Truline 39

here'smymule

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 17, 2010
Culver City
Name
Tony Rezzato
Jerr- decent rod? We are going to have to get together to show rods. Congrats!..
Timmy. Got some health issues. Had to back off a little. Did a17 day, had a decent Calico on the iron day, big yellows on the Horseshoe. Got to go to the doc tomorrow but will be out on Friday.
Jerr- Tim wrapped a black 39 for me in1973. It delaminated. I have pieces.

here'smymule

Nov 17, 2010
Culver City
Name
Tony Rezzato
Hey Jerr! Got a red one & a green one and two of the late 80's models that Ofinger had Collins make.
What a privilege.

here'smymule

Nov 17, 2010
Culver City
Name
Tony Rezzato
Been busy. Green one is extremely fine condition-$3000. Red one is new; wrapped twice. It has never been used. $.2500
Other two are late 80's from the Ofinger batch(had a dozen run in 1988) Both used. Both are in better condition than most of the stuff you see these days. Neither has been refinished. $800-$1000.
Pics. What for? You got to pull on them to form an opinion

here'smymule

Nov 17, 2010
Culver City
Name
Tony Rezzato
What's the perfect reel to go on a 39?
First time I used Irv's, it had a 113H on it with 60# Meslon.

ironmike

ironmike
Aug 19, 2004
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
nope, need to go with you or Cattle Boats
Indeed, Jerr, you are correct. The "39" refers to 39 thread braided fishing line. The "39" was the equivalent of today's 130# line catagory of the IGFA. There were "9", '15", & "27" thread catagories that roughly translate to "30", "50", & "80" pound line catagories.
Truline made a complete line of fishing rods in the 60's. Fly rods, bait casting, spinning, conventional & trolling rods were all made. There was a stir recently when some rods came up for sale in West Los Angeles at a flower shop. These "flower shop" rods included some interesting offerings and advertised a 39. There was a certain clamor and immediate interest and the owner not really being experienced in Truline matters represented as the genuine item. Of course, it was. But, it was a trolling rod, detachable butt, rollers and at 6'8".
The 8'+ rods we prize are what the trolling rods were made out of by cutting.

Now, how about this question: Who owned the 1st full length 39? Who owned the 2nd? By, the way the first two were both factory wraps- Mildrum conventional guides, Mildrum carbide tip/top, wraped black over red over white, species cork handle; Varmac nf4 reel seat, & a very strained Dynamo butt cap.

I have an IGFA factory line class 3 thread, 10lb. class with gold Aftco round rollers, same era rods. I had the whole set, but let them go years ago, only this one and a "Root Beer" Roddy unlimited left. I knew why for most all the Truline models, but the 36 always confounded me...it was a "100" like the M100 the MH100 and T100 but why the "36"? it wasn't a 120lb. class rod.

here'smymule

Nov 17, 2010
Culver City
Name
Tony Rezzato
Hey Mike- thanks for chiming in. I've been busy with open heart surgery; had a valve job, good to go for many thousands of miles more.
I remember that unlimited Roddy. There was a store near Artesia & Inglewood Ave called Sportsville or something like that- Pete remembers. As a kid my parents would stop there.They had all the Roddy rods. I remember that big one circa 1962.
Hey, why is a 36 called a 36? I WANT TO KNOW. Just got one I like.

Reactions: Mrfrankeeg

reel man

Common sense
Dec 31, 2004
Burbank, CA
Name
Jerry
Boat
Spirit of Adventure
Hey Mike- thanks for chiming in. I've been busy with open heart surgery; had a valve job, good to go for many thousands of miles more.
I remember that unlimited Roddy. There was a store near Artesia & Inglewood Ave called Sportsville or something like that- Pete remembers. As a kid my parents would stop there.They had all the Roddy rods. I remember that big one circa 1962.
Hey, why is a 36 called a 36? I WANT TO KNOW. Just got one I like.
Was it the number of layers of glass rolled on the mandrel?

Reactions: Bigfishhateme

here'smymule

Nov 17, 2010
Culver City
Name
Tony Rezzato
Wow Jerry! That might be it! If it's not, it sure sounds great. I'll use it.
A few years ago I contacted Mike Arguellas jr. He retired after 30 years with LAFD. His father Mike sr. was a LAPD captain and uncle a fire captain. Both were close personal friends with John Collins. Apparently Collins would wrap LAPD & LAFD Special rods and the brothers orgainized competitive charters. Mike jr. , I think, was more interested in being questioned by my on having retired at $105,000.00- was on L.A. Times front page & was quite surprised that I wanted to talk Truline. I knew them from Visitation Parish in Westchester where sang with the families in the choir. Anyway, he was irritated, did not have a cache of rods or blanks and was quite clear that he hated Truline as his dad would make him work at the booth at the fishing show.
He did mention one very interesting thing. His dad Mike sr. was the one who thought up the Octagon rod; had the die made to push a warm tapered round rod into to impart the eight flat spots in the middle of the blank. First one was made in a garage in Westchester.

Mar 24, 2010
San Diego
www.biggame90.net
Name
Irv / Mike
Boat
Reports From The Bridge
Hey Tony good question
I thought about it and came up with a 3 way tie
My Trulines where for the most part green glass and my favorites rods where
A 4X for 20lb and 25lb bait
A 5X with 30 or 40lb for bait or surface jigs like candy bars and small heavy like a yoyo 4 or 1x100 until the 540s came along I could through a surface iron dam near as far with a 5x and 30 lb on a Jig Master as the guys with the Harnell 542s and do it down the side of the house on most boats where the Harnell was just too long
A HD8 for 50 and 60 lb ON A 4/0 for fishing big baits like greenies with a treble hook or I would put a black 3/0 with a reeldeel on it and yoyo bigger jigs like a yo yo 3 or a heavy 7X

With those 3 outfits you could do a lot of fishing then and now

reel man

Common sense
Dec 31, 2004
Burbank, CA
Name
Jerry
Boat
Spirit of Adventure
Hey Tony good question
I thought about it and came up with a 3 way tie
My Trulines where for the most part green glass and my favorites rods where
A 4X for 20lb and 25lb bait
A 5X with 30 or 40lb for bait or surface jigs like candy bars and small heavy like a yoyo 4 or 1x100 until the 540s came along I could through a surface iron dam near as far with a 5x and 30 lb on a Jig Master as the guys with the Harnell 542s and do it down the side of the house on most boats where the Harnell was just too long
A HD8 for 50 and 60 lb ON A 4/0 for fishing big baits like greenies with a treble hook or I would put a black 3/0 with a reeldeel on it and yoyo bigger jigs like a yo yo 3 or a heavy 7X

With those 3 outfits you could do a lot of fishing then and now
Bout 3 years ago I fished a D7 and XR7, and fell in love with glass again. Forgot how smooth the bend was yet provide all the power you needed for the tails and hoos. Now have 3 each, and added a Sabre SC672C to my arsenal for yo yo tails. Sometimes old is as good, or better than the new graphite stuff.

here'smymule

Nov 17, 2010
Culver City
Name
Tony Rezzato
I'd like an XR7 too..
A few years ago I got into this pissing match with a guy on eBay for a 6'8" Cobra 50. Went from $45 to $100. I won. Oh boy. Asked my son how to weasel out. Not a good idea. So I ate it. Reluctantly paid for it on PayPal late on a Sunday night. There was a tube at my door when I came home from work on Monday. Talk about priority delivery!
Anyway, when I opened it up I found a pretty thrashed rod. Wraps were worn and frayed; hypalon was spongy. The blank was pristine with a beautifully shinny finish on some gorgeous brown/yellow Cobra glass. Stripped the rod down; no model on bottom section. Labeled "Cobra 50" it had a size 12 tip, not a roller. And what a bitchin bend. Added 4" to the butt and Mike Inscore wrapped it for me with Titanium Turbos; what a stick.
Usually fish and HX 2 speed and 60#. I've caught everything on it. Great yoyo/bomb rod. Every got a Calico at Cedros on it.
Oh. I do like the heavy red 36 and green D8, too-and the SX & CMX & the Cobra red D8 Mike's working on!