it anyways.

Honestly. That was a seriously ass kicking. Super charged tuna by blue marlin chaser.

Then cabo for bachelor party. Should had named shots, super charged yft with a blue marlin chaser

Interesting the most worked I have ever got before, 2 times. Was on the same reel and rod and top shot. With a huge weight difference

Reactions: Workplacesafety
    Upvote 0