PENN

MD2B

Sep 6, 2017
City of Angels
Name
schoolie
Boat
Does my bathtub count?
Saw the Truline (typically a charter boat) pop up on the schedule just as the BFT bite was picking up at Tanner so decided to pull the trigger.

Left 22nd St Landing a few minutes ahead of time (this ends up being key later).

Picked up some sorry looking 'dines at the bait receiver - 2/3rds were bloodied and most were lethargic. Boat had issues with the bait rolling the night prior so captain and crew were meticulous in taking small (10-20 'dines at a time) scoops when transferring to the bait tank to keep the weight from crushing what little life was left in them. Also didn't help when some idiots in a 24ft pleasure craft blew by the bait receiver at 20 knots (yup, inside the harbor) and knocked the bait around with their wake.

The usual pep talk, and we're off. Captain makes the right call in throwing the long-bomb rather than fishing Clemente as they had the night before. Straight shot to Tanner in flat calm weather, we drop anchor at 6am sharp and pretty much are the last ones to get a decent spot at the bank (as mentioned, leaving early was key). We saw the Freedom roll up an hour later and they had to drive around a bit before finally parking. There were about 20 other boats there, including much of the SD fleet and a few PBs.

Lines in the water and its hook-up-o'clock after about 5 minutes. The first 2 fish were taken on flat falls and the rest came on flyline. I hook up about 10 minutes in and land fish #1 (BFT, 25lbs) about 10 minutes later. Rinse, wash, repeat. Fish #2 (BFT, 30lbs) bites and comes over the rail in 5 minutes. It's not yet 7:30 and I'm sitting pretty with my limit. My main concern until that point was having to fish in the afternoon heat 😓. It's a steady plunker bite from there on out. I hook fish #3 (YT, 20lbs) and hand off to the only kid of board. We throw it in low gear and he cranks that bad boy in and promptly heads into the cabin and knocks out 😴. Bite slows down, we pick up anchor and do a quick move. Fish on the sonar so I drop down the best bait I can find and fish #4 (BFT, 25lbs) decides it looks good enough to eat; I hook and hand off to a young gentleman who has never caught a BFT. He takes the stick awkwardly at first but is pumping like a pro by the end and is speechless when it comes over the rail. Happy for him and he promptly buys me a beer :cheers: and ends up getting my fish cleaning tab without asking. A reel (pun intended) nice guy. Most fish were in the 25-35lb class. Seals everywhere made things difficult, as did sporadic rain. Fish were biting, but not quite like the day before when everyone was coming back with limits. We pull anchor around 11:30 and zig-zag our way home.

On the way back (5-15 miles northwest of Tanner), we see a couple schools of breaking BFT (60-100 lbers) but can't get any to stick. This was due in part to the bait, which was even sorrier looking than it was the night before. I'm convinced that a hot bait would have been picked one up. A few of these larger models were landed the following day by other boats. We tried every kind of lure but no dice. Passed by a few kelps but no one home. Glad to see the larger BF are making a comeback. I'll be sure to say hello to them again in a month or two.

Glassy water made for smooth sailing, back at the dock a few minutes early and home in time to enjoy some fresh fish with the girlfriend. She helped me pack / label the entire catch; I guess you could say she's a keeper 😉.

Shout out to the crew who were hilarious, professional, helpful, and only fished if there was absolutely nothing going on. The captain was outstanding as well - kept us well informed, polled the passengers on what we wanted to do, and most importantly, put us on the fish. There were quite a few novice anglers on board so I'm convinced we would have had 8-10 more BFT with a more experienced group. 2 guys put on >50% of the fish for the entire boat. The other gentleman (didn't catch his name) was also limited out within a hour and kindly hooked up and handed off the biggest BFT of the day (38 lbs) to the only lady passenger. Hats off to him.

Just The Facts:
Boat: Truline, 22nd St Landing
Passengers: 16
Area Fished: Tanner
Fish count: 13 BFT, 1 YT. 8-9 casualties
Gear: Daiwa Proteus 8H, Penn Fathom 25N LD2, 65lb braid to 30lb mono topshot to 30lb FC leader and 1/0 ringed circle hooks

Again, boat, captain, crew were a class act, would 100% fish with them again. The fish are around, so get out there.

-MD2B

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MD2B

Sep 6, 2017
City of Angels
Name
schoolie
Boat
Does my bathtub count?
Great report. How do you like that Proteus? Im looking at that or the Okuma PCH 801H.

I love the Proteus- I have 4 (MH, H, XH (spinning) and an inshore model. I also have a PCH but find that it shuts off a bit too fast for me.

Nice bend, nice and light. Matte finish makes it look clean. Narrow diameter means its easy to fit in rod holders / protectors. The H model is a perfect 30lb stick (It's rated higher, but I think it tops out at 40lb line / leader). I've landed tuna up to #60 on although that was pushing it. Highly recommend.

Upvote 0

Pokilover

Pokilover
Nov 29, 2010
Costa MesA /Ca./USA
Name
Kevin Valencia
Boat
overnight party boats
Now thats a report! Informative, detailed, and a fun read too. The fact that you and the other high stick hooked and handed, was freaking awesome. Even better the young man picked up your tab for fish cleaning and bought you a beer! Don't want to sound all sappy, but guaranteed you made an impression on him and he'll pay it forward in years to come. I've met some cool peeps on trips before,
but had plenty of trips where there were guys just wound up way way to tight,
LOL. Congrats on a great day on the water.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Looks like Tanner was a winner!

Upvote 0