Cookie Purveyor
Feb 15, 2007
South Bay
www.facebook.com
Name
Pam
Boat
Can I Fish on Yours...?
Quick report... we left 22nd Street as soon as all 23 anglers were on board. The boat was loaded with huge sardines and some tiny anchovy for chum. Plan was to try to make squid at Catalina.
Well, come morning I heard we hadn't done real well on the squid, we had a couple of scoops worth that we'd have to be very conservative with. We also had plenty of frozen squid. We were anchored in the cove at San Clemente Island, with lots of company. Sat there thru sunrise and into the morning with no real bites, and a little excitement generated by some bat rays...
Captain Jon pulled anchor, as did several other boats around us. We headed one direction; everyone else headed the other way. We pulled in close to a kelp line and dropped anchor. Calico bass eagerly attacked the frozen squid, everyone had their bass rods out, then two anglers hooked up with what was obviously yellowtail, both were lost relatively quickly. I grabbed by 30# and deckhand Mike was putting out live squid. I hooked the biggest one I could find, tossed out, got bit immediately, and put our first yellowtail of the day on the boat.
We had a steady pick going, and a couple of the other boats came around the point... Captain Jon had called to let the rest of them know we had some biters. We kept catching for a couple of hours, before the bite fizzled. We went off a ways from the island and did a few drifts for rock fish, which gave everyone a chance to pick up a few more fish, then back inside along the kelps for a while before we called it a day.
We made the best of our limited quantity of squid, and ended up with 42 yellowtail, 19 calico bass (and MANY more released!), 24 sheephead, and a bunch of miscellaneous rock fish. I went 3 for 5 on the yellows and took JP with one of them. Poseidon Fishing Adventures had Baja Fish Gear gift certificates for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd fishes, so that was a nice little bonus. The crew got the JP $'s, and I put spectra on the reel I won at the last ISWAC club meeting with the gift card!
Yellowtail were caught probably close to half and half on live squid and jigs. sliding sinker worked best with the squid, but quite a few were caught on headheads as well. The color on the jigs didn't seem to matter much at all, other than a lighter color (mint and white, blue and white, etc.) seemed to be preferred.
It was a really fun trip, with lots of nice people, and good fishing. Captain Jon Watanabe always has a very friendly and professional crew on the Truline, and this trip was no different!
Group.jpg

Happy Group!! 42 yellowtail for 23 anglers!

05-17b Truline 006.jpg

Two of the three I got...

Artie.jpg

Artie shows us how its done on the iron...

05-17b Truline 003.jpg

Jackpot Fish.

Aug 2, 2009
HB
Name
Mike
Boat
Shamrock CC
Sounds like a great overnight, it's been a while since I have fished the Truline......gotta get on one of their overnights. Congrats on the jackpot.

Reactions: The Sea Hag

ftsleepad

Oct 9, 2009
Torrance, CA, USA
Name
Paul
Boat
Nada
NJ again on the JP Pam. Was a pleasure fishing with you. You kicked butt. I told you we'd get em since you were on the boat! Good luck on your trip on the Fortune. See you on the next trip!

poncherello

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 11, 2005
san Diego
Name
Jerry
Boat
none
Sweet report. Good future karma on giving the JP to the crew.

Hope its an early sign of great things to come

RedBoatBob

May 20, 2003
San Pedro
Name
Bob
Boat
Kingfisher 2625 Coastal Express
When you got up you "heard" they had not done real well on squid? You didn't even attempt to help make bait with the other passengers?

Reactions: slydawg

ftsleepad

Oct 9, 2009
Torrance, CA, USA
Name
Paul
Boat
Nada
LoL....^^way to focus on the positive. We left the dock around 715pm and got to the bait grounds around 1030pm. We looked at a couple of spots of squid but it was right after a full moon and we couldnt get any real meat. Most of the bait was brailed 1-2 at a time. A very few pieces were caught on jigs. There were about 6 guys jigging plus Mikey, Rob, and Gino taking a few swipes with the crowder. We ended up with about a scoop to a scoop and a half and left Cat around 1am. The crew had pointed out that the charter could opt to buy squid from a lightboat if there was any available and most of the passengers seemed amenable to that but noone had any squid for us. Thankfully there were no guys on the boat that just went hog wild with the live (you know...the guy that pins three live squid on a jig and promptly catches batrays...) and like Pam said, the crew was pretty good about monitoring the bait we had and we were able to eke it out throughout the day. We actually ended the day with squid still on the boat. All in all it was really nice weather and a pretty good day of fishing. Leave it at that.

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
I was on the O 95 at SCI. We had a lot of live squid that the crew was able to get a few nights before. They did hand off bait at the island but it went to the tornado when we were leaving. I got my (2) yellows on the iron.

BiggetyBones

MiggetyMac
Jun 10, 2005
So Cal
Name
MiggetyMac
Boat
Broke Again!!
Congrats on the JP!
Can you tell me if they were catching the yellows with the surface iron or yo yo?
How big was the sliding sinker you were using?
Thanks!

The Sea Hag

Cookie Purveyor
Feb 15, 2007
South Bay
www.facebook.com
Name
Pam
Boat
Can I Fish on Yours...?
The trips that I've been on this spring the yellowtail that were on iron were on yoyo... cast a ways out, dropped to the bottom, wind up what feels like about halfway, drop again. When you're getting close to straight up and down, wind in and cast a ways out again. Color doesn't seem to matter much, but on the lighter spectrum; while and blue, white and mint, white and "bird poop"...

Sliding sinker you want to get down in the water column, but not end up on the bottom, probably 1/2 ounce. I haven't been out in any screaming current, if you are you want a heavier weight to cover the depths... very few yellows on the surface.

A lot of them have also been on dropper loop, so toward the bottom. We haven't needed a lot of weight to hold the bottom, there hasn't been a whole lot of current.

Reactions: Danny

BiggetyBones

MiggetyMac
Jun 10, 2005
So Cal
Name
MiggetyMac
Boat
Broke Again!!
The trips that I've been on this spring the yellowtail that were on iron were on yoyo... cast a ways out, dropped to the bottom, wind up what feels like about halfway, drop again. When you're getting close to straight up and down, wind in and cast a ways out again. Color doesn't seem to matter much, but on the lighter spectrum; while and blue, white and mint, white and "bird poop"...

Sliding sinker you want to get down in the water column, but not end up on the bottom, probably 1/2 ounce. I haven't been out in any screaming current, if you are you want a heavier weight to cover the depths... very few yellows on the surface.

A lot of them have also been on dropper loop, so toward the bottom. We haven't needed a lot of weight to hold the bottom, there hasn't been a whole lot of current.
Your response is much appreciated. Thank you for the 411!